PopJustice Book Club | Page 85 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. I got it for Christmas and it’s been collecting dust since. The format is too bizarre for me. I do want to give it a proper go, but I’ve been putting it off.

2. I thought the same initially but ended up reading it in one sitting in a day I got so enthralled .

3. LTG

LTG

I loved it. It's the first Saunders I've ever read and it has made me want to read some of his short stories.

The only thing I really didn't like was the bit where Lincoln decides to end slavery because a slave ghost inhabits him for a bit. It felt like it was trivialising the issue.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    aaronhansome and backstreetjoe like this.
  4. I read the first few pages in Waterstones and I just didn’t get it. Can’t put it ahead of anything else in my (very big) backlog right now!

5. I've finally got around to reading this and it's great. Possibly my favourite book of the ones I've read this year. It just works in a way that I find difficult to describe.

aaronhansome likes this.
  6. I'm glad it's good!
    it's really up there in my "next to get" list.

I really need to stop buying more books.
    I think I have over 20 around my room waiting to be read, and last week I won a random Twitter contest and I won 9 more????? Coool, but damn.

So, no more impromptu visits to Waterstones or Foyles to make time for my trains.

[​IMG]

In other book news, I'm halfway through The Flying Mountain and I'm in love with it.
    So much that I was just about to buy his other book, Atlas of an Anxious Man when I remembered all my unread ones at home.

Soho is also amazing.
    Some of the poems leave you a bit... horny? Others wreck you. Others make you think.

I hate that poetry is so expensive though, but I'm down to giving my coin to up and coming artists anytime.

LTG and londonrain like this.
  7. LTG

LTG

I decide to try to spend less money on books, then I decide to support an independent bookshop or my friend recommends me something and I just crumble.

I discovered a great bookshop in Bloomsbury, Persephone Books who publish forgotten books (mainly by female writers) from the 20th century and sell them in their shop, and had to give them my money.

8. I’ve been meaning to go there when I go to London, but I know the outcome.
    I already have to go to Hatchards every time I go, and I want to go to Gay's The Word just cause I'm curious.

LTG and londonrain like this.
  9. Finished Soho.
    The last part, Oh My Soho!, is such a punch in the gut.

10. I am currently reading the second book "Authority" of the Southern Reach Trilogy and it started to bore me out a bit because of the narrative change. Like can we go back to the Area X please?

11. My boyfriend just read it and said it was a total chore, except for the last 10%. He liked it so little that he’s refusing to read the last one and just read a synopsis instead.

I finished Tigerman and it was... fine. The ending was good and it tied up nicely, but I didn’t feel that spark for it.

Just bought Tin Man and Less, which is my holiday next week taken care of.

londonrain, enjoy and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  12. I might have done the same thing if i had not already bought the third book.

13. Gay’s The Word is such a cute little bookstore I might have to include it on my “London Bookstores To Go Every Time I Visit The City”.

Bought Less and reading it on the train to a flooded Birmingham.
    Nothing happened to me. I’m just a homosexual at a Broadway show.
    The scream I had to muffle in my mouth.

Finished The Flying Mountain and it’s goooooorgeous.
    I need to get onto Flights if it’s that good as to win the Booker.

Speaking of the Booker...

I have read none of them :/

londonrain and LoveSoSoft like this.
  14. Finished Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng, the other day. Absolutely loved it!

Alphableat and Someboy like this.
  15. I bought Less today and I'm nominally reading Lincoln in the Bardo which I enjoy greatly but haven't had the motivation to finish because video games and Drag Race are easier.

I'm also reading The Velvet Rage from Alan Downs off a recommendation but since it requires so much from me, its slow goings. All good though. Enjoying Less at work while I have no customers.

16. I bought Less today and I'm nominally reading Lincoln in the Bardo which I enjoy greatly but haven't had the motivation to finish because video games and Drag Race are easier.

I'm also reading The Velvet Rage from Alan Downs off a recommendation but since it requires so much from me, its slow goings. All good though. Enjoying Less while I have a slow day at work.

17. I bought Less too! Haven't started it yet though. Somehow I expect to hate it. Come through internalized homophobia!

18. I was wondering if maybe people could give me some recommendations for books. Less sounds like it could be okay, but I'm SO picky when it comes to books that if a book doesn't sound amazing, I have a hard time convincing myself to read it.

At the risk of sounding unintelligent, I quite enjoy books that don't involve a lot of thought but are fun to read. Think Sophie Kinsella, Chris Manby, and Sarah Dunn. I thoroughly enjoyed The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion, too. I'd just really like to get some new books from authors other than the ones I know to be safe (most of my bookcase at this point is Jill Mansell!).

19. What about Armistead Maupin's Tales Of The City series?

truman and Fascination like this.
  20. I'm the say way. Takes me a lot to pick up a book but do love a good, easy, mindless read. I have a very heavy job and enjoy my reading and tv to be light-hearted escapes for me.

londonrain and Fascination like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.