PopJustice Book Club | Page 176 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. They really said no thanks to black authors this year, huh. A shame when there have been so many lauded books from talented black authors this year. Nathan Harris is the only one who made it. EDIT: Nadifa Mohamed is also black, so it’s not as bad as I thought but still disappointing.

Disappointed to see Lockwood on the list because I did not enjoy her debut at all.

But all-in-all excited to see a load of titles I’ve not heard of in the mix.

I got 5/13 right!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  2. The actual list (cause the Booker website hadn’t updated when I went to sleep ñññ):

A Passage North, Anuk Arudpragasam (Granta Books, Granta Publications)

Second Place, Rachel Cusk, (Faber)

The Promise, Damon Galgut, (Chatto & Windus, Vintage, PRH)

The Sweetness of Water, Nathan Harris (Tinder Press, Headline, Hachette Book Group)

Klara and the Sun, Kazuo Ishiguro (Faber)

An Island, Karen Jennings (Holland House Books)

A Town Called Solace, Mary Lawson (Chatto & Windus, Vintage, PRH)

No One is Talking About This, Patricia Lockwood (Bloomsbury Circus, Bloomsbury Publishing)

The Fortune Men, Nadifa Mohamed (Viking, Penguin General, PRH)

Bewilderment, Richard Powers (Hutchinson Heinemann, PRH)

China Room, Sunjeev Sahota (Harvill Secker, Vintage, PRH)

Great Circle, Maggie Shipstead (Doubleday, Transworld Publishers, PRH)

Light Perpetual, Francis Spufford (Faber)

-

Some of these feel a bit…

[​IMG]

I do have Light Perpetual on my Kindle and I don’t know why (was probably 0.99 at somet point ññ).

I have never read anything by Cusk, Powers or Galgut, so maybe it’s time.

relby and Alphableat like this.
  3. LTG

LTG

I read The Overstory a couple of years back when it was on the shortlist. There were some really good elements in it, but it felt a bit bloated. Nice to see that Bewilderment is shorter.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.

4. [​IMG]

LTG likes this.
  5. I've only read Klara and The Sun from the longlist, any other must-reads from the line-up?

6. In this thread people have praised Cusk (I think it was @Beautiful Child 2 ?), @Alphableat did get the Galgut nod right, and Powers won the Pulitzer back in the day, so I’d go for those?

Anuk is hella cute so that’s another definite! Support pretty authors <3

7. Stan Cusk but her new one left me completely cold. Not a single sentence of that book clicked with me.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  8. I’ve heard nothing but great things about The Promise. From the two pages of The China Room I’ve read and the premise (woman married off to one of three brothers tries to work out who she is married to) I’m interested in that too.

bakerboy92, constantino and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  9. I went into town to pick up some chorizo and go to the bank and before I knew it I was at the till in Hodges Figgis with
    • Heaven by Mieko Kawakami
    • The True Deceiver by Tove Jansson
    • Mr Fox by Barbara Comyns
    • Two Girls, Fat and Thin by Mary Gaitskill
    in my hands. I’m tired of myself.

Alphableat, bakerboy92, LTG and 3 others like this.
  10. I just finished Such A Fun Age by Kiley Reid and it's the most I've enjoyed a novel in a long time. What an absolute pleasure of a read.

11. I loved it, but also remember the ending sort of fizzling out/being a bit of a cop-out? (But also I don't remember what it was again, oop.)

12. I didn't mind the ending because the final section is such a home run.

13. Tolkien really got me heartbroken over a relationship between a brother and sister. Children of Hurin done and sister and a really good read, it’s nice to read about Middle Earth in the 1st age in more detail.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  14. So it's been three years and I am only now finding out there's a book club thread on here dddd. I love reading and I actually want to be an author.

15. [​IMG]

So it's good good? The First Age stories are my favourites of Tolkien (gutted the new TV show isn't touching it either), but I don't know if the books are more Christopher than actual Tolkien.

16. It's really good. From what I can gather from his introductions, Christopher basically sorted the manuscripts from his father and put them together. With the odd edit to phrases and some sentences to link chapters he didn't tamper with what JRR wrote.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  17. Started The Other Wind yesterday and I'm already halfway through it. Le Guin really has a way with words, to the point that one forgets they're reading. I'm already sad that I'm hours away from bidding farewell to Earthsea for good, but phew what a journey.

I think my reading funk had something to do with not actually reading stuff I like? Like, I'm a sci-fi/fantasy nerd at heart and I've just been reading "realistic" fiction for too long. Now, with the adaptations for Foundation, Dune and The Wheel of Time all coming in the next few months, I think I have my next reads set out for me right there. Yay.

Neon Green, Doenjang, Someboy and 5 others like this.
  18. Started on a novel based on the Uncharted games and so far liking it. I love me some Nathan Drake so getting a new adventure with him is excellent.

19. My sister and I are gonna start reading The Wheel of Time together. Both our parents love the series (though my mom hasn't finished it) and we're both like "It's time". I'm really excited, I've only heard good things.

20. Has anyone here read Detransition, Baby? Recently finished and loved. It's like smart, political chick lit if that makes any sense—really soapy but also thoughtful and well-written. A pleasure among other books that either take themselves too seriously or not seriously enough.

constantino and backstreetjoe like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.