Popjustice loves an underdog | The Popjustice Forum

Popjustice loves an underdog

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by peteyjames, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Discuss.

2. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I'm not sure what this topic's about.. Are we talking about the site or the members, underdogs in pop or in general?

3. I'm guessing pop. But Popjustice also loves Lady GaGa, Girls Aloud, Beyonce and Rihanna. None of which are underdogs.

4. 3Xs

3Xs

Why would you create a thread and not even describe what you mean? Ugh.

5. So how many of us have Eddie The Eagle Edwards posters on our wall?

('Who?' I bet 80% of this board is asking.)

6. Quite. Who?

7. The most famous underdog of them all...EVER...

... if you were born in the England before 1985ish.

8. I wrote a song with Eddie the Eagle in it, once

It was about the British mentality to support an underdog.

Anyway

No popjustice does not particularly favour an underdog.
    Like me it believes in quality and not from where it is coming from originally. has a sob story etc.

9. Eddie the Eagle's in one of those stupid Churchill adverts now! Frankly they're beneath him, he's amazing.

10. All I could think of was

[​IMG]

11. I think British people in general go for the underdogs. We like things undertstated. We want people to do well, but not too well. If you say what you've achieved you're showing off. American people on the other hand are proud of what they achieve. They want winners not underdogs.

That's just my opinion anyway,

12. People loved The Saturdays when they started off and they were complete underdogs.

13. I don't know, it's a really mixed picture, sure there can be massive threads about artists that sell almost nothing. But then there are those acts that get crucified when they sell less thanwhat some people expect.

The former is probably due to the existence of great music that doesn't sell well, the latter due to people's disappointment with the act in question, frustration at the 'pop landscape' not being attuned to their tastes, fear that the act will get dropped, or, amongst some members, plain old gloating. Both completely understandable, really, even if the predictable moaning about 'zomgflops' etc. is annoying irritating grinding excruciating.

Thank god that the front page almost always covers music not context unless it's positive context (brill video/performance/cover art, surprise success).

That's my little bit of pop(justice)-psychology for today.

14. Sort of. Take a look at my avatar for example, they're underdogs but their threads hardly ever get past page 5, but then again...look at the Annie threads! I guess it all comes down to personal preference really. Although sometimes what starts off as one persons preference can lead to a huge mould of forum members sharing the same preference. Be it bandwagon jumping, or just good taste in music!

15. It's why 9 times out of 10, American Idol gets better singers than The X Factor.

16. SBK

SBK

Its probably because a lot of popjustice like a bit of electropop with a donk on it, and the majority of the nation dont.

17. Agree with this and I fall into the category of loving the underdog. I hate people with ego's and who big themselves up before they do anything. I think one of the reasons X-factors Danyl Johnson ended up going as early as he did was because he was made the favourite by the judges. The UK media seems to do it too, they love to bring down the ones that are doing well and favouritise those that are 'underdogs'.

18. Everyone loves an underdog. Simples.

19. You are half right.

20. I thought most people were busy banging on about how they wouldn't be around in a year.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.