PSB3: Pet Shop Boys rate, 2006-2019. #29 Do you remember how we used to drill? | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

PSB3: Pet Shop Boys rate, 2006-2019. #29 Do you remember how we used to drill?

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Ray, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What is your favourite section of this rate?

1. Fundamental

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. Yes

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Elysium

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Electric

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  5. Super

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Agenda

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. Others

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. Christmas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ray

Ray

That's half-good and half-bad, half-nemesis. Let's hope you pick the right halves!

WhipperSnapper likes this.
  2. Did you make this @Ray? I haven't seen it before and it's cute.

3. A better track record than either Electric or Super, then.

Ray likes this.
  4. Ray

Ray

No, it was a Christmas e-card (I think, also haven't seen it before).

OspreyQueen likes this.
  5. One of the things that makes me feel #blessed to be a part of this rate is that it forces me to revisit songs I had initially dismissed or overlooked. Sometimes the scorn turns out to have been completely justified, but occasionally I'll uncover a lost gem that was a sin to overlook.

That is happening less frequently with this group of songs, however, than I anticipated.

Future Lover, Ray and TrendyMüller like this.
  6. I have already re-discovered King Of Rome, which is such a lovely, delicate song that sits a bit misplaced between the abysmal Building A Wall and the bopping Pandemonium. The drums and overall mixing/mastering are a bit strange though.

blissteria and WhipperSnapper like this.
  7. This is definitely the most interesting PSB rate as I imagine there will be way more disagreement than the previous rates. There are some awful clunkers in there compared to the imperial days, I am dreading my average for Yes which will be way lower than Elysium and I know my 11 already.

8. Ray

Ray

I am 75% sure what my 11 will be. I suppose I should be glad I only have two to pick from. My zeroes, on the other way, are allocated already and there will be multiple ones. As always, a zero from me means that my teeth spontaneously begin to grind and my skin breaks out in hives when I hear the first seconds of the song.

9. I´ll have to remind myself this time to be more ruthless with my votes. Most of their songs used to be at least in the 4 to 5 range. But with this part I hardly can´t bring myself to hand out 10s. Still no idea what my 11 will be.

10. Ray

Ray

Oh, I have quite some of those too, luckily. Even on Super and Elysium.

11. I will try and get my scores in, my dissertation allowing.

WhipperSnapper and Ray like this.
  12. Ray

Ray

Ow, thanks in advance for the commentary!

13. I did not know this! What was the original order?

I missed the first two rates but I'll probably join for this one. Firstly, it's the era I'm most familiar with having got into PSB around Yes. Secondly, I really feel that, unlike parts one and two, there isn't necessarily a consensus on what people think is the best stuff and that'll make for some very interesting results. Case in point - Ray, I pretty much disagree with everything you have to say about Fundamental!

WhipperSnapper, Ray and Future Lover like this.
  14. Here it is:

God willing
    Minimal
    Sodom & Gomorrah
    I'm with stupid
    Psychological
    I made my excuses and left

Integral
    Numb
    Luna Park
    Casanova in hell
    Twentieth century
    Indefinite leave to remain

Thanks to @Ray for providing this at the end of the 2nd part of the rate.
    To think that they actually made promo CDs with this running order and then decided to have a monkey re-jegging it for the proper release...mess!
    I can only advise to listen to the album in this order. It really is much better this way.

15. ahh see if i can find time x

16. [​IMG]

Let's get this out of the way first - I'm probably not the biggest fan of this album. Not that I particularly hate it, I just think it's buried deep in the lower half of the Boys' albums. It was a bit of a calculated effort to get back on the charts with something a bit poppier, and in collaboration with one of the best-known hit factories since SAW - Xenomania. It seemed like after the dark themes of "Fundamental", they wanted to go into this Technicolor world of "pure pop" they never really belonged to. When I think of PSB, I sense melancholy even under all the major keys, and that's what they always were and still are - the music and lyrics reflect the bittersweet thing that life is. You might get a smirk here or there, but never a grin. And this album was all about grinning.

The Boys might've approached the production powerhouse with very little cynicism attached, maybe with an honest desire to get some killer choons, but Brian Higgins' ego definitely brought the pungent aroma of pure condescension - words such as "heritage act" were thrown around, and in their fanzine no less! But hey, at least the Boys are still around, unlike this long gone production crew. It's notable that the Boys kept working with Tim Powell, a former member of Xenomania, with whom, I presume, they had the best experience overall.

Switching up from their usual duo dynamic, they've collaborated with Xenomania in writing 4 songs, three of which ended up on this album and one on the album of eternal PJ favorites, Girls Aloud. The songs are "Love etc.", "More than a dream", "The way it used to be" and "The loving kind". Now, it would be easy for me to shade this collaboration if the results weren't so fantastic. I might not personally like "More than a dream" thaaat much, but the other three are each stellar in their own way. In particular, "The way it used to be" seems to hit right in the sweet spot where their best singles used to come from, and it's a damn shame it never was one. Xenomania also helped out with the production on the rest of the tracks.

Now for some other brilliant moments - the shameless Tchaikovsky rip-off known as "All over the world" is moronic in the best way, as they'd describe it - shallow enough to work as a pop hit, arch enough to make you chuckle; the knowing nod to "Rent" in the French-inspired "Vulnerable" gives a beat to a conflicted person's desire to reveal their true self; another French bit in "Legacy" that pushed the ridiculousness to the max (cringe lyrics are sprinkled throughout as well); the boptasticness of "Pandemonium", a bit too sickly sweet for me; finally, the strange solace in "King of Rome", which ends with one of their most beautiful couplets of yearning.

This was probably the first PSB album I ever listened to - or should I say, stopped listening to after track 2. My tastes were still underdeveloped, as you can tell. But it most probably meant I never cared, and never will care, for "Beautiful people." But what I did know was that "Love etc." was an amazing first single, and I bopped to it like crazy 10 years ago. Now, I never heard the second single until I became a proper fan years later... and maybe for the best, since the unimpressive "Did you see me coming?" is still one of their most basic tracks they've ever made an official single.
    If I had the power to pick this singles run, it probably would've went something like this:

Love etc.
    The way it used to be
    Vulnerable
    All over the world/Christmas etc.

But hey, dreams are for suckers, right? Worthy of mention is the bonus deluxe disc "Yes etc." that contains several excellent dub versions and "This used to be future" - still a great purchase for the dubs only, even after the release of the "Further listening" discs. This was a small window inside this era - I will try and find some great interviews and tidbits to post this week.

Future Lover's score : 6.7/10

Here's the brilliant Brits Medley:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  17. Wait, "Yes" is the most popular album in the poll thingy?! Well color me shocked.

Jóga and WhipperSnapper like this.
  18. Ray

Ray

I'm more surprised at LIDL having three votes! Yes is very inoffensive. And has their best single ever.

slurmjunkie likes this.
  19. Yes, Yes is a strange one.
    I liked it quite a bit when it came out. A breath of (pop)-life after the mostly somber Fundamental. But upon recent listening I noticed that I only listened to a handful of its songs and ignored about a half of the whole album. The single choices -apart from Love, etc- where horrible and baffling. And I noticed that quite a lot of songs are void of ideas and suffer from half-assed production. Quite a bit seems unfinished and undercooked. We (I) surely get into that during the reveals.

Funnily enough, I scored the album yesterday morning and wrote in my comments that Vulnerable should have been given the full French-magic-treatment a la Voyage Voyage/Moi Lolita only to read later that @Future Lover had a similar idea.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.