PopJustice Book Club | Page 180 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Well, I am whelmed. As usual the way she writes is so captivating but the premise itself felt weak and it never really reached the high her books usually tend to do.

I am now reading City of Illusions. So far Hainish Cycle books have been… uneven compare to Earthsea.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  2. I highly recommend you all The Untethered Soul by Michael A.Singe.
    It's the best book I've ever read.

dirtypony likes this.
  3. Has anyone read any Colleen Hoover books? I read It Ends With Us on a TikTok recommendation and it was so good I then read Verity…even better! Can’t wait to read another of hers.

4. I’ve read a few of her books, I’d definitely recommend All Your Perfects.

5. I'm reading Cecily Strong's memoir and weeping right now.

4Roses likes this.
  6. Is it just me that avoids a book like the plague if the first quote on the cover is “unputdownable”.

I think I see that on a book every week and it drives me nuts.

7. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

In the middle of my first Eve Babitz collection, and man, the amount of young writers who have aped her style without having the necessary finesse is… quite high.

8. I'm currently listening to the 5 love languages. I was reading Spotify Teardown but it's all too abstract and academic for me, so I'm gonna switch. I love listening to audiobooks, they go so fast. Every day I enjoy waking up and listening while preparing myself for going to the office and eating breakfast. It gives a nice chance from music as I listen to a lot of up-tempo usually.

9. Finished The Fourth Labyrinth last night. Really loved it, I wish they made it into a proper Uncharted game.

Just started this bad boy

[​IMG]
    And really loving it, it hooked me in by the end of the first page. I love stories like this and this one is going to be good, I can feel it.

10. Finished The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle last night which I thoroughly enjoyed. It took me a while to get into but the time travel and different hosts kept me on my toes and there were quite a few twists I didn’t see coming!
    Now starting Philippa Gregory’s Tudor series, starting with The Lady of the Rivers. Beautifully written and gripping so far!

11. I loved "The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle". I think they're making a Netflix miniseries based on the book.

Currently reading "Sad Janet" by Lucie Britsch. It's funny but I'm kind of wondering where this is going. It's almost stream-of-consciousness type writing, which isn't usually my thing.

bakerboy92 likes this.
  12. Just read The Plot - serviceable but obvious thriller.

Now onto Galgut’s The Promise. The cover is ugly as fuck though and I wish the UK got the same edition as the US.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  13. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

Prepare for things to get sharp, blunt, and a little bleak. I have 30 pages left.

Trinu 3.0 and Alphableat like this.
  14. I was kind of apprehensive about it since hearing the Mrs Dalloway comparisons, as I didn’t get on much with Woolf’s prose. But I’m finding this really intoxicating so far.

15. I wonder how much of this still happens ññ

Slice of Life likes this.
  16. Rooney-tunes, are we ready? Less than a week to go. Has anyone been reading reviews? I scanned through a couple and some adjectives that keep popping up - “cold”, “risky”, “imperfect”…

17. Interesting. Her writing has, for me, always been cold, but I enjoy the clinical accuracy of her observations.

I’m not sure whether I will get the hardback or wait for the paperback next year.

Beautiful Child 2 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.