Popjustice Song Contests Hub: PJSC, PJ Retro, PJ00s+, PJXtra – Updates

Hosting or co-hosting the Forum Song Contests should be open to...

• Medalists only

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Medalists and/or users that expressed interest before

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • Only users that expressed interest before

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Does not matter to me

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, name another instance where people discussing an entry during the voting period actually had some sort of real impact one way or the other.
This brings me back to 'better be safe than sorry' approach. If it happened once, it could happen again so why risk it?
That said, I definitely do find it puzzling that participants can react in a certain (drastic) way when their entry gets talked about but nobody's perfect etc.

I assume I can speak on behalf of everyone to say that we all want the contests to be fun for all parties involved. I am certainly not trying to be the rules police. We can’t control how people will vote or not, or how they will react. However, if there is something simple that we can do to make the playing field a little more level, I don’t see any harm in at least acknowledging it.

Playing fields are level, right? You know me, Super Athletics Fan @WowWowWowWow !

IMG_3519.png

This brings me back to 'better be safe than sorry' approach. If it happened once, it could happen again so why risk it?
That said, I definitely do find it puzzling that participants can react in a certain (drastic) way when their entry gets talked about but nobody's perfect etc.

Well, if something happened a single time across hundreds of rounds is it really worth doing something about it? That was my point.

But I mean, I just think this is something that's more about everyone having common sense and not going overboard (which I don't think has ever really happened) than something which requires serious monitoring.

I assume I can speak on behalf of everyone to say that we all want the contests to be fun for all parties involved. I am certainly not trying to be the rules police. We can’t control how people will vote or not, or how they will react. However, if there is something simple that we can do to make the playing field a little more level, I don’t see any harm in at least acknowledging it.
I'm almost sure people will vote for what they like regardless of who sent what, at least that's how contests should work. And I say this as someone who enjoys guessing and figuring out who sent what.

Well, if something happened a single time across hundreds of rounds is it really worth doing something about it? That was my point.
We just had pages of arguing about something that happened a single time across hundreds of rounds so...

But I mean, I just think this is something that's more about everyone having common sense and not going overboard (which I don't think has ever really happened) than something which requires serious monitoring.
Maybe biased and correct me if I am wrong. This was pretty overboard I think as this was during the voting period.

allow me to point out that Et c'est parti, Let Go, and Emotional are all amazing.
Loads of great songs, beautiful songs in the longlist but Et c’est parti really is a next level banger and the singer (who I’d never heard of) seems to be an AMAZING 00s-style popstar.
Support for a French song?

In PJ00s?

It’s finally happening, kids.

giphy.gif
Having both Nadiya and Najoua in the same round is kind of iconic. French Divas VS Rate coming soon!

I'd be lapping that up as free promo to be honest dd.
Well, I do not know what happened and maybe it was pure chance all those people were praising it and I am not saying people deliberately stopped voting for it. But it got 39 points from 46 voters combined. I think we can all agree it is at least a bit odd after that initial praise first and the highlight the song got.

Maybe biased and correct me if I am wrong. This was pretty overboard I think as this was during the voting period.

That wasn't really what we were talking about though, this was someone threatening to withdraw their entry because people were saying a different version should had been submitted or whatever.

Maybe the Nadiya thing was a bit over the top, but can't really blame people for being excited about it, given how badly FL fared back then, not to mention early PJ00s was quite a different beast, as you had people chatting basically nonstop throughout the contest (I mean that one is 94 pages long). The good old days...

londonrain

Staff member
Well I'm Team @soratami today. I want to drag this month's troll entry/famous classical piece sampling veto panel fail in PJSC as soon as I hear it.
Thankfully it’s been a while since we had a real clunker like the time the panel let through a UK top 50 single that was built around a credited sample of a UK top 10 hit dddd.

(The top 10 hit was Who Am I by Beenie Man. Simmer is still an absolute banger, though.)

Having been on three of the four panels, I’d say PJSC is easily the toughest to be on because the songs are usually so new that the samples are not listed on WhoSampled.com yet. (Classical pieces are usually public domain so they don’t get songwriting credits either, which makes it basically impossible to identify an interpolation unless you know the piece already - although I’d say it’s pretty hard to determine whether a piece is too well-known anyway because it’s not like they have chart positions from 1800 that you can refer to.)

I found it annoying that my entry was being discussed in the way that it was. I'm not saying it would've done better if it hadn't been discussed in a negative manner, but it was still unnecessary in my opinion.
I need to apologize for starting this discussion. I wasn't even in that round and I should have just shrugged and kept my shock to myself. I tried to word that initial post in a way that made it clear it's not that serious and I guess, it's not like people don't ever question how something passed veto... but that is a conversation that should be had after everyone had already voted. I can only hope the performance of Felicita was due to the participants flop taste and not any prejudice that I might have stupidly contributed to.

I was about to host a special round with bersekboi for PJXTRA, but I now have 4 different conversations discussing that as there are several special rounds just finished/started and coming. For the latter ones I would like to ask what the timeline is. Cause I am lost ddd

We just had PJ00 adjacent/PJXmas

We now have PJVeto

- @londonrain was bound to host PJ00 second chances in November, but is that still happening soon?
- @Untouchable Ace is going to host a PJ Winners rate. Do you know when?
- Me and @berserkboi want to do a special PJXtra secondchances round in the wide sense (meaning foreign language songs entered in PJ00/PJSC before PJXTRA started are also eiligible) instead of a "regular" PJXtra 25 round. That might be in the good hands of @BubblegumBoy as he voluntered.

Let me tag @soratami, @Maki @Attis and @Up N Down too, to check what they prefer for the next PJXtra round as current veto panel.
For timing purposes on this point, historically I thought that PJ00s+ second chance #3 would happen in between rounds 62 and 63 (62.5) the opportune time being to open submissions when round 62's voting was open.

With the forum happenings right now, what would be great for timing is for the next spin off contest to be in line with the end of PJSC-Veto #3.
I hope that is PJ00s+ Second chance #3. Is this happening under the fingertips of @londonrain or if anyone remembers any potential hosts from the podium of PJ00s second chance #2?

londonrain

Staff member
I was intending to open the round around now but my laptop has been on the blink for a few weeks now, annoyingly!

The winner of the last Second Chances round was actually @Hurricane Drunk, and the second and third places went to @soratami and @livefrommelbs, so I’d be happy to hand over the reins to any of them if they want to host. (Fourth place was @Island and fifth place was you, @Untouchable Ace.)

I was hoping to maintain the same rules as the last Second Chances round, so covers and remixes would be allowed as long as they met the basic PJ00s+ veto criteria, and eligible songs from other contests would also be allowed.

Island

Staff member
I was intending to open the round around now but my laptop has been on the blink for a few weeks now, annoyingly!

The winner of the last Second Chances round was actually @Hurricane Drunk, and the second and third places went to @soratami and @livefrommelbs, so I’d be happy to hand over the reins to any of them if they want to host. (Fourth place was @Island and fifth place was you, @Untouchable Ace.)

I was hoping to maintain the same rules as the last Second Chances round, so covers and remixes would be allowed as long as they met the basic PJ00s+ veto criteria, and eligible songs from other contests would also be allowed.
Whoever hosts should make it an Alizée themed round.