PSB3: Pet Shop Boys rate, 2006-2019. #26 Do you want him to try his Iggy Pop vocal? | Page 24 | The Popjustice Forum

PSB3: Pet Shop Boys rate, 2006-2019. #26 Do you want him to try his Iggy Pop vocal?

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Ray, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What is your favourite section of this rate?

1. Fundamental

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. Yes

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Elysium

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Electric

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  5. Super

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Agenda

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. Others

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. Christmas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. [​IMG]

Cutlery, Ray and WhipperSnapper like this.
  2. Ha ha, no! NO!

Ray likes this.
  3. This is ridiculous. I’m outraged.

4. Enfant Terrible just seems like an attempt at updating The Sound of the Atom Splitting, and fails to even reach those heights (I scored both ‘2’ but I know which of the two I would listen to if the proverbial gun was pointed at my head).

This was when the b-sides/additional tracks started to go very much like it’s related release partner.

blissteria likes this.
  5. Ray

Ray

God Almighty.

[​IMG]

'Pazzo!'
    Super album track
    Average: 4,162857143
    Highest score: 1x9 (@Filler)
    Lowest score: 5x0 (@Ray, @WhipperSnapper, @TrendyMüller, @slurmjunkie, @Sally_Harper)

Neil This came very early on.
    Chris We'd been working on another track called “Monkey business”.
    Neil I went out somewhere and when I came back Chris had done what I thought was a remix of “Monkey business” but it was a new track using the same sounds. And Chris announced it was going to be called “Pazzo!”.
    Chris My Italian friends often used to describe me as pazzo, which means "crazy”. Which is simply not a description of me at all. I think they had a different view of me than I did. It's funny that they would think that I was.
    Neil I know where they're coming from.
    Chris Anyway, they used to use this word all the time: “pazzo”.
    Neil I demanded to be the Italian on the record. Chris wanted to get a real Italian but I was “I can do that”. I think my Italian's quite convincing. Later, another friend of Chris's said, “You should have something to explain what ‘pazzo' is.” So we decided to put in "you're crazy” and “that's insane”. Both me, as well.
    Chris Originally it was just an eight-bar loop...
    Ray I can hear that.
    Chris ...and we thought Stuart could have a go at making it a bit more crazy. To me, it's got elements of Italo to it. Also, for quite a long time we've wanted to do a track which was on one note, no chord change or anything, and this might be the first one that we've done. At one point Stuart wanted to change the bassline, and we were “no, no, the whole point is to stay in E the whole way through”.
    Ray On E.
    Neil I think it's very difficult to do and keep it interesting, and I think we've done that. And I like the driving relentless quality that it has.

Ray This is gross and possibly the worst thing they ever put on an album. I'd give it -1 (or -666) if I could. It's not even b-side worthy. It's not even demo worthy. But it's misleading, because it starts innocently in a shitty Amsterdam club night when everyone's off their tits on ecstasy and can barely hear the music way, and then goes off, and by off I mean off with its head.

@WhipperSnapper (0): I hate Paninaro, and this is its hideous cousin. Another mindless track of filler fluff.
    @Sally_Harper (0): God Almighty.
    @TrendyMüller (0): I just realised that I spent more time thinking about a comment, than PSB actually spent on that whole opus.
    @JakeMagnus (0.5): While slightly better than Electric, this album is much worse than I remembered
    @nanafan (3): This is filler [alanis_ironic.mp3 – Ray], I expect it to be voted out early
    @DominoDancing (4): None of the elements are even remotely memorable here. Fortunately quite brief.
    @OspreyQueen (4): A (not very good) B-side that wandered into the album by mistake. Though I must confess it’s got stuck in my head numerous times so I have to give it a few points.
    @Jóga (4): I’m not entirely convinced this is a serious song in the album. They just needed a hard hitting interlude? It’s not very inspired.
    @nostalgiakills (5): There’s nothing actually wrong with this but I’m here for the songs, guys, not the 1990s house nostalgia. Poppers smell horrible, anyway.
    @Farnaby (5,5): It’s not groundbreaking, but very enjoyable - far more than Relentless for example. The (mostly) instrumentals tracks of Super & Electric are really the biggest surprise of this era.
    @Bleu Noir (6): Nice little banger
    @Midnight City (6.5) Not as good as a song called Pazzo! should be
    @tylerc904 (7.5): Sounds like something off the last Giorgio Moroder album.
    @Filler (9): Exactly as good as 'Paco!' by Ladytron [NO – Ray] [NO, but like SUPER NO – Ray]

6. Ray

Ray

Official announcement: if anybody provided commentary but it doesn't actually appear, please let us know – some people didn't send the PMs both to me and @Future Lover who is in charge of the commentary (a round of applause please, he is doing SO MUCH WORK on this rate behind the scenes, you have no idea).

7. Paco! sweetie I'm so sorry.

8. Ray

Ray

Why does @Filler hate the amazing Ladytron?

You don't have to spend, you just have to pretend!

9. I think the takeaway from this mess should be that Neil is not allowed to leave the studio anymore.

10. Thanks @Future Lover, and props to whoever did the amazingly fitting Pazzo! cover.

WhipperSnapper and Ray like this.
  11. Paco! is leagues better than Pazzo!, just because of:

Riiiiiiiii, soratami and Ray like this.
  12. Ray

Ray

You're welcome!

JakeMagnus likes this.
  13. Pazzo is nothing-y I think I gave it like a 5.5, so forgettable

14. I don´t think the two have ANYTHING in common.
    TSotAP is full on improvisation with lyrics picked from a Derek Jarman film and "live" instruments in an attempt to do an "acid house"-track.
    TfET is totally structured, it has well crafted lyrics and a classic song structure.

15. The joke with Neil leaving the studio is of course that he just went for a pee and in the meantime Chris did what Chris did.

Ray likes this.
  16. I would have given it a 1 if they had called it Cazzo!

DominoDancing, TrendyMüller and Ray like this.
  17. Ray

Ray

I am...tempted to start a discussion, but maybe in a different thread and even a different forum...

18. Absolutely no surprises thus far but I'm a bit sad that Hold On went out so early, I love the mellotron and strings. It has a sort of early 70's soft rock vibe that I just love. Think I gave it an 8.5 actually.

DominoDancing likes this.
  19. [​IMG]

20. We obviously hear things differently, but then that’s the idea of this whole (well, 1/3) idea of this rate.

Ray and TrendyMüller like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.