PopJustice Book Club | Page 184 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Noted, it's now on my list (as is the series).

2. Normal People is a great book (but the show is better tbh!) Anyway -

Conversations w/ Friends = Pure Heroine
    Normal People = Melodrama
    BW, WAY = Solar Power

- for any budding Roon-atics. You know what to skip…

burzacott and constantino like this.
  3. I guess I know what my Roon-introduction will be!

[​IMG]

4. …just the middle three chapters of Beautiful World?

Andrew and Beautiful Child 2 like this.
  5. I just finished A Natural by Ross Raisin and wondering if anyone else has read it? I have a question about the plot that I can’t find discussion about online and it’s doing my head in.

Overall I found it a bit hit and miss. I prefer a bit more of a poetic style to this novel’s v natural one, but I did get pulled along for the ride after the first 100 pages.

6. Bewilderment has absolutely pulled me in.

Update: I finished it. Fucking hell.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    constantino, Someboy and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  7. Bitch, that wasn’t even 24h??????

ANYWAY

I just finished the main Foundation trilogy and Asimov is that girl I didn’t know she was! The plot-twists at every turn of the page, I-

[​IMG]

But time to leave the sci-fi aside for a bit (mainly because the TV show is so different I’m in no hurry anymore ññ). Prize reading time!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    jordxn likes this.
  8. I just finished The Island of Missing Trees by Elif Shafak and it's easily my book of the year so far. Closest I've ever come to crying at the end of a novel.

Trinu 3.0 and Dennis like this.
  9. Currently reading The Mermaid by Christina Henry. Instead of a lousy Little Mermaid retelling (there seem to be heaps of books on that subject on this past decade), it is a "what if" if famous nineteenth-century circus/curiosities museum owner P.T. Barnum had caught a real mermaid instead of the mummified-monkey-sewn-to-a-fish-tail thing he actually used to exhibit.

So far I'm halfway through it and I like its slow pace, and that it changes the POV between the 3 main characters (Barnum, his aide, and the mermaid). Also, it has a pretty cool cover art.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  10. That’s Miss Bitch to you.

And yeah, like I said - it really pulled me in! That and the fact I had a train journey on Saturday and didn’t want to take a big bulky hardback with me, so I raced to the finish line. Really, really brilliant book, and actually quite short; low page count and lots of white space.

I’m almost through Piranesi now. I like it but I don’t love it. The mystery of it is intriguing but the way it’s being unveiled is so heavy on exposition. Reminding me a lot of Slade House though, which is a good thing.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  11. [​IMG]

Yeah, it's good but it doesn't hold a candle to Strange & Norrell.

-

NBA finalists for fiction:

Anthony Doerr, Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Lauren Groff, Matrix
    Laird Hunt, Zorrie
    Robert Jones, Jr., The Prophets
    Jason Mott, Hell of a Book

Bewilderment has fallen!

Alphableat likes this.
  12. Finished Tehanu the other week. Slightly disappointing after I loved the first 3 Earthsea books but still an enjoyable read.

Finished The Wall by John Lanchester yesterday. Truth be told I mostly picked it up because it was always in my Recommended For You on Waterstones and it ended up being enjoyable enough if a bit predictable and basic. All the pull quotes comparing it to 1984 and Orwell though… Lanchester does not have the range, not even slightly.

Foundation and Empire was another fantastic read. I really can’t get enough of this series, Asimov is an excellent writer and the stuntery and gaggery in every chapter has me hooked! I’ve started Second Foundation now and unsurprisingly loving that too. The whole world he’s created feels so rich and vast which is quite the achievement given the large gaps in time between the stories contained in the book and the way characters come and go as a result.

13. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

Intimacies should be there, but it’s Miss Groff’s time!

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  14. I absolutely loved the Normal People series so I had to then read the book and weirdly didn't feel like I'd gained that much extra. I feel like it worked better as a series.

I read Beautiful World a few weeks ago and pretty much loved it (minus some of the more self-indulgent email chapters which I glazed over).

Haven't attempted to read Conversations yet. The premise has never really appealed to me but after BW I definitely want to give it a go.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  15. A read for tomorrow:

I think Tehanu was her most... humane story? I was gutted at points.

16. Oh there goes that famed sentient being language again, developing in accordance with its own conscious intent. What's it like.

17. LTG

LTG

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.