PopJustice Book Club | Page 181 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. So I finished The Farthest Shore yesterday and I think that’s my favourite of the 3 Earthsea novels I’ve read so far? Maybe it’s because it really spoke to my own anxiety and fear of death. I also found Arren to be a bit more compelling than Tenar was and it certainly helped that Ged was present for greater parts of the story.

Started Foundation today and I’m hooked already.

The way I’ve got back into reading for pleasure this last month has been so lovely, it’s nice to take the time to just immerse myself in different worlds and stories for a bit.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  2. It’s kind of going down like a lead balloon for me.

3. I also decided to prioritise new Rooney, and I’m loving it. Her prose is so enviably precise.

The characters, as ever, are carefully drawn, and thankfully not as irritating as the cast of Conversations With Friends.

I am enjoying the emails a lot more than I expected, too — there are a lot of interesting ideas and anxieties packed in there which I think are a heck of a lot more successful than, say, Patricia Lockwood’s novel. They can feel a bit like Guardian Opinion articles that she has decided to put in a character’s mouth rather than her own, but I often like Guardian Opinion articles so I’m cool with it.

burzacott likes this.
  4. The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett was a delight, cannot wait for the inevitable screen adaptation.

backstreetjoe and Andrew like this.
  5. Booker shortlist:

I have A Passage North and Great Circle, so that's my two next reads... after Foundation.
    Detransition, Baby will have to keep waiting ñññ

6. LTG

LTG

Shortlist
    A Passage North - Anuk Arudpragasam
    The Promise - Damon Galgut
    No One Is Talking About This - Patricia Lockwood
    The Fortune Men - Nadifa Mohamed
    Bewilderment - Richard Powers
    Great Circle - Maggie Shipstead

7. Kinda okay with Ishiguro missing out. He doesn’t need it and it was just fine. Surprised China Room didn’t make it.

The Lockwood book is awful, Arudpragasam’s is exhausting and ultimately not worth it, and Galgut’s is, for me, the standout.

Excited for Bewilderment! I just wish I could get the Canadian edition because it’s beautiful.

upload_2021-9-14_16-55-8.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Trinu 3.0 and Someboy like this.
  8. Award season continues.

National Book Award longlist for fiction:

• Cloud Cuckoo Land, by Anthony Doerr
    • The Love Songs of W.E.B. Du Bois, by Honorée Fanonne Jeffers
    • Matrix, by Lauren Groff
    • Abundance, by Jakob Guanzon
    • Zorrie, by Laird Hunt
    • The Prophets, by Robert Jones, Jr.
    • Intimacies, by Katie Kitamura
    • The Souvenir Museum: Stories, by Elizabeth McCracken
    • Hell of a Book, by Jason Mott
    • Bewilderment, Richard Powers
    Loos like Bewilderment is the it book this season?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    Alphableat likes this.

9. Today, the National Book Foundation announced its 5 Under 35 honorees: five fiction writers under the age of 35 “whose debut work promises to leave a lasting impression on the literary landscape.”

All in my evergrowing TBR, of course!

constantino likes this.
  10. I'm reading Three Floors Up by Eshkol Nevo and so far it's really good. The first story *ucked me up, can't wait to read the second one tonight.
    After watching the legendary Selena Gomez in Only Murders In The Building.

11. My final thoughts on new Sally Rooney? I kinda wish she had just released a book of essays. She has alot to say on the subject of fame (in particular), modernity, sexuality and faith (amongst other topics) and while it was interesting to read these thoughts - her writing is characteristically clear and intelligent and without pretension - it didn’t quite meld successfully with the “plot” of the book. In fact said plot felt more like a hastily sketched in version of what we’ve come to expect from a Sally Rooney book to facilitate all of the other things she wanted to discuss. I don’t know. There was some great writing here but the book doesn’t work.

Mister_G and Alphableat like this.
  12. I can see this, but at the same time I really enjoyed it. It took an awful long time for the characters to come together, and when they did it was, at first, a bit of a letdown. But then there were some great scenes, and ultimately I came away satisfied.

Can’t decide if the Felix/Simon gay-baiting was okay or a little manipulative, and I’m also kind of surprised everyone got a happy ending.

burzacott and Mister_G like this.

13. The gays are writing this year!

constantino, bakerboy92 and Snatched like this.
  14. Okay Rooney stans now let’s get in formation.

I’m currently six chapters into Beautiful World and

(i) she remains a master at expertly capturing the push and pull between two people who are attracted to each other. Those first encounters between Alice and Felix pop and sparkle so much;
    (ii) her knack for drawing richly layered characters in the most sparse and economical way remains unparallelled;
    (iii) the e-mails so far are a lot less pretentious than the reviews made them out to be - although, really, who still writes like this in the age of WhatsApp and Instagram?
    (iv) Eileen is already pulling at my heartstrings;
    (v) I hereby plant the seed of a future adaptation starring Saoirse Ronan as Alice. YOU READ IT HERE FIRST.

burzacott likes this.
  15. I thought Alice and Felix had like, zero chemistry? And the only thing more tedious than the repetitive conversations about their non-relationship were the 187 sex scenes between them. Many nights I dropped the book in frustration when I realised another 3 pages of awkward humping was about to happen.

By getting it wrong, Alice/Felix (and to a lesser degree Eileen/Simon) highlighted how right Rooney had got the central dynamic in Normal People.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    Someboy likes this.
  16. Sorry, I just cannot get behind a book that features main characters called 'Alice' and 'Felix'...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  17. Sam

Sam

I just can’t be arsed with the frustration of another full length novel of characters unable to articulate their feelings. My housemate read it straight away (loving Normal People is basically her whole personality) and loved it, but I just can’t bring myself to pick it up yet.

Andrew likes this.
  18. Finished The Dark Forest (book two in the series that starts with The Three Body Problem) and really enjoyed it. Bizarrely shitty depiction of women aside, it’s sci fi that is an absolute feast for anyone into physics and space. Everything is very, very well thought out and draws on tonnes of actual science. If you’ve ever watched and enjoyed an episode of PBS Space Time, you’ll like it.

Next up… I’m either going to read Bewilderment, or I am half-tempted to go to a book club Meetup about Sarah Moss’ Summerwater.

How come?

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  19. I finished Foundation and Empire yesterday and with the show premiering last week I'm in such a sci-fi mood that I'm looking for anything space in it. The Three-Body Problem has been in my TBR for years, so maybe it's time. The Bookers can wait until November ññ

20. Worth knowing that the first book has lots of physics, computer science, and other interesting stuff, but there’s not tonnes of space. The book starts in the 1960s!

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.