Prince | Page 149 | The Popjustice Forum

Prince

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Aidan, Apr 21, 2016.

1. It’s a shame they didn’t do Hit 2 on purple vinyl to match the edition of Hits 1 they released a couple of years ago, oh well, I went for the black edition of Hits 2.

2. The B Sides vinyl will probably be yet another colour when it eventually comes out

3. I have to say I've always loved The Hits/B-Sides compilation. The fact that it came out at such an acrimonious time in the relationship between Prince and WB is kind of amazing.

I remember finding the fat box in an HMV sale and was overjoyed to get it.

AbSynth, Hairycub1969 and johnoclock like this.
  4. It was a miracle that they managed to make such a comprehensive set for such a prolific artist. For a casual fan, it was a great summation of his imperial years. And again, the b-sides disc, what a treat to have them all in one place (even if it's missing Love or Money).

AbSynth, Hairycub1969 and torontodj like this.
  5. We can't be having a conversation about Prince's b-sides without a moment to recognise the sheer genius of:

The extended version with several minutes extra genius is indispensible.

6. Everybody wants to sell what’s already been sold.

Blaahh and Eric Generic like this.
  7. We need the Camille album with extras to be released, probably his finest work in theory.

iveivan and Eric Generic like this.

8. One of his best album tracks ever. Musicology as a whole is quite good in my opinion

tylerc, unnameable and johnoclock like this.
  9. We need all the post-Warner albums in new sleeves.

Hairycub1969, tylerc and johnoclock like this.
  10. They are all so ugly on my shelf side by side.

I really like Musicology. This track especially. I prefer 3121 and Plectrum I think, but it holds up better than Rainbow Children and anything else that followed.

iveivan, Eric Generic and Andy French like this.
  11. Bumping as a result of my weekly Prince album play, this time Emancipation (spread the 3 Discs out among some other albums to avoid fatigue). I've said it before but this really such a strong set of tunes. Of course 30+ tracks is a lot to consume, but the fact that none warrant a skip... he was on a roll. 90's Prince will always feel underrated due to his omnipresence in the 80's, I guess.

Mr. Happy and In This Bed I Scream are a killer closing duo.

I'm surprised no more albums have received the Deluxe treatment since Sign. Was really looking forward to Diamonds & Pearls.

12. I have to disagree on Emancipation. I find it unlistenable. It proves that Warners were right to put some boundaries on his releases. In this case, I don’t know how it could even be trimmed to a decent single disc set. Too many awful cover versions and just as awful original songs.

There’s stuff going on behind the scenes with the Prince estate. He left no will and so everything went to his brothers and sisters. Some of them have sold off their share.

There was another group running the estate and they were behind the previous deluxe releases. The vault of recordings had been moved to better conditions by them and was being restored and painstakingly catalogued.

Those people were all let go and that work has stopped now. It’s not clear what the new plans are, if any.

13. Of course this would happen. It’s not like he was one of the biggest pop stars ever. Let’s dither until things get lost or stolen….

Remorque, tylerc, lob0to and 2 others like this.
  14. Oh isn't Gaga's ex manager handling the estate anymore? He seemed to be doing a good job.

On the subject of Emancipation, I agree that Warners did a good job of getting him to trim down his albums as it is hopelessly bloated but it's also his last ambitious and adventurous album. His next major label releases starting with Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic became increasingly conventional, overproduced and veering into AC easy listening. There's still gems obviously, it's still Prince, but they became a bit too slick and nostalgia-driven to really dig into, they didn't have the grit of his 80s and 90s work. Musicology, 3121 and Art Official Age are very good though.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.