Popjustice Song Contests Hub: PJSC, PJ Retro, PJ00s – The Re-Up | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

Popjustice Song Contests Hub: PJSC, PJ Retro, PJ00s – The Re-Up

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Jeffo, Aug 10, 2019.

1. If PJXtra becomes a regular thing - that will be 4 crowns we’ll all have to aim for!

I am just glad I have the one at this stage ddddd

Sprockrooster, soratami, Maki and 2 others like this.
  2. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I thought the whole point of it was that it was “extra” and not a regular contest.

Doodvid and Maki like this.
  3. I think it should count for triple/quadruple crowns though, at least assuming there really are going to be a few rounds every year.

Untouchable Ace likes this.
  4. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

But... what is PJXtra? @WoW73 indicated in the last round that it doesn't have to be a foreign-language theme each round and can have different themes each time. If that's the case then how is it distinct from the other song contests? Is it just a watered-down PJSC with specific themes?

5. I've held off on referencing it here until there was a consensus reached on its regularity and how it should count for this kind of stuff.

Sprockrooster and londonrain like this.
  6. A themed contest that works as a modern counterpart to PJRetro, since PJ00s and PJSC are always themeless.

That said, I wouldn't mind if it was always non-English songs either.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Maki, Untouchable Ace and londonrain like this.
  7. It was all in jest (do not know if I spelled that correctly). I see myself as 2+ crown winner. There were also these contest were people could re-enter songs (forgot their name). Winners from that are the same issue.

I did think PJXtra was language based and not necessiraly theme based. That might change things for the contest I am hosting... You could Always have more language PJXtra's. That said I am not sure what kind of theme would work for this part of the year. I can see the end of the year becoming X-mas or a summer bop one. Plenty to think about when I am in Iceland.

8. The plan is:
    PJXtra 2 - Languages
    PJXtra 3 - Male vocals
    PJXtra 4 - Languages
    PJXtra 5 - Songs exclusively released in 2012

There's enough other language songs out there for every second contest to be themed as such and every odd contest can be something completely different.

Sprockrooster likes this.
  9. Is this set in stone? Or do I have the chance to change something as host? Just wondering!

Untouchable Ace likes this.
  10. @Untouchable Ace isn't being serious! There isn't actually any plan for the future rounds.

11. I'm just projecting.
    I hope that I can project the future the way I want it though.

Share your theme for PJXtra with us now.

Sprockrooster likes this.
  12. Well since I just figured out that it isn't always languages necessarily. I will think about it. I understood now it has to be something that isnot too common in the regular contest but also is not too niche. Preferably something that doesn't do well in the regular contests.

I am thinking live performances now. Let me marinate that idea.

Untouchable Ace, berserkboi and Maki like this.
  13. [​IMG]

14. My thoughts are that PJXtra should remain themeless, as it is a separate contest with its own rules, and already includes restrictions (songs have to be released in 2000 and onwards, and only European languages are acceptable).
    Maybe 'worldwide languages' can be an acceptable alteration on the regular theme, since we're celebrating
    language diversity (although that may be a risk, since the contest may develop into a K-pop song contest).

In the end, it's up to the host.

berserkboi and WoW73 like this.
  15. Well, I organised the Xtra round to focus on non-English official European languages because :
    - I miss many of those in Eurovision
    - I miss many of those in PJSC
    I discussed the other rules with the veto panelists of the particular round - I think we came up with an interesting set of rules and songlist as a result of that. As the K-pop forum has their own contests and rates, I included European languages as one of the rules.

By no means are those rules set in stone for future Xtra rounds (though I'd love English to remain excluded!), I think it attracted some newbies from the Eurovision sub-forum to PJ contests as it's kinda close to the Pre-1999 Eurovision.
    I for one will more likely to enter a new round if it's non-English and non K-Pop.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  16. Yeah personally I think I'd just prefer keeping future rounds more or less similar to the first one instead of having a new theme every time.

Maki, berserkboi and WoW73 like this.
  17. The language aspect has legs and since we did Europe last time, there is nothing stopping us from doing a round with just Asian languages or one with just African languages either...

Maki and WoW73 like this.
  18. Hm, interesting thought, but TBH, I think that will not garner as much appeal as the European languages?

soratami, Maki and berserkboi like this.
  19. Can we have a different theme once in a while for a once in a while contest?
    I've wanted to do a theme for a round I hosted before but with 3 competitions for this century that would be impossible.

Yes of course Let's have lots of language rounds, but this is a competition in it's own right and it can be fluid.

Maki, berserkboi and soratami like this.
  20. Island

Island Staff Member

I'm cool with PJXtra being like something that happens every three months or so but not another regular contest.

londonrain and Maki like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.