PopJustice Book Club

Mvnl

Staff member
Random question but are those books with a seperate cover where the main book just has no cover art at all a british thing?
I hardly see it in stores here but seen it a lot with imports (Sarah Harding's book.. currently unsure whether to order Reach For The Stars cause it looks like it might be another one of those..)
I assume it's a lot cheaper but.. well that's how it looks too

RUNAWAY

Staff member
he/him
Random question but are those books with a seperate cover where the main book just has no cover art at all a british thing?
I hardly see it in stores here but seen it a lot with imports (Sarah Harding's book.. currently unsure whether to order Reach For The Stars cause it looks like it might be another one of those..)
I assume it's a lot cheaper but.. well that's how it looks too
Are you meaning dust jackets? If so, they're pretty common here in the states. You take them off and then there's just a blank book underneath with the title and author solely on the spine most of the time.

Mvnl

Staff member
Are you meaning dust jackets? If so, they're pretty common here in the states. You take them off and then there's just a blank book underneath with the title and author solely on the spine most of the time.
Yeah I guess those are what I mean. I see books with them quite often but most times the actual cover is properly printed as well.

Yeah I guess those are what I mean. I see books with them quite often but most times the actual cover is properly printed as well.
I feel like it’s just common for hardback books everywhere - I have a few US imports and it’s the same.

Always a treat when there is a design on the hardback itself, but I’d say it’s pretty rare.

Has anyone read The Unconsoled? Trying to decide on my next Ishiguro after The Goldfinch and I'm intrigued by the premise. I read Fever Dream by Samantha Schweblin last year and adored it, seems like a similar concept but I wasn't sure if it would work across a longer body of work.

LTG

he/him
Has anyone read The Unconsoled? Trying to decide on my next Ishiguro after The Goldfinch and I'm intrigued by the premise. I read Fever Dream by Samantha Schweblin last year and adored it, seems like a similar concept but I wasn't sure if it would work across a longer body of work.
I love The Unconsoled but it has a lot of haters too. It’s very disconcerting having the dreamlike feeling throughout the book. I’d maybe read Never Let Me Go and/or one of the first two before.

Occasionally! I'm pretty cynical about them really but they can soothe my heart. Highlights in case you care:

The Power of Now -- at least the first half -- is a wise book. I don't know what I make of Eckhart Tolle exactly but I believe that he's happier than I am, and that leaning into "being" is important.

Drinking: A Love Story is excellent. It's not "strictly" self-help but it.. helped me. I recommend it to everyone regardless of your relationship with alcohol. It's a damn shame the author Caroline Knapp died so young, but she shared a lot of vulnerable wisdom and I'll always be grateful for that.

Oh and Johann Hari's two biggest works, Chasing the Scream (about addiction) and Lost Connections (about depression) are so well written and informative. And even entertaining. Both told from a progressive, humanist lens. Hari has skeletons in his closet but frankly his past professional mistakes make him even more empathetic to me.
The power of now is the only one i am familiar with, and i have considered reading it, i have not come across the others, but if its managed to help you in any shape of form then its all good.

Mvnl

Staff member
Is the Timetraveler's Wife worth reading after already having seen the show? (which I must say was MUCH better than the movie and I hate that it's been cancelled)

I haven’t seen the movie or the tv show so perhaps I’m not the best judge in terms of a comparison - but I LOVED the book and it was one of my favourites for a long time. In most cases I tend to find books better than the adapted movies and tv shows.

Mvnl

Staff member
I haven’t seen the movie or the tv show so perhaps I’m not the best judge in terms of a comparison - but I LOVED the book and it was one of my favourites for a long time. In most cases I tend to find books better than the adapted movies and tv shows.
I remember loving the movie (which, after watching the show felt like watching a recap that rushed through the story at a ridiculous pace) and did love the show (which does end midstory). But I'm a sucker for anything involving time travel.
I guess it boils down mostly to 'how much point is there to reading a story I already know'

I remember loving the movie (which, after watching the show felt like watching a recap that rushed through the story at a ridiculous pace) and did love the show (which does end midstory). But I'm a sucker for anything involving time travel.
I guess it boils down mostly to 'how much point is there to reading a story I already know'
I think if you love time travel then you should definitely read this! It’s well-written and moving and you experience the characters so much more in prose form than what can be conveyed on screen.

he/him
I finished Pure Colour by Shelia Heti yesterday. I really loved it, especially part 2 and part 6, which I really related to my relationship with my Nan and the types of people we are/were and how I felt after she passed last year. The rest of the book didn’t quite live up to those two parts but it is a really interesting exploration of death, grief, spirituality and human psychology.

I'd say try an earlier one first, too. A Pale View of Hills would be an especially nice prelude.

Is the Timetraveler's Wife worth reading after already having seen the show? (which I must say was MUCH better than the movie and I hate that it's been cancelled)
I agree with @dirtypony - it was a favourite book of mine for a long time. It doesn’t seem to have much clout anymore, but I thought it was a very smart, well-written, and emotionally powerful book.

She’s supposed to be writing a sequel called The Other Husband, which somehow already has an amazing score on Goodreads despite (I’m assuming) not even being finished.

400 pages in and I...believe I have reached the point in The Goldfinch where people talk about it dragging. And I get it. But I don't care! I nearly burst into tears at the catharsis of his cross country journey.
It started dragging for me in Las Vegas, and I put it down forever. First time I've ever read a novel that felt like it was written in real time.