PopJustice Book Club

he/him
Long form negative review videos of Fourth Wing are my new comfort watch since finishing the book. It is every bit the cringy romance (with some admittedly cool dragon action) you expect it to be. The world in it is completely unhinged and there’s supposed to be five books… good luck with that!

I read The Lighthouse Witches by CJ Cooke last week. Some beautiful writing and atmosphere building, and the mystery in it was intriguing, but sadly not really resolved in a satisfying way. I have The Ghost Woods and her new book A Haunting in the Arctic waiting on my shelf as well so hoping they are better!

Now I’m just finishing All Hallows by Christopher Golden which I randomly picked up to read for Halloween. It’s decent, although jumping back and forth between about thirteen different character perspectives when the story takes place over a single night… lord.

91WcOGsiu2L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Saw an ad for this pop up on my socials and I thought it was called Twink Ind. but it’s actually Twin Kind. Still might buy it.

he/him
A bit conflicted about My Brilliant Friend – I understand why it was so raved about, but at the same time I feel a bit weird and somehow guilty that it didn't stick with me in that way, even though I loved the writing, the characters and how the ending felt like a very dry slap in the face. I feel like I didn't love it like I should have!

I then remember coming here to see people's thoughts to discover @Trinu 3.0 hated it.
Truly one of the worst books I've read in years. Ugg!

I've left aside "serious fiction" for now and bathing in the grandiloquence of the space opera that is The Sun Eater series. I am hooked. It has all the ingredients to become massive once it reaches mainstream readers, and things are looking promising for it as I've seen more and more reviews of the first book on BookTube these days. Can't wait for the eventual HBO/Apple adaptation!

I do miss trying to read the Booker shortlist, but maybe next year.

A bit conflicted about My Brilliant Friend – I understand why it was so raved about, but at the same time I feel a bit weird and somehow guilty that it didn't stick with me in that way, even though I loved the writing, the characters and how the ending felt like a very dry slap in the face. I feel like I didn't love it like I should have!
I read this over the summer and it’s beautifully written but I found it quite boring.

he/him/basic cishomo
I finally finished The Shards and I’m gagged at
that ending? What are the theories?
I absolutely think Bret did the thing in the house with Susers and Robert Mallory, the hand squeezing part made me YELP with joy and terror. I knew something was going to go very south as soon as he chopped the lock off the door. Bret Easton Ellis's narration of that part in the audiobook was hilarious because he was recounting it as if it were totally normal behavior.

But as far as what happened to Matt, King of "did you like it in your anus? EAT!", I don't know. Maybe that's just what happened in SoCal in the early 80s, I wasn't there.

I don't think I'll find another book like it. I was enthralled and still think about the Buckley universe from time to time.

I absolutely think Bret did the thing in the house with Susers and Robert Mallory, the hand squeezing part made me YELP with joy and terror. I knew something was going to go very south as soon as he chopped the lock off the door. Bret Easton Ellis's narration of that part in the audiobook was hilarious because he was recounting it as if it were totally normal behavior.

But as far as what happened to Matt, King of "did you like it in your anus? EAT!", I don't know. Maybe that's just what happened in SoCal in the early 80s, I wasn't there.

I don't think I'll find another book like it. I was enthralled and still think about the Buckley universe from time to time.

Ok my take is that
Brett did it to Susan and Thom and maybe Terry?! (Or else Robert). However, I do think “The Trawler” did exist. Was it Robert? I don’t think so.

Such a great book and I’m perched for the show. I assume it will be years away because of the strike?

he/him/basic cishomo
Ok my take is that
Brett did it to Susan and Thom and maybe Terry?! (Or else Robert). However, I do think “The Trawler” did exist. Was it Robert? I don’t think so.

Such a great book and I’m perched for the show. I assume it will be years away because of the strike?
I'm sure. It is one book that I think could be done very well in film, for sure, especially as a huge part of the book revolves around movies. Extra points for releasing it in 80s quality!!

Also! I think I can't recall exactly: but I think the story he tells Robert's lil aunt whose vaguely frenzied-yet-chill demeanor made her the most relatable character in the book to me, about Robert and "the timeline" -- I swear it didn't actually add up.

And he's very clear actually in the excellent intro that Robert isn't directly related to the deaths, but he's got a lateral connection to him in his own narrative. In a sense it sounds like him admitting something, looking back.

There's also the fact that two prospective victims got a certain number poster. I think it was 5? Matt got it and Bret's equestrian girlfriend whose name escapes me got it. I tend to think Matt was the genuine recipient and maybe Bret snapped around then. Ryan Taylor was adamant that Matt alluded to him, Bret, being responsible for the weird shit happening pre-his death. I get the impression there's a key narrative turning point that happened there that Bret trimmed from his narrative.

I also find myself thinking about the tangible participant concept now, mess. Though I always thought it was funny that, practically speaking, him in "tangible participant" mode was still messy Bret.

It's been 3 months since I finished it, and I'm sure some things got fuzzy, but I think the Trawler was a cult person. Or hell, maybe it was Bret's girlfriend's dad. He sure seemed weirdly repressed about his dick loving, what with him being frustratingly vague about the entire lead-up to the sex in the bungalow moment and hiding behind his assistant.

Robert's psychosis never seemed violent, you know? It was always more self-destructive.

Just finished Brandon Taylor's The Late Americans. Onto Bryan Washington's Family Meal which starts with a quote from Utada Hikaru's Bad Mode so I'm certain to love this!