PopJustice Book Club | Page 164 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. I’ve never read anything other than a physical book. I considered a kindle for a while when my eyes started going but never for round to it. It might be worthwhile eventually though.

I’ve not read tales or the other wind but I agree on your order.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  2. I usually buy myself one physical book a month, because you really can’t beat the feel. I also have a kindle but I’ve never really fallen in love with it? The lack of colour can make using it feel slightly... dull. I’ve been reading on my iPad recently and while I was dubious initially, overall it’s a pretty enjoyable reading experience. The only issue being it doesn’t do well in sunlight, which is where the kindle really makes it’s case.

Alphableat and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  3. Yeah I do enjoy Kindle on its own merits but I do find myself having a hard time concentrating on what I’m reading when I use it. It does make the whole experience somewhat faceless and almost too functional?

It is a sentiment a lot of people relate to, but the whole ritualistic aspect of owning a physical book - flipping pages, texture and smell of paper, closing down the book as you finish reading it - that’s hard to beat.

Raichu and Someboy like this.
  4. I have both. I’ll always prefer physical books, but I’m only precious about a physical copy when I think I’ll want to keep it, or the cover is really nice.

I actually received these from my partner for Christmas. And dear reader, I’m going to marry him. They’re beautiful.

5. I read parent first and was like "okay..........." ñññ

I have a list of physicals I want to get. It might or might not be based on this type of lists.

6. I finished The Nickel Boys last night - what a powerful, sobering read. Not coming from the US, I had never heard of reform schools and how recent they are in terms of history. I thought Colson Whitehead captured the coming of age years and maturing of Elwood as he grows up at Nickel really well done and after I finished the book, I sat in stunned silence for a while.
    After Girl, Woman, Other I’m 2/2 for great books this year (even if I’m reading at a glacial pace compared to normal).

Next up is Wow, no thank you by Samantha Irby which is going to be very different I can tell!

Trinu 3.0 and Alphableat like this.
  7. Can anyone recommend any good thrillers? I'm in the mood for one right now, but everything seems so...blah.

8. No plans to marry any family members, thankfully.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  9. I’m not huge on thrillers, but just had a look back to see what ones I’ve read in the last few years...
    • Three Hours - not particularly groundbreaking, but an interesting take on a school hostage situation
    • The Plotters - Kinda gruesome, lots of fun
    • The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle - probably more of a mystery, but might sate a thriller itch
    • Recursion - FANTASTIC, as long as you are okay with a sci-fi angle
    • A Gentleman in Moscow - okay, probably not quite a thriller, but felt pretty pacy like one, and I found it a delightful surprise
    Oh, and if you haven’t read all of Gillian Flynn’s novels, they’re all great.

10. I'm about a third of the way through The Last Mrs. Parrish right now, which is a thriller. It's a page-turner but not exactly literature, if you know what I mean. As long as you're fine with that I'd recommend it. Especially if you're looking for more relaxed reading or a million descriptions about fashion.

11. Erin Kelly and Louise Candlish both write good thrillers - well-written but very easy to read. I'd recommend He Said/She Said and Our House respectively as good starting points.

12. Thanks for the recommendations everyone! Also @Alphableat, Gillian Flynn owns this h*le

Mike and Alphableat like this.
  13. I just finished What's Mine and Yours by Naima Coster, the author of Halsey Street. There were a lot of characters and back and forth time jumps, but I thought it was a good story about what defines us and how we define ourselves

14. I just finished The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro and I loved it. My interpretation of the plot is that

everyone who Ryder meets, every situation he gets involved with, is a version of himself or some absurd replay of an event from his childhood. He's trying to reconcile events from his bad childhood and "saving the city" is a metaphor for his attempt to save his parents marriage. Inevitably , he can't do it.

I was thoroughly engaged and didn't find it challenging like some people at all. It made Klara And The Sun, which I read immediately beforehand, feel somewhat lightweight in comparison to this mammoth.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.

15. I invented discovered reading for pleasure last year after graduating so lemme start using this thread...

16. jk welcome!

constantino likes this.
  17. Just to keep y'all up to date on my read books for 2021 so far:

- Notes of a Native Son by James Baldwin - Astounding collections of essays about race, gentrification and masculinity.
    - Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood - Probably as 'fun' as dystopian fiction can get.
    - Mother Country: Real Stories of the Windrush Children by Charlie Brinkhurst-Cuff - Phenomenal collection of essays and interviews reflecting on British immigration
    - Come As You Are by Emily Nagoski - Tedious at points but some great moments about how much of pleasure is dictated by the brain rather than your generals.
    - The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers - ONE OF THE BEST NOVELS I'VE EVER READ I FUCKING LOVED IT, INVENTED SCI-FI.
    - Don't Touch My Hair by Emma Dabiri - One of the most meticulously-researched books I've ever read, incredibly informative.
    - We by Yevgeny Zamyatin - Great plot but the writing style was hard to get past at points.

18. Booker Prize International 2021 Longlist:

Shortlist on April 22th!

constantino and LTG like this.
  19. Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  20. Ishiguro has been in every TV show and podcast that touches books and he deserves it all! The amount of podcast episodes I have saved for whenever ññ

Re: Klara
    It took me two weeks to get to the middle bit of the book and yesterday I almost gulped down the other half (yay holidays?) but I stopped myself cause Part Four was... intense. I expected something morbid, but gosh.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.