PopJustice News Network (PJNN): U.S. Politics Channel

An abortion bill everyone knew would fail was put up to a vote and it failed because there aren’t enough Dems in the Senate. Nobody cared, it was out of the news in like a day. So yeah, urging people to vote is 100% more productive than empty gestures that change nothing. Republicans cannot win elections and in order for that to happen people need to vote. Nothing else matters. It’s not a coincidence that abortion will be banned in red states and continue to be legal in blue states. Anything else is a massive cope.
I don't fully disagree, but the "vote" argument falls apart when Pelosi goes out of her way to push a "pro-lifer" over a younger, more progressive candidate within striking distance. Like, vote for what exactly? Dems have control of Congress.

I don't fully disagree, but the "vote" argument falls apart when Pelosi goes out of her way to push a "pro-lifer" over a younger, more progressive candidate within striking distance. Like, vote for what exactly? Dems have control of Congress.
I wanted Jessica to win, but that race was inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. Nancy Pelosi and Jim Clyburn aren’t going to vote to ban abortion. You’re talking about 1 pro-life congressman in the face of the entire house/senate Dem caucus and all state Dems. Also, it doesn’t matter that Dems have control of congress today when they lost the election that mattered with respect to the current SCOTUS.

There's surely no way out of this other than winning elections and getting enough progressives (not merely Democrats) in place to pass a nationwide abortion law. To anyone who is disparaging the idea of voting, what is the alternative plan to get abortion access to women living in rural Alabama? I admit it's a very forlorn hope, but at least it's a conceivable outcome.

The current Democrats do suck terribly, but concluding that the best course of action is just to disengage entirely from the process seems bonkers. Take over the party! It worked for the Republicans: they've been incredibly effective at wielding their political power through voting and are dominated by an activist base.

She/Her
For anyone else in the US considering permanent birth control options, Reddit has a list of doctors who are receptive to elective sterilization.

I was denied the last two times I asked, but I'm gonna try again, before they make that illegal too.

I am thinking about doing this, too. I live in a state (Minnesota) where abortion is unlikely to become illegal, but then again, who the hell knows anymore. My partner offered to get a vasectomy instead, because that's reversible, but I said, "What if someone rapes me and I get pregnant then? I don't want to have that baby." These are the things we have to consider now, I guess.

I honestly feel a little dead inside. I've been donating and voting and volunteering and doing everything I could for as long as I could to make sure this never happened, but now it's happened anyway. I'm fucking tired.

he/him
This makes me feel ill. So sad to know I live in a world where a woman has no decision on what happens with her own body. Luckily here in Maine abortion is still protected, but I fear for the future of that with jack asses like Pence calling for all states to change their law. Or we get a Republican President in the future and somehow it becomes a national law. Who knows, anything is possible, clearly if something as insane as what happened today occured.

I literally cannot conceive of the Democratic Party granting the federal right to women to get an abortion on demand nationwide.

I'd restate the challenge from my post, though. How would you go about making abortion legal in places like Alabama without the intervention of a federal law passed by Democrats?

OK so apparently the God Bless America singing was at a press conference for the passing of the gun control legislation. Horribly timed and optically poor? For sure. But I think it ought to be noted that they didn’t walk outside to say “Roe is overturned” and break into song (at least from what I have seen).

D

Deleted member 3385

I'd restate the challenge from my post, though. How would you go about making abortion legal in places like Alabama without the intervention of a federal law passed by Democrats?
I’m not trying to put one together, but I think a general strike has the greatest chance of succeeding right now. It’s remote and it still feels thousands of times more likely than the Democrats doing it during my lifetime.

I wanted Jessica to win, but that race was inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. Nancy Pelosi and Jim Clyburn aren’t going to vote to ban abortion. You’re talking about 1 pro-life congressman in the face of the entire house/senate Dem caucus and all state Dems. Also, it doesn’t matter that Dems have control of congress today when they lost the election that mattered with respect to the current SCOTUS.
Yeah but it's also the signal it sends that depresses confidence in Dem leadership and in voting more generally. To be honest, the signal is probably more important nationally than the race itself.

There's surely no way out of this other than winning elections and getting enough progressives (not merely Democrats) in place to pass a nationwide abortion law. To anyone who is disparaging the idea of voting, what is the alternative plan to get abortion access to women living in rural Alabama? I admit it's a very forlorn hope, but at least it's a conceivable outcome.

The current Democrats do suck terribly, but concluding that the best course of action is just to disengage entirely from the process seems bonkers. Take over the party! It worked for the Republicans: they've been incredibly effective at wielding their political power through voting and are dominated by an activist base.
Yeah, that's why I don't "fully" disagree. But, again, Dems have control of the legislative and executive branch, so...what's the hold up exactly? Didn't we uphold our end of the deal by voting them in? Why are mainstream Dems more willing to compromise with Republicans than progressives?

I made the mistake of clicking on one of those Twitter links and reading the comments. The amount of Starbucks-sipping "just keep voting!" Hillary-loving "it's Bernie's fault!!!" Democrats is infuriating me. Sis we ain't got time to wait for the Democrats to get 60 seats in the Senate to do something, and even then I honestly doubt they would.