PopJustice Book Club

I’ve read the Poppy Wats trilogy by Kuang but not Babel or Yellowface. I’ll add those to my reading list for the summer. At the moment I’m rereading Robin Hobb’s Farseer Trilogy which I remember adoring as a teenager. I’ve read a lot of non-fiction recently which I’ve enjoyed but over time it’s also become a bit draining. I fancied a reread of something to get me back into reading.
I try to switch between fiction and non-fiction. Or read both at the same time. Now reading Circe and SPQR from Mary Beard about the Roman Empire.

Sam

he/they
Finished Yellowface already. Really gripping, although the third act did seem to drag on a bit.

I was waiting for Candice to pop up again so for her to be the “final boss” of sorts was satisfying. I really loved the parallels between the author and June - publishing a wildly successful novel (Babel) and following it up with a novella (this one) - it added some really interesting layers to the premise. I weirdly found myself rooting for June for a lot of it which I feel conflicted about now in hindsight - which I guess is the point - but her rage at being overlooked because she wasn’t “diverse enough” and was “a victim of reverse racism” put a swift end to that.

Happy to be back in my reading era! Gonna start The Bell Jar this evening and then go from there

I finished yesterday The Seven Moons of Maali Almeida on my own after my book club rejected it earlier this year nn and it was a really wonderful read. My first foray into long form second person perspective and I think it worked really effectively with the themes. I also appreciated the queerness of it, the main character was almost ambivalently secure in himself? Definitely glad I picked it back up!

LTG

he/him
I finished yesterday The Seven Moons of Maali Almeida on my own after my book club rejected it earlier this year nn and it was a really wonderful read. My first foray into long form second person perspective and I think it worked really effectively with the themes. I also appreciated the queerness of it, the main character was almost ambivalently secure in himself? Definitely glad I picked it back up!
Glad to hear this. It’s in my pile of books to read.

Enjoying

milk-fed-9781982142506_hr.jpg

After enjoying @New Flame ‘s suggestion of Love in the Big City, I have just started Kim Jiyoung Born, 1982. Having had a keen interest in kpop for the past decade or so, it’s fascinating to take a deeper dive into the Korean psyche (especially for women & queer people, as these two titles explore).

After enjoying @New Flame ‘s suggestion of Love in the Big City, I have just started Kim Jiyoung Born, 1982. Having had a keen interest in kpop for the past decade or so, it’s fascinating to take a deeper dive into the Korean psyche (especially for women & queer people, as these two titles explore).
There’s a few interesting-sounding novels about K-Pop obsession that people have been raving about lately:

Idol Burning, by Rin Usami
Y/N, by Esther Yi

Might be of interest!

There’s a few interesting-sounding novels about K-Pop obsession that people have been raving about lately:

Idol Burning, by Rin Usami
Y/N, by Esther Yi

Might be of interest!
Oh these sound great, thank you. Idol Burning especially it says touches on stan culture. With the bizarre antics at pop concerts recently, the strangeness of extreme fandom has been on my mind.

I think I will also check out Han Kahn’s The Vegetarian as part of my current Korean mood. I read another of the authors titles, The White Book, a year or two ago, which was very poetic and sentimental.

Last edited:
I'm currently reading 'In The Lives of Puppets' by T J Klune. I'm only a few chapters in but I'm already gagged by the beautiful writing and hilarious characters. The sassy medic robot has had me in stitches. Highly recommend!

Last edited:
he/him/basic cishomo
Chelsea Manning's defeated sardonic tone in README.txt as she goes over her guilty verdict is pissing me off. They literally just caged her up in Quantico for nine months because "she's not normal" and she gets no credit for that time against her sentence. I'm so glad she does raves and tried Grimes now. "I should have never joined the Army" yeahhhh.