PopJustice Book Club

Yeah I want to read more this year too, last year I didn’t even manage a book per month. The only time I’ve achieved that in recent years was during the pandemic.

If anyone has any good tips on how to get through lots of books and how to prioritise reading I’d love to hear them, I get so distracted by my phone, streaming shows etc.
Short books. Pick up some novellas or anything under 150 pages. If your aim is to read more, you’ll naturally get through more if they’re shorter and you’re more likely to finish if you don’t have to commit to a fat ass, 500 page tome. Short story collections are pretty good for this too - if you find yourself easily distracted, you can dip in and out easily.

Expected to hate Emma Cline’s The Guest but I kind of loved it? Just having a kiki around the Hamptons scamming your way into people’s pools. Camp and fun with an undertone of sadness.

I’m currently reading Susan Cooper’s The Dark is Rising series and finding it quite the mixed bag. She writes about this kind of Arthurian high fantasy so beautifully but the more human side of the story is really…not good. They’re kids books so a level of simplicity is acceptable, but I think even if I read these books as a 10 year old I would find some of the characterisation and relationship dynamics really flat and unconvincing. The 4th book in the series (The Grey King) balances everything really well however, and is both emotionally affecting and a richly drawn fantasy. Anyone else familiar with this series?

Also reading Home by Toni Morrison, which is as rich and moving as her best stuff but also surprisingly spare and straightforward, and Regarding the Pain of Others by Susan Sontag.

I fully burned myself out last year by committing to several book clubs while also juggling my own TBR. Having multiple unfinished reads ended up being so damn daunting I just decided to reset at the top of the year.

Starting this year off with daddy Ishiguro even if it's the polarizing Klara & the Sun. Curious if I'll continue to be a contrarian with this one nn.

I fully burned myself out last year by committing to several book clubs while also juggling my own TBR. Having multiple unfinished reads ended up being so damn daunting I just decided to reset at the top of the year.

Starting this year off with daddy Ishiguro even if it's the polarizing Klara & the Sun. Curious if I'll continue to be a contrarian with this one nn.

It's so funny sometimes how book clubs work - I joined my friend's book club a couple of months ago and it's reignited my passion for reading in a huge way. We did Tom Lake and Yellowface and both really captured my interest, despite being a bit more ~basic.

I'm reading more than I have in maybe over a decade (daily), the issue now is I find reading the book club books such a chore because I have my own lists I want to get through and I keep marking books as Want To Read on Goodreads ddd

I'm in a book club at work at we meet every six weeks. I feel like this gives everyone enough time to read the book and, in my case, read plenty of other books in between. I get a lot out of it actually, especially reading books I wouldn't usually. The hit rate is pleasantly high as well. I recommended Yellowface and we had a great discussion about it.

Book clubs are definitely a balancing act though.

I've accidentally committed myself to reading A Little Life...

giphy.gif

I’m reading The Doloriad and I really don’t know what to make of it. Just… completely fucked up. Can’t tell if I’m hate reading or not.