Popjustice Retrochart - January 1980 - w/e 05/01/80

05/01/80 Singles Charts - What is the hottest song of the week?

• Another Brick In The Wall (Part II) - Pink Floyd

• Video Killed The Radio Star - Buggles

• No More Tears (Enough Is Enough) - Donna Summer

• I Have A Dream - ABBA

• Brass In Pocket - The Pretenders

• My Girl - Madness

• Babe - Styx

• Please Don't Go - KC & The Sunshine Band

• Rock With You - Michael Jackson

• We Don't Talk Anymore - Cliff Richard

Results are only viewable after voting.
btw phoenix123 - the tags work for me and please can you update this thread with deadlines so I know when I need to get my bottom into gear for posting uploads!

Amazing idea! I already have lists starting from my birth year in 1987 so it is nice to extend that.

However if I understand correctly you have to do this weekly? I do not think I can make that (I will try too). I think I will manage to do it monthly and I am ot that bothered to just post it as it doesnot count than obviously.

Amazing idea! I already have lists starting from my birth year in 1987 so it is nice to extend that.

However if I understand correctly you have to do this weekly? I do not think I can make that (I will try too). I think I will manage to do it monthly and I am ot that bothered to just post it as it doesnot count than obviously.

This is supposed to be fun so there is no compulsion whatsoever.

I would love numerous people to be able to contribute every week but totally understand this isn't feasible for some. You are welcome to post a chart a few weeks a month when able or just a monthly list in the last week of the month we can work out how to include it I'm sure. I've tried to accommodate those who might not be able to post weekly in the rules by using "frozen" charts for weeks they miss.

btw phoenix123 - the tags work for me and please can you update this thread with deadlines so I know when I need to get my bottom into gear for posting uploads!

Deadline will always be midnight Saturdays for the chart to be revealed on the Sunday in true retro style.

None of this new fangled Friday afternoon pop chart rubbish!

(the forum only allows you to ping a certain number of people per post - I think the limit is 5)

Thanks for the info!

Well you are welcome to contribute Russron even if its just a top 10 once in a while.
Oh! I didn't realize that. It does make it easier for me to just dip my toe in first and see if I get hooked...
The first chart is all the more interesting for me as it's basically a list of the latter half of 1979:

1. michael jackson - don't stop 'til you get enough (released aug 10)
2. donna summer - on the radio (nov)
3. the flying lizards - money (july 13 - so still qualifies, right?)
4. lio - le banana split ("1979": https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Banana_split - but since it didn't start charting until feb '80: http://www.laurentpons.com/charts/france/top40tmp973.htm , it's a safe bet it was late 1979...)
5. gang of four - damaged goods (2nd single off a sept album, i.e. another safe bet... nb: not the original '78 ep)
6. bauhaus - bela lugosi's dead (aug 6)
7. talking heads - life during wartime (nov)
8. david bowie - john, i'm only dancing (again) (dec)
9. abba - gimme gimme gimme
10. blondie - dreaming (sept 14)
11. the beat - tears of a clown (sept)
12. motörhead - bomber (dec)
13. cheap trick - dream police (sept)
14. abba - i have a dream
15. donna summer & barbra streisand - no more tears
16. chic - my feet keep dancing
17. booker t & the mg's - green onions (re-release dec)
18. spizzenergi - soldier soldier (sep 21)
19. serge gainsbourg - des laids, des laids (aug: http://www.laurentpons.com/charts/france/top40tmp947.htm)
20. the sugarhill gang - rapper's delight
21. grace jones - on your knees (aug)
22. joy division - transmission (oct)
23. buzzcocks - harmony in my head (july 13!)
24. the undertones - here comes the summer (july 13!)
25. madness - one step beyond (oct 26)
26. donna summer - dim all the lights (aug)
27. the police - message in a bottle (sept)
28. the selecter - on my radio (oct 26)
29. the clash - london calling
30. blondie - union city blue

Gah! Usurping my own rules!

I won't list it next week!

I don't want to be TOO strict on that rule. Just want the chart to be reflective of the time and not have old 60s/70s songs. Maybe I should extend it to a year?

Slightly tweaked my top 7; Brass in Pocket was my defining song in the first week after New Year 1980, so that needs to be ahead of the chasing pack.

The Cubster's Chart:

There is no "Last week's position" but I've given a direction to indicate movement (for realism)

W/e 5th Jan 1980
TW LW Title Artist

1 Non mover WALKING ON THE MOON The Police
2 Up BRASS IN POCKET The Pretenders
3 Up I ONLY WANT TO BE WITH YOU The Tourists
4 Up TEARS OF A CLOWN The Beat
5 Down ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL (PART TWO) Pink Floyd
6 Up PLEASE DON'T GO KC and the Sunshine Band
7 Down UNION CITY BLUE Blondie
8 Down RAPPER'S DELIGHT Sugarhill Gang
9 Down I HAVE A DREAM Abba
10 Up IS IT LOVE YOU'RE AFTER? Rose Royce
11 Down A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS TIME Paul Mcartney
12 Down QUE SERA MI VIDA (IF YOU SHOULD GO) Gibson Brothers
13 Up LONDON CALLING The Clash
14 Down COMPLEX Gary Numan
15 Down OFF THE WALL Michael Jackson
16 New MY GIRL Madness
17 Up SPACER Sheila and B Devotion
18 Down LIVING ON AN ISLAND Status Quo
19 New ROCK WITH YOU Michael Jackson
20 New I WANNA BE YOUR LOVER Prince

Commentary Alan Jones style:

In The Cubster's region The Police have a firm grip at number one but The Pretenders are lining up quickly behind them! The current US number 1 from KC and the Sunshine Band are climbing rapidly at number 6. The SKA revival is gaining pace as both The Beat and Madness are in the top 20 and climbing. Meanwhile, Michael Jackson has two singles in the top 20 "Off the wall' on the way down and his current US release "Rock with you" is a new entry at number 19 on US import points alone - it's due an official release in the UK later on this month!
At number 20 is someone who has been causing a bit of a stir stateside: Prince and "I wanna be your lover" - it's trying to crack the top ten of the Hot 100 stateside as I write and here in The Cubster region it's already picking up points!
Will he crossover into the mainstream UK chart?

Edit: I'm being a cheeky cub and have copied EG's formatting for the chart log as it's easier to read on the eye!

Last edited:
I understand those of you who feel more familiar with the mid 80s, I am the same but I think discovering some earlier music is always fun and surely there is enough interesting even in the early 80s for a top 10? I mean we have Queen, Blondie, ABBA, The Jam, Billy Joel, Phil Collins/Genesis, Bruce Springsteen, some great acts coming up.

You know you want to @iheartpoptarts .

Im waiting for @idratherjack 's choices too!