PopJustice Book Club | Page 130 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. What's the easiest introductory Chimamanda book to get a white, right-winger?

2. [​IMG]

Leopold likes this.
  3. can you tell me more? All I know is her TED Talk, to be honest, but I'm thinking this friend could do with the literature.

4. I think it's the transcript of that ñññññññ

Sadly, I haven't read anything else by her yet, but I've heard nothing but great stuff about Americanah and Half of a Yellow Sun.

Leopold likes this.
  5. LTG

LTG

Half of a Yellow Sun - the Biafran war disrupts middle-class university academic life. Seen through the eyes of a young kid from a village taken in as a servant, the daughter of a rich family, and a wide-eyed British academic.

Purple Hibiscus - coming of age story with a dictatorial father set against the backdrop of a military coup.

Americanah - looks at the different experiences Nigerians can have as immigrants through two former lovers, one who went to the UK and the other to the US.

That Thing Around Your Neck is a short story collection I’ve not got round to yet.

Leopold and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  6. Just finished reading Seven Lies which was a fun, enagaging read and pretty dark at times.

Leopold likes this.
  7. LTG

LTG

I read The Ministry of Fear by Graham Green. Set and published during WWII London, a man starts to suspect he’s got involved in a conspiracy.

I started Girl, Woman, Other yesterday and I’m racing through it. I’d recommend.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  8. I've heard/read many people putting it as their favourite book of 2019. It's so high in my TBR that I might as well get to it.

But first, I need to catch my breath after finishing

[​IMG]

Honestly, breathtaking.

9. I checked how many pages the Evaristo has and... I'm gonna leave that length and girth for when I don't have exams every other day (aka I am in a novella mood).

So I read this today in almost one sitting:

[​IMG]

It is incredible. Like How dare you, Robbie Arnott? You had no right to do that to me! incredible.
    If you're into magical realism (Gabriel García Marquez, Neil Gaiman, etc.), get into it. I can't believe this is his debut and I'm already salivating at the idea of his next novel coming out in just two weeks.

10. My friend recommended "They Both Die at The End" by Adam Silvera and tears were shed. What a book to read during a pandemic and working through a past relationship.
    I'll be sending this book to my friend that I always travel with and lives in Finland...we are going to snail mail our book recommendations from here on out!

11. LTG

LTG

My paperback edition is 450, but it certainly doesn’t feel that long. The structure is almost short story-like, with each chapter about 30-40 pages focussed on one of the characters.

You’ll then see a completely different story or the same events seen through another perspective. I’ve found it hard to concentrate over the lockdown, but this is drawing me in and it’s gagging me.

12. Your description of it reminds me of Disappearing Earth. The trigger of the story (the kidnapping of two sisters) stays in the background for most of the book and most of the time you read about these peripheral female characters and see how that event affected them (or not). I listened to a podcast with the author where she talked about how she wanted to write about different types of violence towards women and I gay gasped when I realised I had overlooked some of them. So much to unpack in it.

I'll get to Girl, Woman, Other soon enough and probably gasp even more. I just don't want the exams in the middle cause I know it's good and I want to savour it.

In the meantime, today I read

[​IMG]

I'm not sure I got the way it's written. It's all in very short chapters. And every chapter is a bunch of paragraphs. And some paragraphs have no relation whatsoever to the story. And sometimes it used first person and other times it was third. And I don't know. It's not bad, but it's not something I'd recommend or want to read again anytime soon.

Oh, well.

--

In Kindle deals (I'm so guilty of helping that man become a trillionaire), the complete works of Virginia Woolf for less than a quid.

13. Finished reading Jonathan Van Ness’ memoir this afternoon. Perfect, succinct little read. They’ve had quite the life so far and a lot of it was super eye opening.

Bobbyrae likes this.
  14. Reads of the week!

Formaldehyde was not it. I adored From the Wreck with a fervent passion, so this was slightly quite disappointing because I was expecting more of that kind of sci-fi / magic realism, but alas. I'll still devour whatever Miss Rawson cooks next.

[​IMG]

--
    And then I read my first Ferrante with The Days of Abandonment. It was very good! One of those stories where you're actually worried about what's happening with the characters. I've heard and read the praise for My Brilliant Friend (both books and TV show) and I thought it was just hype. But I can now see it being amazing.

[​IMG]
    --
    And with that, I have completed my Goodreads challenge of 20 books in 2020! Thanks, Rona.

In other literary news, The Luminaries TV show comes out June 22nd and I will be ignoring it until I can tackle such a girthy book!

dirtypony likes this.
  15. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

Currently reading Murakami's first book of short stories, and other than Barn Burning and Sleep, I'm really having trouble staying interested. Currently I'm to 'A Slow Boat to China' and don't know if I even want to finish at this point. Can anyone tell me if the last 3-4 stories are worth finishing for?

16. I’ve almost finished Kazuo Ishiguro’s The Unconsoled and I’m loving it? Not nearly as ~challenging~ as I was lead to believe it was due to the fact it carries enormous emotional weight and I really care about the characters. I love him for making such an experimental novel so full of pathos and emotion. It’s quite beautiful.

LTG, Trinu 3.0 and RUNAWAY like this.
  17. I’m reading The Remains of the Day at the moment and it’s wonderful. That Nobel was well deserved.

LTG, bakerboy92, Trinu 3.0 and 2 others like this.
  18. Ohhh I read this a few weeks ago and loved it. The film is also very good and would recommend

Alphableat and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  19. Just finished

[​IMG]

I don't know how the translation works in English, but if it is half as good as the original... that's one well deserved Booker International nomination right there.

I wasn't entirely sure about it when I started reading, but once it picks up (and that's just a couple pages in), it doesn't let you go. There's violence and abuse of every kind and the mental images it paints can be horrifying. But it's still one hell of a novel.

20. I’ve just started Trust Exercise by Susan Choi and whew, it’s already electric.

itsthemanbearpig likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.