PopJustice Book Club | Page 185 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. "Sheep" will not become a part of general usage, not for political reasons but because there would be no way to distinguish between a singular subject ("sheep") & a plural subject ("sheep"). language seeks to communicate w/ clarity, not to obfuscate; that is its purpose.

Someboy and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  2. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

The plural for sheep is “a flock of sheep,” but I agree with the post!

3. LTG

LTG

That’s the collective noun, not the plural. Like with a murder of crows or a parliament of owls, you still use the plural. And the plural of sheep is sheep.

4. [​IMG]

What bothers me the most is that I bought a few of her books just last week and now I don't feel like reading them. Why can't these people share their enlightened "opinions" from the get-go so we can decide if we want anything from/by them? fff

In other news, the Emezi/Adichie brawl is ongoing and Emezi have some words in their stories:

people are calling me bitter, obsessed, jealous for refusing to go silent about adichie + the harm she causes to trans people, and i'm sure there are literary rooms where i will lose opportunities because i'm vocal against her violence, but here's the thing. i care more about trans people than i do about how silence could reward me. so fuck chappelle, fuck adichie, fuck every anti-trans piece of shit platformed by the trash ass world.

Someboy likes this.
  5. Why must respected people do this :(

6. Anyone read One of Us is Lying? I'm tempted. I've just had such bad luck with picking books lately.

7. Aristotle and Dante Dive into the Waters of the World, the sequel to Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe is out today!
    Can't wait to read it.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.

8. The amount of big releases we already have set for next year fff

9. Wait a second is that a reference to a Florence lyric? Because if so, I stan.

10. It is!
    The rights have already been acquired by Amazon for a film.

-

They also have two other books coming out next year...

I feel useless fff

11. I just finished Brandon Taylor's Filthy Animals. Having read Real Life very recently, I was slightly disappointed by how...similar the main story running through Filthy Animals is (i.e. a depressed young academic navigating emotionally abusive relationships with damaged white boys). I came in expecting a collection of short stories, only to discover that this book is basically a beta version of Real Life with some [actually very good] short stories woven in-between.

While I enjoyed the book overall, there are some threads between both of Taylor's books that jarred me when they surfaced this time around. Firstly, why is everyone sweating profusely at all times? Secondly, why does everyone have old people names? Thirdly, how am I supposed to be invested in protagonists who are so gutless and dour throughout the entire book?

Had this book featured less of 'Lionel' and 'Charles' and more of short stories like "What Made Them Made You", "Mass" and "Anne of Cleves", it would have been a triumph.

12. Fat people problems. *sweats*
    Filthy Animals was written before Real Life, so I imagined it would have some similar themes.

Not really a fan of short stories, so who knows when I'll get to it. The Dangers of Smoking in Bed has been waiting for me to get to it since summer ññ

13. I didn't know this! Even still, can we switch it up a bit.

14. I can't wait for the mess this movie is going to be (gotta be gotta be). I hope they make the main character murmur poetry to herself.

15. I started Piranesi and one chapter in it’s already completely gorgeous, gripping and oddly moving. I used to read fantasy a lot as a child but rarely these days - falling into the strange world of this book is really taking me back to my childhood reading. Also don’t drag but I’ve never read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell oops

Real Life is not a good book. It’s pretty bad actually.

16. I'm reading No One Is Talking About This and I'm a bit buffled. There doesn't seem to be a plot and it's more about these random thoughts the author (main character?) has about social media and whatnot. Part II seems to be a bit more focused, but... I don't get Booker shortlist from it.

If you enjoy Piranesi, Strange & Norrell is even more epic in every sense of the word. There are some gut-punching moments in it as well. Truly an experience that only brick-sized books can give you!

Or maybe not, cause I loved Real Life.

[​IMG]

Beautiful Child 2 and Alphableat like this.
  17. I liked Real Life, except for the nothingy ending, which was mirrored in Filthy Animals too. My main issue with both of his books is the melodrama of it all, which makes his protagonists irritating.

The reason why I enjoyed his short stories is that we get to see his writing style with characters who aren't total drips.

Alphableat likes this.
  18. You've never spent a weekend fucking and fighting a fellow researcher while you sweat profusely? Huh.

19. The way the sex scenes in Real Life read like fight scenes was so corny. No one is fucking like that.

ItBeats, Trinu 3.0 and constantino like this.
  20. I enjoyed Real Life for the lab scenes (I found his research kind of interesting) and the dinner party drama. But yeah in retrospect not the greatest literary accomplishment.

constantino and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.