Popjustice Viewers' Poll

I seriously love the Montag. "Overdosin" was one of my very favorite songs of the year (not top 10 but top 20 to be sure).

Yes! Amazing! I remember very clearly voting for MGMT, Kanye West and Ladyhawke in some of the categories. (Of course 'Kids' as the number #2 single of the year is just plain wrong, since it clearly is the best. Although I think I voted for Ladyhawke's 'My Delirium' which kind of doesn't make sense now does it. ANYWAY.) And although I kinda dislike the concept of the 'worst' lists, it is kinda funny seeing the 'babes ruling them. So it wasn't just me then...?

D

debord

What a hilarious poll. It’s less to do with the best of 2008 than the complete lack of imagination of the voters. ‘No, Girls Aloud don’t win everything’. No, because Britney wins some categories too. As for ‘If I Were A Boy’ having worse lyrics than ‘Womanizer’…..hahahahahahahahahahahhahah!

D

debord

Well it says a lot that anyone could have predicted a Girls Aloud and Britney Spears dominance in the poll before anyone had heard a note of music from either.

I'm not being unpleasant but how could Womanizer be considered the best single of the year? Surely that's a sympathy vote. It's dire! I say this as a Britney fan who plays Gimme More on a constant basis. Of course people can vote what they want but I'm a bit shocked by this. I really am. Womanizer? It's mind-boggling.

Popjustice

Staff member
he/him
debord said:
Well it says a lot that anyone could have predicted a Girls Aloud and Britney Spears dominance in the poll before anyone had heard a note of music from either.

I know what you mean, but I'd also have predicted dominance from Madonna and Sugababes...

D

debord

I wouldn’t have with Sugababes at all, unless they’d announced that they were doing a full album with Xenomania or something. Perhaps with Madonna, but as soon as it was known she was going in a more r&b direction I knew it wouldn’t go down well here.

The question now is who will win the Popjustice song of the year – Girls Aloud or Britney Spears?

D

debord

Well that's that sorted then.

You know, i've never even noticed that it was only British acts who were eligible. Silly me.

D

Deleted member 2720

'Stuck On Repeat' most overrated Song ! It must be a typo, surely it was most understated?

All I can say about the results of that poll... is oh dear!

"If I Were A Boy" really is the worst piece of lyrics last year, though. Narrowly beating "I Kissed A Girl" (an otherwise good song).

And Madonna didn't go down well because her album sucks.

'Womanizer' is, however, not the best anything.

D

debord

‘IIWAB’ and ‘IKAG’ are two of the most lyrically interesting POP songs of the year and I think the votes for them are more along the lines of ‘oh this song is so pretentious/thinks it’s so outrageous’ rather than ‘what appallingly bad lyrics’. Is anyone seriously claiming that ‘Womanizer womanizer woman womanizer oh womanizer womanizer you’re a womanizer’ is better?

"Womanizer" is probably my second favorite single this year, after "Just Dance", so I'm pleased it won. It's not half as bad as some would like it to be.

Sugababes coming in second in the 'worst album' category is a joke though. But you win some and lose others I guess.

debord said:
Is anyone seriously claiming that ‘Womanizer womanizer woman womanizer oh womanizer womanizer you’re a womanizer’ is better?

You missed the most lyrically profound bit:

"Oooh, oooh oooh you! Womanizer!"

debord said:
‘IIWAB’ and ‘IKAG’ are two of the most lyrically interesting POP songs of the year and I think the votes for them are more along the lines of ‘oh this song is so pretentious/thinks it’s so outrageous’ rather than ‘what appallingly bad lyrics’. Is anyone seriously claiming that ‘Womanizer womanizer woman womanizer oh womanizer womanizer you’re a womanizer’ is better?

Instead of nitpicking on "Womanizer", please explain what is lyrically interesting about "I Kissed a Girl"?

D

debord

Dag said:
debord said:

Instead of nitpicking on "Womanizer", please explain what is lyrically interesting about "I Kissed a Girl"?

It’s hardly ‘nit-picking’ – the lyrics to ‘Womanizer’ are just terrible in every single way. ‘IKAG’ at least has something to it, something to get your teeth into and caused countless debates about the rights and wrongs of it and the nature of sexuality (and it’s this ability to provoke a reaction which has led to them being in that list). Not to mention that the lyrics themselves are actually pretty playful and funny. There were countless pop songs last year that had lyrics that were completely banal and unmemorable.