PopJustice Book Club | Page 179 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. I'm reading Cecily Strong's memoir and weeping right now.

4Roses likes this.
  2. Is it just me that avoids a book like the plague if the first quote on the cover is “unputdownable”.

I think I see that on a book every week and it drives me nuts.

3. I'm currently listening to the 5 love languages. I was reading Spotify Teardown but it's all too abstract and academic for me, so I'm gonna switch. I love listening to audiobooks, they go so fast. Every day I enjoy waking up and listening while preparing myself for going to the office and eating breakfast. It gives a nice chance from music as I listen to a lot of up-tempo usually.

4. Finished The Fourth Labyrinth last night. Really loved it, I wish they made it into a proper Uncharted game.

Just started this bad boy

[​IMG]
    And really loving it, it hooked me in by the end of the first page. I love stories like this and this one is going to be good, I can feel it.

5. Finished The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle last night which I thoroughly enjoyed. It took me a while to get into but the time travel and different hosts kept me on my toes and there were quite a few twists I didn’t see coming!
    Now starting Philippa Gregory’s Tudor series, starting with The Lady of the Rivers. Beautifully written and gripping so far!

6. I loved "The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle". I think they're making a Netflix miniseries based on the book.

Currently reading "Sad Janet" by Lucie Britsch. It's funny but I'm kind of wondering where this is going. It's almost stream-of-consciousness type writing, which isn't usually my thing.

bakerboy92 likes this.
  7. Just read The Plot - serviceable but obvious thriller.

Now onto Galgut’s The Promise. The cover is ugly as fuck though and I wish the UK got the same edition as the US.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  8. I was kind of apprehensive about it since hearing the Mrs Dalloway comparisons, as I didn’t get on much with Woolf’s prose. But I’m finding this really intoxicating so far.

9. I wonder how much of this still happens ññ

Slice of Life likes this.
  10. Rooney-tunes, are we ready? Less than a week to go. Has anyone been reading reviews? I scanned through a couple and some adjectives that keep popping up - “cold”, “risky”, “imperfect”…

11. Interesting. Her writing has, for me, always been cold, but I enjoy the clinical accuracy of her observations.

I’m not sure whether I will get the hardback or wait for the paperback next year.

Beautiful Child 2 likes this.
  12. What did you think in the end? I just finished it and thought it was pretty phenomenal. Galgut’s command of perspective is just astonishing — I can’t believe how well he executed it, or how I wasn’t once confused by it.

Best of the Booker longlist I’ve read.

Someboy likes this.
  13. I rattled off The Final Girls Support Group in about 3 days, it was just so damn good. I'm not really one for horror movies but this felt more like a mystery/thriller with a nice nod towards horror.

A few days now into my next book, The Contender by William J. Mann, which is a biography of Marlon Brando.
    I didn't know much about him beforehand but even a little bit into this and all my prior notions of him are shattered. He was such an interesting man who led an often harrowing life. He had his faults but he did seem to be a good man at heart. For someone who was so talented and who has shaped the acting genre and inspired so many, it is really heart-breaking how little joy his career gave him.
    Really shocked how much of an outspoken advocate he was for civil rights, racial and sexual equality and giving voices to the voiceless, in a time when nobody in Hollywood would dare. He was truly ahead of his time in that regard. Major props for him being so open and blunt about how he was sexually fluid too.

14. I’ve just finished the first Earthsea book and I can’t wait to finish the rest. I can’t get enough of the characters and the lore and the actual writing itself. Just wonderful.

Doenjang and dirtypony like this.
  15. He was an incredible actor, but didn’t he also sexually assault an actress whilst filming a sex scene for one of his films…?

16. The whole incident with the butter scene in Last Tango In Paris was all kinds of wrong that wasn't originally in the script, but it was all simulated. Whether of not the Maria Schneider was told (there are differing accounts but it seems if she was told, it was right before they filmed) all seemed to come from the director wanting a real reaction from the scene.
    It's all really seedy and I don't know why Marlon went along with it (by the 70's he'd kind of given up caring about his career and only did it for the money to help him raise turtles), but there was no assault made by him. Doesn't change the fact that it was a horrible situation for Maria and nothing like that should have happened. She and Marlon seemed to keep in touch after so there didn't seem to be bad blood with them. She has said that both she and Marlon (moreso her) were manipulated by the director who by all accounts seemed like a horrible creature.

Marlon had trouble when it came to women, but he never went beyond the line or ignored when a woman said no. Relationship wise, his childhood and the PTSD he had from it ruined any chance of him finding long term stable relationships though.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  17. Thanks for clearing that up for me! I knew I’d heard something about it but couldn’t remember the details of which movie it was and . Unfortunately it’s one of a long line of stories of directors traumatising actresses (in particular).

I’ve finished the first of the Philippa Gregory Tudor series which I enjoyed, and have moved onto the next one The White Queen which deals with the princes in the tower mystery.

I’ve heard great things about The Sympathiser by Viet Thanh Nguyen - has anybody here read it? Here’s the synopsis -

It is April 1975, and Saigon is in chaos. At his villa, a general of the South Vietnamese army is drinking whiskey and, with the help of his trusted captain, drawing up a list of those who will be given passage aboard the last flights out of the country. The general and his compatriots start a new life in Los Angeles, unaware that one among their number, the captain, is secretly observing and reporting on the group to a higher-up in the Viet Cong. The Sympathizer is the story of this captain: a man brought up by an absent French father and a poor Vietnamese mother, a man who went to university in America, but returned to Vietnam to fight for the Communist cause.

I thought I might read that next and take a break from the Philippa Gregory.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.