PopJustice Book Club | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. I've read all of them... a million times each. And! Startled By His Furry Shorts is due to arrive tomorow! I'm far too exited.

I would love to see a movie that brough "nuddy pants" "nunga nungas" "trouser snake adendums" and "fisticuffs at dawn" into the vernacular! And don't forget "nippy noodles" and "roasty toasty" ha!

Beware! Have you read the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time... it's brilliant but not too stressful concentration-wise. And Harry Potters of course, and Lemony Snickets Series of Unfortunate Events.

2. Yes, I've read Curious Incident... and Harry Potter and the first Lemony Snicket book but I wasn't too sure if I liked it but sometimes I don't get things the first time so I'll try the second one again.

3. I read the Devil Wears Prada ages ago and really liked it. It's fun and probably ticks off your quota for number 2 aswell.

4. It's half price in Waterstones' so I'll go buy it tomorrow or Saturday but I'm scared because I'll probably start reading it straight away.

5. I'm reading Bill Bryson 'Made in America'.
    It's fast turning into my favourite book by him. Rather than being 'funny', like most of his travel books that I usually prefer, it's packed full of genuinely fascinating facts about the history of the American language and the country's popular culture.
    A great read.

6. Scott

Scott Guest

I suppose it depends on what you want from a book. Information? Although it is guaranteed that you learn a lot from any book you read, be it at infant level right through to Grammar books.

I recommend "Sophie's World" by Jostein Gaarder; It fuses the antics of a maturing girl in a Dutch speaking country, can't think of the one she lives in off the top of my head, with the history of philosophy. Some may think that it's a bore, and quite a contradiction, but it works well as the relationship between the young girl, Sophie, and the ageing philosopher develops through the book. The Philosophy 'lessons' even come in digestable postcards within the novel that can be easily understood at any age. You learn a vast amount and gain the basics of philosophy. It also demands you to ask questions otherwise not thought up.

Also, quite topically with all the reviews and theatrical performances of it, "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire has an original storyline along the lines of Narnia, Lord of the Rings and any other mythical tale set in a Land that could be easily placed in the medieval lands of our pasts, albeit full of monsters and green witches. It is fantastically written and is a true page turner. Plus, the cover artwork isn't too bad either! And there is even a map, a la the Lord of the Rings, on the inside cover.

Oh and I must say that "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" by Lynne Truss is very witty and humourous from the writer's perspective on badly punctuated English in her everyday life and the almost OCD like state she gets in when trying to correct or point out the mistakes she encounters. You find yourself agreeing with her on nearly every point she makes.

Has anyone else read any of these titles?

7. So did anyone read Bette & Joan: The Divine Feud yet? Shame on you for not getting it and treating it like The Bible!

8. Dutch-speaking? Josteein Gaarder is (I think) Norwegian. I always assumed the story took place in Norway. The first three quarters of the book are quite good. But, as it's almost always the case, the writer was unable to come up with an ending that wouldn't be a total letdown. Still, it's worth reading, if only for the crash course in philiosophy.

9. I got it! I am thoroughly enjoying it. Nothing like a good old fashioned bitch fight. Only about half way through at the moment, sadly I am spending far too much time in front of a computer to give it the love and attention it deserves.

10. Scott

Scott Guest

It's been a while since I read it; I suspected it was somewhere where they spoke Dutch from his name, but Norwegian seems the place.

It is good though, sometimes hard to follow, but others quite readable.

11. Egg

Egg

Have just read this thread from start to finish, and there were so many things I wanted to say, I just felt compelled to register to have my say (not that I'm new to popjustice, I just never have anything to say really, so I am always a floating guest.)

Anywho.

A Long Way Down - Nick Hornby. Read this when I went to Spain at Easter. And because I was away, by the time I realised how pain-stakingly tedious this book is, I was stuck with it for the rest of the week. There does not seem to be a plot. It just rambles - he lets the characters direct his pen, and they don't seem to have any idea what direction to follow. The premise is so good, but the execution is very poor. Which is a shame because a)I do like Nick Hornby and I hope this is just a blip and not the beginning of more aimless tripe, and b) it's going to be made into a film produced by Johnny Depp (who will obviously also play JJ) - and it'll probably be terrible.

In Cold Blood - Truman Capote. I read this over the summer (I have an unhealthy interest in killers), and yes, I agree it's definitely very slow at the beginning - even the murder is quite routine. But as it starts following the two murderers and the police get ever closer to catching them it really comes alive – I especially enjoyed the very end when they are on death row – so compelling. I’ve just seen the film of Capote as well, and that is excellent. Shall be interested to see what Infamous is going to be like.

The Georgia Nicolson books are fabbo. Haven't read the latest one because I have something against hardbacks and refuse to buy them, so I'll have to wait until February or something to read it. They've waned in the last couple of books, the best ones clearly being the first 4. I wonder how much longer she can keep Georgia in "innocence"? Or will she stop short as to not corrupt the mind of the tweenagers (even though they're corrupted already - especially if Melvin Burgess has anything to do with it.) Louise Rennison is ace, though. I recommend going to see her at any literary festivals she does - she's very funny in person, very much like Georgia, and more importantly, she liked my hat.

As for books I'm currently reading at the moment - have just finished We Need To Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver, because I love my killers, obviously. (If anyone could recommend me any books about good killers that would be grand) It's very good, although ala In Cold Blood, takes a while to get going. I also disliked the language used in it - who actually talks/writes like that in real life? And also the twist was pretty obvious from about p100, although the description of it when it does come is pretty gruelling. It reminded me a lot of And I Don't Want To Live This Life - which is by Deborah Spungen, the mother of Nancy Spungen who was killed by boyfriend Sid Vicious, and is also my favourite book of all time. It's written fluidly (if a bit amateurish) and the story is completely engaging and you cannot put it down. Because it's based on real events as well, it makes it even more horrific. It's the only book to have ever made me cry too, which is quite a feat.

I'm about to start reading The Pact - by Jodi Piccoult, so I was very interested to hear people's comments on it. Looks good! But before that I have to get through some Greek Tragedy first, and 1984 (again) - for my degree.

12. I'm reading Invisible Monsters again. My god, it's bloody brilliant. Brandy Alexander rocks my socks.

13. I am the anti-Gordon Ramsay.

and it's a deal./

14. Jen

Jen

My favourite topic ever! Ok so.
    In August/September, I took up Richard and Judy's advice and read:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Both of which started off well but were very dissapointing in the end- the former because the killer is so obvious it smacks you in the face, and because although it has a very interesting premise, it never really seems to follow through and feels rather half baked. The latter because the excuses they made for the infidelity that we were supposed to buy were pitiful and because the lead female got very irritating by the end of it. The little girl was written beautifully though.

After those two dissapointments I went with:
    [​IMG]
    Which was my second Jodi Picoult after "Vanishing Acts" which although I loved, "Perfect Match" just sneaked ahead for me- I absolutely adored it and was completely absorbed in the characters lives and the story. After finishing it, I wanted to buy everything she's ever written.

Then it was:

[​IMG]
    Which I bought for £1 in a closing down sale at my local book shop. I really really liked this- it was an interesting, seemingly trashy set up yet it actually ended up being a lot about family and where you come from. Jackson writes really well for a debut, there were many laugh out loud moments, yet she balanced it well with the more emotive touches.

I have just finished: [​IMG]
    I literally couldn't put it down, and "binge read" in huge segments. It's probably my least favourite of her books though, although I still really loved it. I felt a bit like Emily's family was slightly underdeveloped in some ways and I was utterly frustrated at her suicide and her reasons for doing so, although that's more of a compliment to Picoult then a critiscm- she creates such real, flawed human beings for characters that you get completely under their skin.

Next on my list is:
    [​IMG]
    Just to feed my addiction.
    I also have these waiting in the wings:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The former of which was another £1 sale bargain and something I couldn't resist due to it's trashy goth seeming content and gorgeous cover art. The latter was a brilliant find in my tiny bookshop in my village- with the best book shop title ever "The Novel Hovel"- as it's a first edition and a subject that interests me greatly.

And yes Kirkland, this:
    [​IMG]
    has gone on my amazon list.

15. From memory - some of the best books of last couple of years I have read are...

Life of Pi (this one you have to have read - amazing!) - Yann Matrel
    The curious dog incident - Mark Haddon
    Underneath the skin (or something along those lines by Nicci French - not the French everyone loves on here though)
    A Gathering Light - Jennifer Donnelly

16. Jodi Picoult books are fab ... I've read My Sister's Keeper, Plain Truth and The Pact and am about to start on Vanishing Acts. I love the unexpected twists at the end. Even though you know there is going to be one you never can predict what it might be.

One of my favourite books of the last two years has got to be The Time Traveller's wife. It is amazing - if you've not read it you should!

I recently re-read Memoirs of a Geisha (have not yet seen the film although I would like to). It is still a brilliant book.

I also listen to Richard and Judy's advice on their book club (as you may tell from some of the other titles) and read The Island which is the tale of life on a leper colony. Very moving stuff.

17. at the mo im reading vic reeves auto-biography really loving that its all his childhood and not all about after he became famous
    really get to see into his sureal mind i highly recomend

and just started reading rupert everetts red carpets and other banana skins - up to a bit where hes just into his twenties and ive already been introduced to many many wierd and wonderful people can't wait to see what else he has instore.

going slightly off topic did anyone watch Reader I Married Him on bbc over the past few weeks about the romantic novel, heros and herroines
    fab show and fully backed up my beliefs that mr rochester is the greatest romantic hero of them all .

18. Life Of Pi was class. Seems like years since it was released, his other novel, Self was also quality, if a little depressing.

Just read Mark Haddon's new book and that was almost as good as as The Curious Incident. Main character is 57 years old instead of a 10 years old, so a bit different. Made me stay up late reading for the first time in ages.

19. I'm really into my thrillers and am currently motoring through Cross by James Patterson. His books are so easy to read and with really short chapters are so unputdownable.

If you've seen Along Came a Spider or Kiss The Girls then you'll already know Det Alex Cross (played by Morgan Freeman) this I think is the last book in the series and it's all getting pretty hairy in there.

Would really recommend giving James Patterson a go if you like detective thriller type books.

G4zzaman

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.