Popjustice Song Contests Hub: PJSC, PJ Retro, PJ00s, PJXtra – The Re-Up | Page 7 | The Popjustice Forum

Popjustice Song Contests Hub: PJSC, PJ Retro, PJ00s, PJXtra – The Re-Up

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Jeffo, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Also, the description for Xtra could do with being changed up to reflect the new schedule and theme of the competition (ie Non English language songs from the 21st century) if that’s ok? Thanks!

2. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

[​IMG]

3. In case this helps, there actually are links to the contest threads (with the exception of a handful of older ones) on the wikidot page. For example, see "Link to thread" at the top of this page: http://pjschq.wikidot.com/pjsc-93

TéléDex, WoW73, soratami and 3 others like this.
  4. I've entered PJSC since round 72 - have voted for @Derek 15 times! Taste etc.

Derek, berserkboi and Untouchable Ace like this.
  5. BeingNormal, TéléDex, WoW73 and 5 others like this.
  6. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Dddd @Jeffo I think we can confirm that PJXtra is now an established contest on a regular schedule. It's just less frequent than the other contests, but it's very much a regular contest now.

7. It was intended to be a lighthearted joke at the discourse surrounding what the frequency of the contest should be, but it's from a couple of rounds ago so I'll remove it.

8. Does this mean the multiple crowning also incorporates PJXtra now?

I want to say I want to ask for @londonrain solely but it would mean I am triple crown wearer too then ddd. So I might be too biased for a discussion concerning this.

9. I hope we aren't going to have to strive for a 'quadruple crown' now. I feel like the Xtra one is too niche for that crown count status because the others are essentially send in anything in comparison.

livefrommelbs and Maki like this.
  10. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

In fairness you could argue that a lot of the PJ Retro themes are just as restrictive.

11. I don't know, a non-English format when most of the forum listens to mostly if not all English-speaking music is pretty restrictive.

Jeffo likes this.
  12. I know this is going to ruffle some feathers but I'm going to hold off on that for the time being. The thing is, there was a lot of volatility in the creation and direction of this contest. There was uncertainty over whether it would be a """regular""" contest and what its frequency should be, there was uncertainty over whether it would be just a non-English contest or if other niche themes unrelated to language would be allowed, and one round dipped below 20 participants** -- and that's all within its first five rounds.

While it's great that these issues have seemingly been ironed out, I think it's best to wait and make sure that the contest can reasonably maintain this direction for a while before we begin considering the crown situation in earnest. The thing is, the other three contests occur consistently without much issue (individual hosting issues notwithstanding) and they have for years now. Even when PJOPS was in crisis last year, there wasn't much doubt that something equivalent would take its place.

** I recognize this has been, so far, a one-time issue, but it was still worrying so early on in terms of trying to figure out the future viability of the contest.

Untouchable Ace and Maki like this.
  13. I'm going to disagree here -- only some of the themes are that restrictive (like the round that restricted to non-English and instrumental music, for instance). I'd argue that the majority are only lightly restrictive, if at all. In fact, of the last ten rounds, only one felt particularly restrictive (the male vocals round). The other were either lightly restrictive, more interpretive than they were restrictive (typically the ones based around lyrical content), or weren't restrictive at all.

Untouchable Ace and DJHazey like this.
  14. The hill I will die on - Foreign Language ie Non-English encompasses the majority of music that has ever been released and is in no way restrictive by sheer Mathematics (hi @pop3blow2 :D)! If this seems restrictive in any way (and no shade intended here), the onus falls on you to expand your mind a little and listen to more than just the (and I am probably being generous here) 10% that this Language corner affords! The exquisite world you open for yourself when you listen to a new language in song (happened to me recently listening to more Arabic, Punjabi and Portuguese music) is well worth it! :D

15. These last couple of days I finished PJ00s and PJXtra while also being in the veto panel for PJSC and PJRetro. I don't think I'd ever had to focus on all four contests at the same time like this before dd

16. And we love you for it!

17. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I agreed with this approach in the first couple of rounds, but now that there is actually a PJXtra Vault, a regularly updated list of previously-entered songs, a regular veto panel, and a definite theme (all rounds so far have been foreign-language and that is the permanent theme going forward) I'm now inclined to think that it has earned its status on par with the other three contests.

Whether a foreign-language theme is restrictive or not is kind of beside the point. Each of the four contests requires a different area of knowledge - some people just aren't familiar with obscure songs that were released before they were born, or don't listen to contemporary music, or only listen to English music. The double and triple crowns simply show people's ability to win on different playing fields, in the same way that, say, a Grand Slam in tennis is a marker of your ability to win four completely different tournaments on different surfaces in different countries. You could argue that winning four PJSCs shows a consistency and depth that winning a single gold medal in each song contest doesn't, and you could argue that winning all four song contests shows a breadth of knowledge that winning four PJSCs doesn't. It's all relative.

18. tldr - "I want to be the first Quadruple Crown Winner!"

---

I don't know, I still stand on the side of the other contests literally just specifying a time period, but allowing you to send anything otherwise. You can say "it's on you to know more than English!" all you want, but the reality is we don't in most cases. Our knowledge, for most contest participants, is 90% or more English. Our Spotify playlists/music libraries are the same. So a contest that asks you to only look at a small percentage of songs you listen to is restrictive whether you want to say it is or not. The very name of the song contest being Xtra, as in when the contest was created it was explicitly called an 'extra' thing. I vividly remember the people creating saying as much, and now they want their wins in it to hold more water so to speak.

19. I think @londonrain has a point, it's really not just about being the first quadruple winner. I'm pretty sure for quite a few people, myself included, it's a lot easier to find something to submit for PJXtra than it is for PJRetro. It's really not that restrictive, and I think it shouldn't be considered "less" than the other contests, especially now that it has a defined set of rules, a steady schedule and a solid number of regular participants.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.