PopJustice Book Club | Page 191 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. I just finished the first part of To Paradise (book 1 of 3) and loved it. Her prose is just gorgeous and so easy to get lost in, I really couldn't put it down. I'm looking forward to seeing how I feel about the other two parts, but I really would have loved to live in this story longer (on my Kobo it's less than 200 pages). There were so many interesting characters and ideas that I feel could have been explored more, but I also understand why it was kept short.

2. Every single sentence of A Little Life hurts me.

[​IMG]

I think it’s the third time I try to read it but I never make it past 400-500 pages.

Lately, Conan and Andrew like this.
  3. Part 1 being a character study that gradually built to an almost unbearably tense climax - the talent. She really knows how to write characters that grip you by the throat.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  4. Well while everyone is reading To Paradise, I finished Sorcerer To The Crown. It took until about half way through for it to really get going but when it did, it was a fun read. Not sure the author really nailed the regency style of writing but it was a surprisingly comic read.

5. I've found it a real struggle too, but I refuse to start another book until I've finished it.

6. The way Yanagihara is already winning 2022!

I still haven’t finished Washington Square, so I’ll avoid the spoilers. But her writing… ugggg the finessery!!!

7. Hanya is staring at me from my bookshelf, but I’ve started Dune instead. It’s great so far.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  8. That ending...

I can tell A Little Life did a number on me because I was expecting David to marry Charles out of respect for his grandfather and then be stuck in a loveless marriage where Charles would beat him up or something (*cries in Jude*).

Her ending the story like that, when we know there's bad stuff coming up thanks to all those foreshadowing sentences sprinkled around... that's cruel! Hoping the three books are somewhat connected and we get some sort of continuation to the story, even if it's just a sentence about how much Edward stole from him ffff

I did gasp when the book ended with the title tho!

VicePresidentJocasta likes this.
  9. I was in Waterstones yesterday and saw A Little Life right next to To Paradise and I literally gasped. The way A Little Life continues to make me feel things all these years later! I'm apprenhensive to start To Paradise - has anyone here read it the whole way through?

Lately likes this.
  10. Just finished Hamnet by Maggie O’Farrell which holds the position of being the only book that’s made me cry (I haven’t read A Little Life dddddd). It’s a really touching book, a beautiful portrayal of family and grief.

I’m now reading The Secret History by Donna Tartt which I’m just devouring. What a brilliant and absorbing book - I’m in that space where I want to know what happens but also don’t want to be done with the book!

11. @dirtypony those two are definitely into my TBR for this year. They've been looking at me from my shelves for years fff

12. Taste! I read Hamnet over Christmas and loved it (Maggie O'Farrell is great anyway).

The Secret History I read when I was 16, another great one. The film version has been "in development" since about the same time - Gwyneth Paltrow, now almost 50, was in talks for the Camilla role at one point!

dirtypony likes this.
  13. When I realized how few pages were left in the first book and David hadn't even left yet, I literally dreaded every page because I had no idea how it was going to end. Somehow it was even more cruel to give us that open ending, knowing that David thought (or at least hoped against all logic) that he was heading "to paradise" but clearly he was being used and had nothing but heartache ahead of him. Leaving us to imagine what would become of him after leaving his family behind for Edward was probably even more painful than what she could have put on paper. When it ended my heart just sank.

Beautiful Child 2 and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  14. I was given Secret History by my uncle back in 2013 dddddd I didn’t realise it had been that long! So glad I finally did get round to it though, almost halfway through now and it’s absolutely brilliant. You really feel like you know the main characters. It’s masterfully written but you don’t feel hit over the head with it either. I had to force myself to stop reading last night, I need to know what happens!!

Alphableat and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  15. O’Farrell is fantastic! I read This is the Place before Hamnet and found the story so engaging! It’s hard to describe what it’s about but I was gripped throughout. I’ll probably read the rest of her stuff now as I loved the first two so much.

I’m only halfway through The Secret History but I could see potential in a film adaption or a well-done mini-series. However, I’m picturing it all so vividly in my mind that I think I’d find any screen adaptation a bit jarring, but that tends to be the case when it comes to books I’ve read and loved.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  16. Re: A Little Life.
    I hate JB so much. I’m halfway through the book and I’m so over his character. “Look at me I’m a rich kid, I never had to work a day in my life! I can do whatever I want so I decided to be an artist blablabla I’m better than anyone else blablabla I do drugs blablabla”. What an idiot.

17. Ahh, The Secret History is so damn good. It made me think that Donna Tartt could write some complete nonsense and I’d still fall in love with it because of the sheer talent.

But then I read The Goldfinch.

codecat, dirtypony, Trinu 3.0 and 2 others like this.
  18. Count me in The Secret History club; the way that book envelops you, and even as things become progressively desperate or grotesque, you still want to live in the world among the liberal arts elite, it’s a great seduction. It’s a book that really understands how wealth works too, the access it provides and the ease at which those who have it wield it.

By the way, Gwyneth should still be in the adaption, and it seems ripe for the HBO miniseries treatment, but now at her age, she should play the professor.

Mike and dirtypony like this.
  19. If you think The Goldfinch sucks, try reading her second novel The Little Friend. It's terrible. I will always, always stan The Secret History however!

20. I think this book caused my biggest reading funk ever. It was literary sitting there by my bed for over a year and I just couldn't muster the energy to pick it up. What a disappointment it was when I did and reached the end. I think it's the main reason I've been putting The Secret History off for so long, but it seems to be gaining some traction in bookstagram these days, so... it's time.

I'm gonna take advantage of Yanagihara splitting her book in "smaller" books to insert other readings in between and avoid getting depressed out of reading.

Going back to Foundation series for a bit of research before they cast me as Anacreonian #345 in S2!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    Andrew likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.