PopJustice Book Club

he/him/basic cishomo
We just had our little reunion with Freddy in Rome. God, he sucks, Miss Patricia's descriptions of him made me viscerally angry too Tom it's okay!!

Freddaaayy

he/him/basic cishomo
Tom Ripley's talent is stressing me out!!! And I'm disturbed by how similar his mind (and, I suspect, Highsmith's) is to mine, how these little "whims" take flight so easily, and this constant shell game he is constantly sweating over while silently reassuring himself that "it's the risk that makes it fun!" and "everything is fine!".

I just got to the letter to Marge and actually teetered in my car. I cannot with this man and I hope we get a little reprieve from his anxiety-inducing coverup efforts for a chapter or two.

You could get into some more of the Taylor Jenkins Reid Cinematic Universe.

Or some sure fire great reads that I would recommend to most people to keep up some initial reading momentum:

A Gentleman in Moscow, by Amor Towles
Still Life, by Sarah Winman
All the Light We Cannot See, by Anthony Doerr
Normal People, by Sally Rooney
Someone has just bought me A Gentleman in Moscow- it isn’t my usual thing but seeing how much you’ve praised it makes me think I should give it a try.

I was away last week and read Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo (who wrote Shadows & Bone, which I'm not a fan of) - but it was excellent; quite Buffy-esque in its setup, but without super powers.

I'm about halfway through Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow, which is fine, but I'm yet to see what the fuss is about.

he/him/basic cishomo
The Talented Mr. Ripley is impeccable. That's one I'll treasure forever. Fuck that was so fun! And the version on Audible was just delicious, I think as a package it's the best work I've consumed there. When the music started to kick in in those final moments in Crete when he realizes that
he won
... rapturous. I think Ms. Highsmith and I are going to have a beautiful relationship. Thank you @Beautiful Child 2 !!! Beacon of taste!

And that's how you narrate a damn book, laminating my Kevin Kenerly stan card while I'm at it.

he/him/basic cishomo
I finally watched the film, four years after reading the book, after all the Ripley chat here.

Omg what an adaptation. Jude Law gorgeous as Dickie. Matt putting his whole Damonussy into the role. Chef’s kiss.
My mom said it was "SO good" too, I'm perched!! I'm gonna wait a while, give the book some time to breathe, but it's on my winter watchlist.

I'm gonna start Bret's Less Than Zero tomorrow, methinks. Maybe hop back and forth between Bret and Patricia for a while!

he/him/basic cishomo
I don't know if this is a new thing or if I'm just out of the loop but Spotify has quite a few audiobooks you can listen to for free if you're a premium member, including A Little Life and Yellowface which I recently bought at full price (bit annoying).
No kidding! That's pretty damn cool. Thanks for the heads up!

I don't know if this is a new thing or if I'm just out of the loop but Spotify has quite a few audiobooks you can listen to for free if you're a premium member, including A Little Life and Yellowface which I recently bought at full price (bit annoying).
Wow this is amazing - thanks for the heads up. D

Finished the Neapolitan quartet by Elena Ferrante and just wow. I had read My brilliant friend earlier this year - liked it but didn’t feel motivated enough to continue with the rest of the quartet. Picked up book 2 last week and I was entranced. Never read anything quite like it and really didn’t want it to end. I’m undecided whether to pick up more of Ferrante’s works (recommendations?) or just take a breather with something else.

she/her
Finished the Neapolitan quartet by Elena Ferrante and just wow. I had read My brilliant friend earlier this year - liked it but didn’t feel motivated enough to continue with the rest of the quartet. Picked up book 2 last week and I was entranced. Never read anything quite like it and really didn’t want it to end. I’m undecided whether to pick up more of Ferrante’s works (recommendations?) or just take a breather with something else.
ADORED the first two but felt the third and fourth, particularly the fourth, dragged a bit. Still love it as a series though. The TV adaptation is also very well done.

I had read My brilliant friend earlier this year - liked it but didn’t feel motivated enough to continue with the rest of the quartet.
This is actually reassuring to know. I read the first one and thought it was nice enough, but couldn’t really tell why everyone had been raving about it.

he/him
I am jumping on the Fourth Wing bandwagon. Let’s see how nuts that 4.65 on Goodreads really is

giphy.gif

Making progress through The Long Call and enjoying it thus far. I will say though that Ann Cleeves does tend to spend a bit too long describing the scenery. I’ve never read her books before so don’t know if this is a common thing.

Also got notified that my personalised copy of Richard Armitage’s novel is on its way. Cannot wait.