PopJustice Book Club | Page 80 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. I'm still trying to get my Zen on by reading The Wisdom Of Sundays. It's good.

2. I finished reading Mark Manson's "The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F***", and it's honestly one of the most truthful and genuine books I've read. It totally gave me a reality check.

3. ... how?!?!?!
    And here I was feeling proud that I read 15 this year.

I just read the so famous Cat Person story and I kind of understand the craze around it.
    Looking forward to the aurhor's first novel.

Mina likes this.
  4. Oooh, I see!
    To be honest, I have never tried an audiobook.

My whole listening experience (apart from music, duh) consists of podcasts and even I'm quite new to that and many times I end up rewinding because I got distracted.

Ohwell!

Reading now The Good Inmigrant.
    I've just read two stories (out of 21) and they are superb and a bit sad.

Mina likes this.
  5. Just wanted to circle back and say I loved it. Took awhile for it to get going, but I think that's what made the book so magnificent as a whole. The writing really had a way of unfurling the mystery layer by layer, in this way that was so nonchalant about it that you had to reread the line just to make sure you were understanding correctly. And I get now why people hesitate to label it with one particular genre; I can even see why some people put it under "Horror."

Anyway, one of my favorites I've read these past few months. I just finished The Remains of the Day, too, which was less good (for me) but enjoyable all the same.

beyoncésweave and kmn04 like this.
  6. It's really good but I thought it would be a good idea to use it as my bedtime reading and I just ended up feeling... a lot at the end of every day as a result. So much of it is really relatable.

7. I am the same as you, I have never tried an audiobook because my attention wanders way too easily during a podcast.

8. I read Joe Biden's "Promise Me, Dad" and Michael Ausiello's "Spoiler Alert: The Hero Dies" back-to-back and was basically a weeping mess for days. 'Spoiler Alert' really fucked me up. If anyone isn't familiar with Ausiello, he founded TVLine.com after writing for Entertainment Weekly and TVGuide. His partner (after 13 years together) was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer and died 11 months later; the story is heartbreaking, funny, honest, inspiring, and incredible from start-to-finish. He holds nothing back - rather than painting his doomed hero as a saint, he explores his flaws, their various issues as a couple, and his own crippling insecurities. That honesty and willingness to really examine their bond and the ups-and-downs of a relationship is what makes it all the more relatable and eventually downright soul-crushing. I couldn't recommend it more.

9. I got La Belle Sauvage for Christmas and I'm gripped by the first line! Philip Pullman is my daddy.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Conan and RJF like this.
  10. I remember reading his post on TVLine when his partner died and it absolutely destroyed me, I was a mess. I honestly don't think I could get through this book.

VicePresidentJocasta likes this.
  11. There were a few points where I had to put the book down and take a breather. You'd think that knowing how it ends would make it easier, but every time they're given a glimmer of hope, I felt it - and I then felt it being ripped away 10x as hard. But in addition to the frequent despair, the book is written with so much heart and humour. As someone who has dealt with cancer several times in my family, this book really captured the journey; the need to laugh in the darkest moments, the bits of hope even when you know you shouldn't feel hopeful, the courage of someone fighting against all odds. I really fell in love with 'the hero' reading this book, and it made me smile almost as often as it made me cry in a fetal position. The way Ausiello so honestly discusses the imperfections of their relationship (they were actually living separately at one point, in addition to issues of infidelity, lack of a sex life, etc.) is incredibly admirable.

If you ever think you're up for it, I can't recommend it enough. I've thought of it nearly every single day since I've read it. It's really one of the best books I've picked up in ages.

popprincess likes this.
  12. I'm 100 pages into Gabriel Tallent's 'My Absolute Darling'. Blimey it's stunning.

13. So. La Belle Sauvage.

It felt a bit...redundant? Considering this was the first official return to such a groundbreaking series of books and the beginning of what I'm assuming will be a major new trilogy, I finished it kind of feeling like it was a story that didn't need to be told. Prequels can be weird and this committed the worst crime a prequel can be guilty of - it felt superfluous to His Dark Materials. Looking at the returning characters from the original trilogy - Lord Asriel and Coulter, especially - and it was a shame that we didn't really learn anything new about them that we couldn't have already deduced from the other books in the series. Plot-wise, this whole book could have been squeezed into one of those little novellas like Lyra's Oxford and Once Upon a Time in the North. It didn't feel important in the same way that every sentence of His Dark Materials felt.

Having said that...what a fucking pleasure as a reader to fall back into this world again. I missed it so much. Spending time in The Trout, meeting these new characters, having this cosy little world slowly come under fire from sinister outside forces - a joy. I remember reading Northern Lights over one Christmas when I was 12 years old and being utterly transfixed - it's hard to replicate that kind of joy as a reader when you're an adult but the first 250 or so pages of La Belle Sauvage really reminded me of that feeling (even if it didn't quite replicate it).

Most of the new characters felt like sketches more than anything else but I did enjoy spending time with Mal. There was a sweetness to his character that was made more intriguing by the those little moments when he was on the brink of a new adult world - watching his reaction to Bonneville beating his dæmon and, even moreso, his confused and excited reaction when Bonneville smiled at him in The Trout. Pullman writes so beautifully about crossing that scary line between "innocence" and maturity and it really gave this story an edge when it threatened to become too cosy/fantastical.

Everything that happened after the flood...I didn't love it. Maybe if the world of the flood had been brought to life with a bit more conviction I would have bought it but as it was I was just a bit...confused as to why this was the direction he had decided to take and largely underwhelmed.

tl;dr - Flawed but quite lovely too and I'm really excited for volume 2.

RJF likes this.
  14. I was looking for these in my Waterstones yesterday and they were NOWHERE!

I almost bought When Breath Becomes Air, Priestdaddy and We Were Eight Years In Power, but when I was queuing to pay... I left them aside and ran out because I remembered I have so many books in my bedside table to be read that they're about to fall on me.

Most painful experience ever.

One of my new year reading resolutions is to read more non-fiction, and I've heard about those so much I have to cave.

I'm currently reading the book of the moment (Fire and Fury, duh) and whatever the truth is, it is written in such a Rowling-esque style I can't help but love it.

15. Reading Little Fires Everywhere, and after seeing a quote from Reese Witherspoon gushing about it, all I can do is picture her in an HBO miniseries playing the role of Mrs. Richardson ala Big Little Lies.

Bookmark me.

Someboy and kmn04 like this.
  16. Not high-brow; but I just finished Michael Ausiello's Spoiler Alert: The Hero Dies and it was very beautiful and sad. I'd recommend for sure.

17. I recently finished "reading" this on audiobook and while I found it a slow start I ended up LOVING it. I will read anything Celeste Ng puts out, at this point.

18. I'm currently reading "The Return of the Young Prince" by A.G. Roemmers. I started reading it last December but sort of forgot about it until a few days ago. I love it so far.
    [​IMG]

19. Just read Armistead Maupin's Logical Family memoir. Beautiful.

20. [​IMG]

Someboy, londonrain, RJF and 5 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.