PopJustice Book Club | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. I keep meanig to read ''Atonement''. I should now, especially with the film and all. ''The Accidental'' is also very good. I''m currently reading Donna Tartt''s ''The Little Friend''. It''s good so far and makes me remember why I loved ''The Secret History'' so much.

2. A fantastic book, it takes a while to get going so stick with it, but boy when its gets going its mental!

Taking of mental I''ve just finished ''The Dirt'' by Motley Cure. I can''t quite look at my trusted desk phone in the same light!

3. i need some books to take on holiday, nothing heavy or emotional but not to chick lit..suggestions?

4. I quite like Kate Atkinson at the moment. Try ''Case Histories''. It''s quite easy to read but I really like its sense of humour and story :D

5. As much as I think this book is amazing, being told to look out for a twist is one of my biggest pet hates. If you''re expecting a twist, it''s far more likely that you''ll deduce what the twist is before it arrives, thus ruining the effect.

Agree on Case Histories as well. At the moment I''m reading A Spot Of Bother by Mark Haddon, the author of The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time, and it''s shaping up to be just as good.

6. I was wondering whether to get this. I liked ''The Curious Incident'' but couldn''t decide what a follow up would be like.

7. I am currently reading Julian Barnes''s Arthur and George, and it''s pretty good so far.

8. Thanks for all the sugestions

The Third Policeman - Flann O''Brien

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World- Jack Weatherford

America: A Citizen''s Guide To Democracy Inaction - Daily Show Writers

9. My sister just threw me "The Looking Glass Wars" by Frank Beddor. I''m an Alice In Wonderland obsessive and this is a really good take on the world. It''s a little obviously written (sometimes it reads more like a story treatment for a movie than a novel) but it''s got a huge amount of ideas and character in it. Worth a look and a quick read too.

My only regret is they''ll make the film before I''m even in the running to direct it.

10. mattsy666

mattsy666 Guest

stella duffy (singling out the couples)

nicholson baker (fermata)

tibor fischer (collector, collector)

pg wodehouse (take your pick but avoid the jeeves & wooster stuff .. strangely the least satisfying of the bunch)

maryjanice davidson (undead series)

11. Just reading this now - fantastic! I had no idea Joan Crawford was so crazy.

12. Shall we reopen the book club?

I've almost finished The Accidental Woman by Jonathan Coe, it's quite an odd book, I'll write about it once I'm done (and if anyone is interested in keeping this thread going).

13. Books! I do love a good book, especially got into reading fictional stories (recomendations and stuff).

I recently finished reading The Cement Garden (which i've nattered on about before on PJ) and liked it, though it's a bit sad and very disturbing.I've started watching the film version on YouTube and it's not as good as the book, bluntly.

Am currently re-reading 'The Curious Incident Of the Dog in the Night-time', which i talked about the other day.It's rather good.

Another book you would've heard me rave about in the first three months of this year (if i was here) would've been 'The Virgin Suicides'.Loved the book, the film and the soundtrack.In fact, i want to draw the cover of the soundtrack.

14. I just finished reading Watermelon by Marian Keyes. Its very good if you're not looking for anything too serious and like chick-lit.
    I remember watching the TV adaptation a few years back and from memory it seems completely different from the book.

I want to re-read To Kill A Mockingbird over Christmas but I can't find it at home anywhere.

15. For some reason I've been reading war books recently. I've just finished Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks which is just stunning and the war sections are fantastic. The ending is absolutely tragic.

Another good one is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak about a German girl in WWII who falls in love with reading (It's not as shit as it sounds, honestly!). I'm not one to cry, especially not at books, but the ending was so heartbreaking. I had to cry myself to sleep I was in such a state.

16. We got told to read that by our English teacher last year as we were studying WW2 but i never got round to it. Apparently it's very good though.

Probably my three all time favourite authors have to be Stephen King, Darren Shan and Garth Nix - pretty much anything by either of them i absolutely love.

Stephen King doesn't even need and introduction - The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, The Dark Tower series, The Shining, Carrie, Salem's Lot - all masterpieces

Shan and Nix are probably what most people would call 'kids authors' but that doesn't really phase me, i still love their books.

17. I remember that Darren Shan came to my primary school years ago. It was the most exciting thing to ever happen in the school's history.

18. Ooooh I mentioned re-opening it and forgot to do it! Doh!

I've nearly finished Margaret Atwood's 'Alias Grace' which is good. I don't really get on with books set before the 20th century and it's felt quite long but it's kept me happy enough. I have a feeling it's going to have a sexual ending which I'm not entirely happy about!

19. I love Margaret Atwood. I read most of The Handmaid's Tale when the train I was on broke down in the middle of a tunnel. It was a peculiar book, but very good.

20. I went to a book signing he did a few years ago and he seemed like a really nice guy + his books are amazing

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.