PopJustice Book Club

Frantic annual rush to read novellas and poetry collections to meet my reading challenge goal

ezgif-4-62a315ac1b.gif

I’m at 27 books so far this year but really December was lacking a lot except rushing through Woman In Me. A lot were quite short though.

Still gotta update GoodReads to see the pages were but I’ll do so coming days.

I read 81 books this year. Of which 5 were graphic novels, 8 were non-fiction, 4 were short story collections, and the overwhelming remainder were novels.

My most read authors of the year:

Ursula K Le Guin (6)
Kōbō Abe (5)
Chester Himes (3)
Kathryn Scanlan (3)
Yasunari Kawabata (3)
Patricia Highsmith (3)

And my favourite reads of the year (new-to-me and just new generally):

Tales of Earthsea (the entire series)
The Shards - Bret Easton Ellis
The Big Clock - Kenneth Fearing
Kick the Latch - Kathryn Scanlan
The Flint Anchor - Sylvia Townsend Warner
Close to the Knives - David Wojnarowicz
Black Wings Has My Angel - Elliot Chase
In a Lonely Place - Dorothy B. Hughes
The Woman in the Dunes - Kōbō Abe
Good Behaviour - Molly Keane

Waterstones failing to deliver their half price hardback sale this year… Christmas is ruined.

(There are some decent titles in their sale, but nothing from my wishlist.)

Halfway through Charlotte Vassell's The Other Half, which is pretty much Murder on Made in Chelsea. It's, at points, beautifully written, but damn does she repeat phrases ad nauseum. The term 'Grand pooh-bahh' has appeared about a dozen times.

Just finished Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie (a gift from a 'friend' who forgot how much I hate long books)

oprah-winfrey-stunt.gif

Thrilled to announce that it was, in fact, far longer than it had any right being. Book 2 was great, at least.

I’ve finished the first book of the year (having scraped 35 last year by the skin of my teeth!) - Tender is the Night by F Scott Fitzgerald. He writes so beautifully, in my mind he’s practically unparalleled, but I never really like his characters and the plot is a bit meh. It’s hard to feel sorry for a bunch of wealthy elites, but I read his stuff for the beauty, not for the story or people in it.
Moving on to Virginia Woolf next as I’ve not read any of her stuff. To the Lighthouse, has anybody read it?
I also got the first in Steven Erikson’s super long Malayan series ‘Gardens of the Moon’ - it’s intimidating as it’s not only dense but apparently very complicated. I want to read it as it was a gift but I’m worried I’ll get bogged down with it.

Moving on to Virginia Woolf next as I’ve not read any of her stuff. To the Lighthouse, has anybody read it?
To the Lighthouse was my first Virginia Woolf and I honestly did not get it at the time. More recently I read Mrs Dalloway and The Years and deeply loved both (the former especially) so I aim to get back round to Lighthouse now that I *get* her.

To the Lighthouse was my first Virginia Woolf and I honestly did not get it at the time. More recently I read Mrs Dalloway and The Years and deeply loved both (the former especially) so I aim to get back round to Lighthouse now that I *get* her.

My boyfriend just finished it and really struggled - so he wants me to read it so we can discuss it. Her sentences are very long and punctuated but so far I’m enjoying it. Do you have any tips for getting more out of her style?

I have major trauma over Mrs Dalloway. It was the first book we were assigned to read on my English degree 27,000 years ago and almost everyone struggled with the lack of chapters.

Wow, I had no idea that was being adapted, but rake in that coin Ishiguro!

Honestly a pretty timely movie, though, given how much AI has advanced just in the short time since Klara and the Sun came out.