Popjustice Song Contests Hub: PJSC, PJ Retro, PJ00s+, PJXtra – Updates | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

Popjustice Song Contests Hub: PJSC, PJ Retro, PJ00s+, PJXtra – Updates

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by WoW73, Nov 21, 2021.

?

Hosting or co-hosting the Forum Song Contests should be open to...

Poll closed Oct 8, 2022.
  1. Medalists only

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Medalists and/or users that expressed interest before

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  3. Only users that expressed interest before

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. Does not matter to me

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. It wouldn't, with the exception of Retro because Retro hosts can choose a theme that actually restricts songs that don't fit. But even in that case, people start getting persnickety if they think a theme is too limiting or that there have been too many restrictive rounds recently because they can't enter the songs they want to enter.

The only way to get more diverse entries is to have more diverse winners. But even then, that would only go so far. People aren't going to start entering songs they're not that into.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  2. I'm sorry but some people continually acting like every round of every contest is always the same thing and the only way to shake things up is if people who never won before get to host is not only completely nonsensical but also honestly disrespectful to those of us who host somewhat regularly. Other than @imaduck's legends rounds, which were honestly iconic, have there ever even been any instances of any host always sticking to the same theme(s)?

Also, if people want more variety/risk-taking, they could always try sending more varied/risky entries themselves, which recent rounds have clearly shown often pays off. Trying to influence/restrict what people can submit isn't the way to go.

slaybellz, BubblegumBoy, swim and 4 others like this.
  3. Apologies if you feel that way from anything I’ve posted. I don’t think anybody’s criticised regular contest hosts in this thread as we all know how much blood, sweat, tears can go into running a round. Indeed, in my ‘conversation starter’ I stated -
    I just believe it was a conversation worth having.

4. You literally said

All rounds already have a different flavour and voice guiding them, they're hosted by dozens of different people, each with their own hosting style and almost always with different themes. I just think this notion that a round hosted by someone who has never done it before can be this new, magical and totally different experience that repeat hosts just can't provide is pretty ridiculous. I mean, it's always cool when someone gets to host for the first time, but it's generally hardly all that different from when a repeat host does it.

Untouchable Ace likes this.
  5. You took that to be a criticism?

6. The definition of a reach.

Nobody’s saying repeat hosts can’t provide “magical’ experiences - bit dramatic but hey - just it’d be nice to mix it up.

7. But in all seriousness, I don't think this topic is that worthy of discussing. It's not like we have a lack of hosts (which, on the contrary, is the case with veto panelists) so we need to seek them. Reality is, even the 'ready hosts' can be unavailable to host during a particular time, despite having a theme ready and the same can happen with medalists, so it really doesn't matter in the end.

slaybellz, Up N Down and soratami like this.
  8. I mean, you were the one going on about "untapped potential", "new flavours" and "new voices" and what have you, in response to someone saying they never got to host before. I'd say it's already pretty mixed when you have dozens of different people host song contests through the year, but sorry if you feel like they're serving you the same slop every time and getting some new blood in the mix is the only way to break out of the monotony.

Anyway, it is true this discussion is pretty pointless, so yeah.

9. You’ve taken it way too personally (and put your own words in my mouth) but that’s your prerogative. Thanks for the input!!

10. To be honest I was overdramatising a bit there nn. I do think things are fine as they are and the song contests are as popular as they've ever been, which is especially impressive given the forum has been closed for years and other parts of it are definitely not as active as they've been in the past, so this notion that ~change~ is needed is just a bit odd. A potential host list for when medalists aren't up for it could be a good idea, sure. But beyond that? Ehh.

slaybellz and Maki like this.
  11. There's plenty of things we could improve with PJSC but diversifying hosting (?) ain't really one of them. Good intentions, not thought through results. By all means go ahead for oldies, retro, whatever its called (as I'll never win) but PJSC has been solid enough for years with constantly surprising winners - otherwise I'd always win.

12. If you want people to take risks with their entries and enter songs that are way left-field, then why not have host choice be:

1. Winner
    2. Silver Medalist
    3. Bronze Medalist
    4. Tiny Crown Winner

Now people might try to enter songs that have a chance to finish last place if they end up being a bit too 'out there' for alot of people, but everyone at least gets to hear someone's obscure favorite and they have an added chance at being able to host.

Everyone wins.

Also, this could lead to more @Filler hosted rounds.

Maki, Doodvid, BubblegumBoy and 3 others like this.
  13. Thing is the most out there entries rarely ever actually end up in last place, unless they're really, really abrasive. The last placers almost always just end up being pleasant songs that most people enjoy well enough but which just aren't striking enough to really get people's attention/votes.

14. It looks like the option "Medalists and/or users that expressed interest before" is the most popular. Anyone that would like to host or co-host, just reply to this and I will add your name to the first post of this thread, in case someone wants to use a co-host or perhaps does not wish to host

15. [​IMG]

16. I see both PJ00s and PJSC are due to do deadlines/reveals the same weekend. Any chance either of them would like to move up one week? Weekend of Oct 22/23 does not seem to have anything there *hint hint*

TéléDex, Ezz, Maki and 1 other person like this.
  17. Fine.
    I'm not making anything for them this time anyway.

berserkboi and Maki like this.
  18. Ezz

Ezz

I would (especially 00s, potentially Retro if a theme could be crowdsourced!) at some point in the future...

19. Dates updated, with the suggested new name for 00s

20. I was thinking that, especially now with the introduction of PJ00s+, it could be a good idea to have a spreadsheet with every song entered in every contest. No additional information needed, just a place where people can check if a song has been submitted anywhere, instead of having to look at 2-3 different spreadsheets, which can be a pain both for submitters and veto panelists.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.