PopJustice Book Club

I’m only really familiar with Andrey Kurkov. His title Death and the Penguin is an enjoyable dark comedy novel. I’ll keep on an eye on the buzz and try to pick one on the list to buy at some point.

Same, I finished it last night. I enjoyed the rest of the book and felt like a good job was done of building tension. I had this impending sense of doom and then it ended and I was like…..?
Yes!! The ending didn’t quite land for me, I think I know what the author was going for but with so many high stakes throughout the book I kinda wanted a bigger pay off.

I kinda think it would be even better if she’d died after falling from the Exorcist steps and then the former editorial assistant became this massive literary darling off the back of it, like the cycle repeating itself in a way

Yes!! The ending didn’t quite land for me, I think I know what the author was going for but with so many high stakes throughout the book I kinda wanted a bigger pay off.

I kinda think it would be even better if she’d died after falling from the Exorcist steps and then the former editorial assistant became this massive literary darling off the back of it, like the cycle repeating itself in a way
Yes I agree!

it definitely seemed to be ramping up to a big climax but it’s like she chickened out at the very end. I guess she didn’t want something to be that dramatic but more like ‘people get cancelled and exposed and then have to move on with their lives’ but then show me more of that, or don’t have June getting more and more paranoid over the cyber-stalking.

Yes I agree!

it definitely seemed to be ramping up to a big climax but it’s like she chickened out at the very end. I guess she didn’t want something to be that dramatic but more like ‘people get cancelled and exposed and then have to move on with their lives’ but then show me more of that, or don’t have June getting more and more paranoid over the cyber-stalking.
yeah I thinks she spent a bit too much time focused on her paranoia, like we get that and it was woven throughout the book anyway. The more interesting thing would be how she would come back from being cancelled but just when she was veering into that direction, it ends!

Everyone I know has found the ending the weakest part but this ending would have been brilliant!

Oh wow, Prophet Song by Paul Lynch really got under my skin. I kept waiting for Eillish to flee whilst, at the same time, acknowleding that I would probably just stay put as well. “They can’t do this to us, this is a Western country, we have rights, the international community will intervene” - that whole logic, I get it, even though it is obviously very naive and our rights are hanging on by a thread on the best of days.

Anyway, very powerful stuff.

(I don’t know if she could do a strong Irish accent, but I want Claire Foy to star in the adaptation, thank you very much.)

Oh wow, Prophet Song by Paul Lynch really got under my skin. I kept waiting for Eillish to flee whilst, at the same time, acknowleding that I would probably just stay put as well. “They can’t do this to us, this is a Western country, we have rights, the international community will intervene” - that whole logic, I get it, even though it is obviously very naive and our rights are hanging on by a thread on the best of days.

Anyway, very powerful stuff.

(I don’t know if she could do a strong Irish accent, but I want Claire Foy to star in the adaptation, thank you very much.)
Let me add this to my list. D

I found Prophet Song such a revelation. So engrossing & propulsive…total cliche but I couldn’t put it down. Even more sinister that what occurred doesn’t seem unlikely or out of this world. It also made my heart weep for the individuals living through violence/surveillance, such as those in Palestine currently.

I primarily read ebooks because it’s just so much easier having access to a digital library and picking up a single tablet rather than lugging around a bunch of books. I do most of my reading while I’m on the elliptical at the gym (it helps pass the time rather than watching whatever they stick on the televisions) so it’s easier to perch a flat object on the resting tray rather than using a bungee cord to keep the book open and flat… don’t even get me started on turning a page with that method!

Anyway, I noticed that I was starting to suffer from eye strain or exhaustion from reading on my iPad so I invested in a kindle paperwhite and the difference is astonishing. It’s so much more pleasant and easy on the eyes! The size of the kindle is taking some getting used to in terms of flipping pages more quickly as the screen size is like half the size or more from my iPad… but it’s also easier to hold in one hand and not feel muscle strain that way too.

I primarily read ebooks because it’s just so much easier having access to a digital library and picking up a single tablet rather than lugging around a bunch of books. I do most of my reading while I’m on the elliptical at the gym (it helps pass the time rather than watching whatever they stick on the televisions) so it’s easier to perch a flat object on the resting tray rather than using a bungee cord to keep the book open and flat… don’t even get me started on turning a page with that method!

Anyway, I noticed that I was starting to suffer from eye strain or exhaustion from reading on my iPad so I invested in a kindle paperwhite and the difference is astonishing. It’s so much more pleasant and easy on the eyes! The size of the kindle is taking some getting used to in terms of flipping pages more quickly as the screen size is like half the size or more from my iPad… but it’s also easier to hold in one hand and not feel muscle strain that way too.
I use my iPad Mini, which is great for other things too. You can use (reduce) white point to get an even darker screen, great at night.

Can you share how to do that?
In iOS: In Settings, there is White Point which you can enable/disable (easy is to search for it). Same for color filters - to enable a gray phone instead of the colors.

I made a shortcut, which I've shared to my home screen so I can tap it to run.
This is the shortcut: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/8f139a462577462f87c5269cab7da98f

What it does:
Turn on/off white point.
Turn on/off color filters
Turn on/off dark mode - you can manage this from settings or control center
Turn on/off battery saving mode - same as above.

Clicking this makes all the settings turn on, or if they are on - they turn off. Try playing with it.
You can make an automation to run this shortcut when bed time focus turns on, or say at 22:00.

he/him/basic cishomo
I've been on my history podcast carrot for a few months now and think I'm ready to do a book again after this episode about the transition from stays to corsets. Yas regency era.

My good pal has finished narrating his second work which I guess is a complete shambolic mess so I reckon that'll be what I start with. Need to catch up on this here thread for further inspiration. I still need to do the third Mr. Ripley book. Glamorama is staring at me too when I open my Audible but between the depravity of Less Than Zero and the immense annoyance at everyone who isn't Mary in The Rules of Attraction, I'm not sure I'm up to BEE in this moment in my life.

Reactions: Sam