PSB3: Pet Shop Boys rate, 2006-2019. #32 STOMPING SUICIDE WALTZ BONANZA | Page 41 | The Popjustice Forum

PSB3: Pet Shop Boys rate, 2006-2019. #32 STOMPING SUICIDE WALTZ BONANZA

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Ray, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What is your favourite section of this rate?

1. Fundamental

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. Yes

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Elysium

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Electric

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  5. Super

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Agenda

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. Others

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. Christmas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Well heads up people, I still have a few 0’s left in (and low scores) one of which I know is going to be highly controversial

WhipperSnapper likes this.
  2. Ray

Ray

We're getting close to the point where I will be losing 10s left right and centre, and I didn't hand out that many.

3. I lost my first 10 (of very few) with the second outing! But I appreciate your gorgeous artwork!

Ray likes this.
  4. Ray

Ray

Aww thank you for this spontaneous declaration I didn't ask for at all!

What's next? *checks* Oh. That artwork might be a tad less gorgeous.

5. Isn't it about time to get rid of A Cloud In A Box and The White Dress?

6. Ray

Ray

Fine but forgettable

Love this boppery

[​IMG]

'A cloud in a box'
    B-side to 'Say it to me'
    Average: 5,383
    Highest score: 3x9 (@Riiiiiiiii, @WhipperSnapper, @OspreyQueen)
    Lowest score: 1x1 (@JakeMagnus)

Neil 'A cloud in a box' is a sort of weird trance song, and then in the middle I had the idea for a poem, so I read the poem out, and then the track carries on. It's sort of psychedelic. I have no idea why the poem came into my head, though I suppose I was interested in the idea of taking something like a cloud that's not permanent and making it permanent. And then, as the schoolgirl says, it's rather sad then to see it sort of trapped, this cloud: it should be dissipating in the sky but it's been trapped in this box by a magician. I could imagine this having an animated video in the style of Yellow Submarine.

Ray This is so random. It sounds a bit like a discarded Faithless track from the 'Insomnia' period that Rollo never bothered finishing. Then Neil comes in and it feels like 'see? we didn't just record a shitty demo, it's a song, it has a lyric and everything'. It baffles me. But it still manages to be better than a few Super tracks. Not that it's a big feat.

@nostalgiakills (5): Fine but forgettable. Hard to know what else to say, really - there’s not much to it.
    @WhipperSnapper (9): Chris goes crazy with those old school synth pads and it works. Neil clearly is prepping for his book of lyrics and poetry here. A very strange one indeed but I love it.
    @DominoDancing (5.5): I like the production here, but it's not much of a song, especially as Neil's spoken word part is just slapped into the middle of it without any connection to the music surrounding it.
    @nanafan (4): I like the music but Neil’s vocal isn’t necessary on this. I’d rate higher as an instrumental
    @TrendyMüller (5.6): Most of their instrumental tracks get a default 5 from me. If they´re trance, I might deduct one point. So this score is earned by Neil´s „fluffy white mist“.
    @JakeMagnus (1): No thanks
    @Jóga (8): They must miss the rave days.
    @tylerc904 (6): They really like the 85% instrumental b-sides this phase of their career, don’t they?
    @westendgirl (5): The lyrics are beautiful, but the music …. could have been a Faithless track
    @Sally_Harper (5) When Neil started singing it scared the shit out of me the first time I heard it, as by the time he actually turned up I’d assumed it was just going to be an instrumental track.
    @Bleu Noir (7): Love this boppery, Marc Almond should cover it

7. Ugh, heathens! This is top 65 at least!

I might have over-scored this a tad, most likely because it was inspired by air travel which I love so much. Neil really is a poet at heart.

Ray likes this.
  8. You mean top 20. There! I said it.

Why are we kicking out all the atypical Pet Shop Songs?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    WhipperSnapper and blissteria like this.
  9. So that the sub-par, by-the-number-ones can all stick around.

10. Ray

Ray

You just answered your own question.

Thrilled to announce the winner is 'West End girls (Sasha remix)'!

11. Only slightly surprised there hasn't been an album called "Atypical Pet Shop Boys" yet.

You know it'll happen eventually.

Querelle Mix and Ray like this.
  12. Ray

Ray

I do not approve of the next two eliminations. You (collective you) have FAILED me. I'm losing two 10s.

13. We can always make a Spotify list of our own!

Auntie Beryl likes this.
  14. Ray

Ray

So The Killers did Glasto and...

The band left the stage before their encore and Jimmy Carr walked across the stage, sweeping the floor.

And then - now I really didn't expect this special guest - The Killers returned with... The Pet Shop Boys.

After a cover of You Were Always on My Mind and a version of Human, the band then brought on Johnny Marr and they raced through a cover of This Charming Man going into crowd favourite Mr Brightside.

15. I tried the entire iPlayer fuckery which doesn't work from Serbia, can't really watch the performances. If anyone finds them in full, do post!

DominoDancing likes this.
  16. Spooky...

You took the words right out of my mouth. Once again, I also have to remind you all of the broken promise they made in 2003 (when Chris commented on their extended mix of 'Here'): "This will be the last house-y trance-y thing we ever do. [laughs] Because we now hate house music. And we'll never do trance ever again. The future is clear." It's a shame. I gave 'A cloud in a box' 3 points. There are indeed a couple of worse tracks (and one I gave the same score) on the album.

Exactly. The lyrics themselves are interesting, but the whole thing feels so disconnected to the rest. In contrast to 'The white dress' (which I hope doesn't leave too soon), where the vocals fit the music perfectly.

westendgirl and DominoDancing like this.
  17. Ray

Ray

Feels like they’re having fun (score: 4)

They’re having a bit of fun (score: 8)

[​IMG]

'Entschuldigung!'
    B-side to 'Love is a bourgeois contract'
    Average: 5,394
    Highest score: 1x10 (@Ray)
    Lowest score: 3x0 (@VivaForever, @JakeMagnus, @Sally_Harper)

Neil While walking around Berlin one day I was chanting to myself the line, 'Ich nicht sprechen Deutsch! / Ich nicht sprechen Deutsch!/I said', which is pidgin German for 'I don't speak German'. Of course I don't speak German so it was truthful. The person in the song is apologising for the fact that he doesn't speak German, and what he has said is incorrect German – that's the point. It's meant to be a chant. It's meant to be funny, to be honest.
    Chris It should be 'Ich spreche kein Deutsch', I think.
    Neil You should know. You've got German O-level.
    Chris Yes, but how long ago was that? I was 16!
    Chris Heath Whatever the exact correctness or incorrectness of what Neil was saying to himself, this lead to 'Entschuldigung!'.
    Chris Which means 'excuse me'.
    Neil I think it can mean 'sorry' too. If you bumped into someone on the underground you might say 'Entschuldigung'?
    Chris I'm always too embarrassed to say 'Entschuldigung' in German because it's such a long word.
    Neil We keep thinking about making an album of Schlager songs in German and it would be called Pet Shop Boys Entschuldigung.
    Ray Don't.
    Chris The music for this was called 'Impact date' at one point, but I think it actually started off as another project. Maybe it was for the Turing project.
    Neil As ever with funny songs, there's a kind of pathos in the music. It's the man from 'Love is a bourgeois construct' moved to Germany.

Ray I love this and can't believe how badly you all treated it. Du hassten kein Sensum der Humor. I love how he botches it – 'eek nyekt spreek-oom Doysch'. Weirdly enough the vocals on this – well, the one sentence on this – are mixed way better than its a-side. (Not that it's difficult. 'Love is a bourgeois construct' was clearly mixed on iPhone 4S speakers while Chris was inspiring.) The production is great – this wouldn't be out of place on Electric at all (especially if it replaced 'Shouting in the evening'). Those little 'ah-ah' vocal flourishes, layers of synths that really strike on good headphones... There is so much happening in this track. It's like with 'Absolutely Fabulous' – it's much better than the fans apparently think it is.

@nostalgiakills (4): Kind of amusing, but nothing you’d rush to put on. Feels like they’re having fun, and returning to several beloved touchstones, but it doesn’t hang together as something I’d feel like returning to very often.
    @WhipperSnapper (8): They’re having a bit of fun, and I’m along for the ride. Neil should really just stick to English.
    @DominoDancing (5): Hmmm. I guess as a German I should particularly enjoy this, but musically I just don't find this memorable at all.
    @nanafan (2): I expected more from a track with this title. Just a bit dull really
    @TrendyMüller (2): Entschuldigung, we just didn´t give a fuck.
    @JakeMagnus (0): Not here for this
    @Jóga (9): I was beginning to lose my faith in the Boys and I was going to say @Ray the order in this is diabolical, then realised it’s chronological, but this is properly amazing. I’d like some MDMA and a dance floor, please.
    @tylerc904 (6.5): This is better than I remember it being.
    @Midnight City (8.5): I already gave this at least 7 for the title alone. Then realised it was quite brilliant in its own way
    @Sally_Harper (0): I just… why?
    @Filler (9): I miss this Lady Gaga [Der Snört – Ray]
    @Bleu Noir (5): Very Chris, better than the A-Side [...to you! - Future Lover]
    @Farnaby (9): A little shorter it would have been a ten (there are one or two flat sections). Wonderful nonetheless.

The rate is taking a technical break tomorrow, because I am either having a surprise plastic surgery (still the same one, I lost count of how many times it was botched) or not. The receptionist used the word 'Entschuldigung!' 'appointment', so I am either being surgimacated or just having a doctor look and say 'oh'.

18. [​IMG]

Future Lover likes this.
  19. Ray

Ray

Hi Chris!

Sally_Harper and VivaForever like this.
  20. I was in such shambles lately that I just got a look at the final Top 20, and OH MY. It's truly a shocking one, at least for me. Some tracks you'd never expect there! You truly are a weird lot.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.