PopJustice Book Club

I'm reading The Perfect Wife by JP Delaney, and I'm totally hooked. I'm about halfway and it's one of those books that I'm just flying through, it's completely gripping. I hope it sticks the landing. It's like Big Little Lies meets Ex Machina. I hope they make an adaptation of it, the main role would be a nice juicy gig for one of our fave girlies.

Minnie Driver's book of essays "Managing Expectations' is really enjoyable. She writes well, and it's a thoughtful and funny read. I've always had a soft spot for her as an actor - she's seems well aware of her privilege, and the absurdities of life as a 'celebrity'. If it's still on an amazon kindle deal, get it!

I'm currently reading 'In The Lives of Puppets' by T J Klune. I'm only a few chapters in but I'm already gagged by the beautiful writing and hilarious characters. The sassy medic robot has had me in stitches. Highly recommend!
I bought this last week as Forbidden Planet in London had signed copies. He's one of my favourite writers. Very much looking forward to starting it!

I’ve just read Cleopatra & Frankenstein

I actively disliked this book.

An altogether dreadful cast of unlikeable and unsympathetic characters. The plot jumped from one dramatic scene to the next without much to link it together. Bigger issues like suicide, trauma, sexual assault, gender identity felt like buzzy themes checked off a list as opposed to being explored with any depth. We have the ever so sad yet impossibly beautiful and talented young artist, the gay man who takes drugs and goes to orgys, the kindhearted fat chef, the wise older Asian man, the horrible stepmother, the alcoholic alpha male… the sheer volume of cliched, unoriginal characters was borderline nauseating. The saving grace of the book was Eleanor, whose chapters achieved the humor, sensitivity and character development/‘journey’ that I think the novel was aiming for.

I wish I had enjoyed it more. I desperately need a palate cleanser.

An altogether dreadful cast of unlikeable and unsympathetic characters. The plot jumped from one dramatic scene to the next without much to link it together. Bigger issues like suicide, trauma, sexual assault, gender identity felt like buzzy themes checked off a list as opposed to being explored with any depth. We have the ever so sad yet impossibly beautiful and talented young artist, the gay man who takes drugs and goes to orgys, the kindhearted fat chef, the wise older Asian man, the horrible stepmother, the alcoholic alpha male… the sheer volume of cliched, unoriginal characters was borderline nauseating. The saving grace of the book was Eleanor, whose chapters achieved the humor, sensitivity and character development/‘journey’ that I think the novel was aiming for.

Yeah the Eleanor chapters were the only thing that made it worthwhile for me.

If you enjoyed those, I’d really recommend Jenny Offill’s Weather. An absolutely marvellous book.

I’ve dnf’d this 3 separate times. A beautiful cover can only do so much.

I’ve dnf’d this 3 separate times. A beautiful cover can only do so much.
So many instances reading the book I physically groaned with how embarrassing and cliche it all was.

In fact I accidentally dropped it out my bedroom window last week, which I should have taken as an omen.

Oh & while most characters had their stories tied up, the only queer character ending the book as a meth addict and seemingly… beyond help? That was bizarre.

Where to start with Arabic literature (other than Naguib Mahfouz ofc)?
I’ve recently started Shalash the Iraqi, which was sent as I had an eclectic six book subscription with the indie publisher, And Other Stories. I’m afraid I don’t have much of an opinion on it yet as I haven’t got very far in.

My experience with Arabic literature is quite limited. Are titles by Naguib Mahfouz worth checking out?

he/him
I'm reading The Perfect Wife by JP Delaney, and I'm totally hooked. I'm about halfway and it's one of those books that I'm just flying through, it's completely gripping. I hope it sticks the landing. It's like Big Little Lies meets Ex Machina. I hope they make an adaptation of it, the main role would be a nice juicy gig for one of our fave girlies.
I read The Girl Before by the same author this week which was also gripping, but it did fizzle out a bit in the end unfortunately. I looked up the TV adaptation and it stars Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Jess from Neon Jungle as the leads though, slay!

Are titles by Naguib Mahfouz worth checking out?

Absolutely!

He is one of the very best writers of the last century and I firmly believe that everyone should read at least one of his works in their lifetime. A definite must for literature lovers. That being said, although I have yet to explore his bibliography to the extend I eventually intend to, I enjoyed everything I've read so far: Cairo Trilogy (Palace Walk, Palace of Desire, Sugar Street), Arabian Nights and Days, Rhadopis of Nubia (my personal favourite so far!), Children of Gebelawi and Adrift on the Nile. Wholeheartedly recommend!

Also

In the meantime, I did some digging and here are the names of some titans that are, to my understanding, held in high regard in the Arab world – if anyone's interested: Tawfiq al-Hakim, Taha Hussein, Jabra Ibrahim Jabra, Abdul Rahman Munif, Yusuf Idris, Zakaria Tamer, Ibrahim al-Koni, Gamal Al-Ghitani, Alaa Al Aswany, Khalil Gibran.

Currently on a reread of Robin Hobb’s books. I’ve finished the first trilogy, and just started the Liveship Traders one.
It’s been a long time since I’ve read them so I’ve forgotten a lot of details, and find myself devouring them wanting to know what happens (the joys of not having an amazing memory!)
I love her characters, and am looking forward to my summer of reading. 3 books in the series down, 13 to go!

It did not stick the landing :(

Super strong first third, really good middle third, completely rushed and anti-climatic final third.