PopJustice Book Club | Page 124 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. What kind of stuff have you enjoyed in the past? I’ve definitely gone through reading slumps where I’m just not in the mood for certain things. I also used to feel like I should really certain books, rather than just reading whatever I want for fun, and I’ve stopped doing that and now enjoy reading much more!

Dangerous Maknae likes this.
  2. Maybe you're more into fantasy and sci-fi?

Try The Broken Earth trilogy (starts with The Fifth Season). NK Jemisin became the first author to win the Hugo Award three years in a row for it.

Alphableat and Dangerous Maknae like this.

3. These are the books/series that I've been passionate about since childhood:

- the Harry Potter series obviously
    - the Hunger Games series
    - Pretty much everything Agatha Christie has written
    - This seems like a sore thumb in this list but anyways : Gone With the Wind

I've also liked books like The Help and The Girl on Train. And also classics like Daddy Long Legs and Little Women.

I think there's some diversity on my list but yeah it seems like I'm more into fantasy in comparison to other genres. I will definitely check the Broken Earth series to see if there is a translated version of it here. Thank you x

Speaking of translating, I've been working as a free-lance translator for the past year and with the recent lock down that has happened here because of Covid-11, I have a lot of free time and I've decided to do what I've always loved to do: translating a novel. I know it may be still soon for me but I've decided to go big and who knows? I might actually see my name on a book with the help of miss Corona.

4. LTG

LTG

There’s a BBC Hilary Mantel doc on iPlayer atm.

She talks about her life and mainly focuses on the Cromwell trilogy. Worth a watch.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  5. This sounds interesting! It reminds me vaguely of the book Kill The Boy Band, which is also a dark take on pop fandom.

6. Since I have to stay at home for 3 weeks, I've (finally) started reading Donna Tartt's 'The Secret History' for the first time.

I love it. The characters are unbearable, but in a good and realistic way.

7. It’s so great. Enjoy!

8. I took most of my books to Gran Canaria but the lockdown started while I was visiting the family in Fuerteventura so now I don't have most of my books and I'm very

[​IMG]

I mean, I still have like 50 unread ones, but not the ones I really wanted to read next ññ

ANYWAY, I finished The Stone Sky and it really feels like Simone Biles sticking the last landing after a flawless floor routine. Five stars stuff.

I think it's a good time to go back to Lyra and Pantalaimon.

9. If you’re stuck at home and want to tackle a chunky book, A Little Life is one of today’s Kindle daily deals so you can pick it up for 99p!

burzacott, blod, Andrew.L and 3 others like this.
  10. Not chunky, but...

Station Eleven is also £0.99.
    The Discomfort of Evening (currently long-listed for Booker Prize International) is £1.89.

And, if you can read in Spanish, the publishing house Anagrama has put up five books for free:

11. [​IMG]

I've just picked up Guns, Germs & Steel and can't wait to get stuck in. I'll have plenty more free time to read because of the coronavirus crisis, so hoping to work my way through a good few books.

Next on my list is Spillover.

[​IMG]

dirtypony likes this.
  12. LTG

LTG

I started Naomi Alderman’s The Power a few years back but then the library loan ran out. Finally finished it this week after a colleague bought it for me for Secret Santa.

She’s a decent end of times, normal society crumbling kind of book for the current period.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  13. 99p is a good deal, but I honestly feel like if I was stuck at home for days on end, this would be the last book I would want to read. It's...a lot.

RUNAWAY and Alphableat like this.
  14. I started reading The Stand at the beginning of the year but then kind of stopped reading after 100 pages. I've now gone back to it because I find it oddly soothing? It gives me an outlet for my anxiety but doesn't revolve around checking the news every 5 minutes. 10/10 recommend.

15. Understandable. But on the other hand... it’s so bleak that maybe being stuck at home won’t feel so bad!

RUNAWAY and itsthemanbearpig like this.
  16. I bought it because 99p is better than £9.99 but probably won’t get round to reading it immediately. It’s been on my to read list for a while though so I’ll definitely get round to eventually.

Almost finished Red Seas under Red Skies by Scott Lynch and next up is either Beloved by Toni Morrison or Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    Alphableat likes this.
  17. Looking for recommendations. I really fancy a murder mystery/detective fiction that’s gritty and gripping. One set in London would be ideal. Thanks in advance!

I’ve been reading London Fields by Martin Amis, which is beautifully written, but it’s a struggle to keep at because it’s so descriptive and doesn’t seem to be going anywhere quickly (my attention span is not what it once was...).

18. It’s not set in London but I love Jo Nesbo’s Harry Hole series! Great murder mysteries and also suitably gritty.

19. LTG

LTG

The JK Rowling/Robert Galbraith books are decent crime books, and they're London-based. But she's making it harder to support her atm.

20. Just finished the Handmaid's Tale... Wow. Just wow. I dropped the series after the second season because it was running in circles but the end of the book is much more... satisfying... if that makes sense. I want to the read The Testaments now. I also loved Alias Grace (the TV show), has anybody read the book? Is it good? I really enjoyed Atwood's style, so if I have to make an order I might buy them both.

Andrew.L and dirtypony like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.