PopJustice Book Club | Page 178 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. We have a cover already!

Beautiful Child 2 likes this.
  2. The UK cover is better but… that is dreadful. Those font choices.

3. I love the image but the design…um.

Also designers need to give up neon pastels, I beg.

constantino, Alphableat and codecat like this.
  4. This was definitely um, a series of letters arranged into words, grouped together to form sentences and then organised into paragraphs to form a number of chapters which were then bound together in the form of a book.

Rommers and constantino like this.
  5. I've been really into debuts this year and I'm about to dive into Damnation Spring. WaPo and NYT both gave it glowing reviews this week.

6. Do you have an actual reason why you didn't like it?

7. I'm sort of dreading reading "To Paradise" as much as I am looking forward to it. Mostly just because of what "A Little Life" did to me. I don't know much about it (and I'm trying not to read too much about it) but I have a feeling it's going to be another challenging read.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  8. I just finished Real Life by Brandon Taylor...

[​IMG]

9. I think that was one of the last books I read like in a trance? So well crafted. So beautiful.

I’m kind of dreading his short stories tho ddd

constantino likes this.
  10. I felt so sticky while reading it because every character and scene is drenched in beer and sweat nn.

11. It was pretty dry? The musings on nihilism and the meaning of suffering etc fell flat when they were fed through inarticulate and unconvincing teen characters. Like the glimmers of something thoughtful and powerful were there but the writing was lacking. Nothing popped. It read like a roughly sketched out first draft of a book with great potential.

12. That's fair. It was a very slight story, and I was definitely disappointed coming off of Breasts and Eggs, which was way meatier. But I feel like I just accepted early on that I wasn't exactly the audience for the book. Japan has a huge bullying problem, so I saw the book through that lens.

Beautiful Child 2 likes this.
  13. I am reading Planet of Exile by one and only Ms Le Guin.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  14. Just read the latest by Steve Cavanagh, The Devil’s Advocate. Very good if you’re into legal thrillers- I highly recommend his previous book, Fifty Fifty.

15. Started reading A Passage North and while it is undoubtedly rather beautifully written, it is endless walls of text and my brain is struggling to take it in.

16. Well, I am whelmed. As usual the way she writes is so captivating but the premise itself felt weak and it never really reached the high her books usually tend to do.

I am now reading City of Illusions. So far Hainish Cycle books have been… uneven compare to Earthsea.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  17. I highly recommend you all The Untethered Soul by Michael A.Singe.
    It's the best book I've ever read.

dirtypony likes this.
  18. Has anyone read any Colleen Hoover books? I read It Ends With Us on a TikTok recommendation and it was so good I then read Verity…even better! Can’t wait to read another of hers.

19. I’ve read a few of her books, I’d definitely recommend All Your Perfects.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.