PopJustice Book Club | Page 199 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. LTG

LTG

Apparently she’d already been working on it for about 20 years by the time her last book came out too.

I read Corregidora a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

2. Recently finished Under the Whispering Door, a really beautiful novel by a queer author. Highly recommend it. It isn't my usual 'go to' genre. It's a real heart warming, restore my faith in humanity type book whilst dealing with the tricky themes of death and purpose.

Dennis likes this.
  3. What did everyone think of Janelle Monae's The Memory Librarian? I was quite sad to find that I really couldn't connect with it.

4. Trying to get back into the habit while this year tries to destroy my willpower

Not another doorstopper!

5. Oh god it’s fucking massive.

I just bought Akwaeke Emezi’s new one, because the title is a Florence + the Machine lyric and I couldn’t resist.

6. I've just finished Exit Stage Left: The Curious Afterlife of Pop Stars by Nick Duerden which I really enjoyed. It's a little bit of a sausage fest and there is definitely an emphasis on bands and songwriters (although he does speak to Paul from S Club and Robbie Williams) but I found it fascinating what pop stars go on to do once the fame has gone. Some miss it while others happily hide away but it's clear that some people just have music inside them that they need an outlet for.

Now I'm on to Justin Myers' The Fake-Up. I've loved his other books so I have no doubt that I'll enjoy this one too.

7. I've been meaning to get to that Nick Duerden book for a while, it sounds really interesting. I read Justin's first one The Last Romeo during lockdown and really enjoyed it so need to check out the other two as well.

magictreehouse likes this.
  8. It really is. Sometimes you would like to hear a little more from the really interesting people (he talks to Einar Orr from The Sugacubes but there's not much on him considering he was in the Icelandic government at one point) but he does cover a good variety of people on the whole.

9. Had no idea this was announced, and while I enjoyed Less, I’m not sure I need another.

I’m on the home straight with To Paradise (it’s taken a while because I’m buddy reading with a friend who reads a lot slower, so I’ve been reading books alongside and in between). Book 2 was a total drag, but Book 3 has me totally hooked. It’s made me notice how much Hanya’s style is like Ishiguro’s. Simple but so compelling.

colouroffensive and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  10. I have to admit that I didn't get the big deal about Less.

11. I read Less this year and found it a bit unremarkable. It was sort of amusing but I didn’t feel charmed by Less. One of those books you pick up on a whim at the airport, breeze through while sat at the beach/pool and then slip into the bin after.

12. Interesting. It's the opposite for me ddd. It's one of my favourite books ever- It deeply moved me and resonated. Also, one of the few books I've read twice.
    However, I'm not so sure I need a sequel. His story feels very finished in a satisfying manner.

13. Just popping in to say that 'Sea of Tranquility' is fantastic and for me on par with 'Station Eleven'. I love Emily's writing style and the way she's weaved the last three books together. My only criticism is I wish it was longer.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  14. Aaaah, so glad to read. I plan on reading both Glass Hotel and Sea of Tranquility this summer.

Station Eleven being the first book I read in March 2020... marked me ññ

15. MB

MB

Any recommendations for books - either a gay romance or a thriller of some sort with a gay lead? Need to stock up for a upcoming holiday!

16. For thrillers, I read both Bath Haus and Yes Daddy, and would recommend them both. Neither are any great masterpiece, but if you're looking for something dark, twisty, and propulsive they fit the bill.

MB likes this.
  17. It’s an oldie but I really enjoyed Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (there’s also a follow up which I haven’t got round to yet). YA and a lovely read. Also loved Night Swimmer by Joseph Olshan

Laurence and MB like this.
  18. Someone in this thread posted about I Who Have Never Known Men so I decided to buy it the other day and finished it in about two sittings. THANK YOU TO THAT PERSON! This book was oustanding and one that will stay with me for a long time.

ZombieJam likes this.
  19. Fernanda Melchor.

My God the talent. I can't wait to see her at the Edinburgh Book Festival.

Monkey Meat likes this.
  20. Just finished Heaven by Mieko Kawakami. Absolutely brutal, and maybe one to be wary of if you’ve ever suffered bullying. Great, spare prose though, and I love what she’s done layering on the philosophy. This is a great (if fawning) write-up explaining some of what she’s doing.

I also finished To Paradise. It wasn’t a home run, but it is very good. While I’ve been thinking about the themes that cross the books, it ultimately doesn’t add enough to bring these disparate stories together. She really should have fleshed out Book 1 and released it as a standalone novel, and Book 3 could have been a standalone too. And it all needed a bit more resolution.

bakerboy92 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.