PSB3: Pet Shop Boys rate, 2006-2019. #32 STOMPING SUICIDE WALTZ BONANZA | Page 42 | The Popjustice Forum

PSB3: Pet Shop Boys rate, 2006-2019. #32 STOMPING SUICIDE WALTZ BONANZA

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Ray, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What is your favourite section of this rate?

1. Fundamental

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. Yes

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Elysium

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Electric

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  5. Super

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Agenda

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. Others

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. Christmas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Good luck with whatever ends up happening tomorrow @Ray ! Sorry I hated one of your 10s.

Ray and WhipperSnapper like this.
  2. I can't wait to find out*

In January, 2023

3. That´s rich coming from someone who refuses to see the humour in Enfant Terrible and Party Song!

I think that their production style and the whole Pet Shop Boys-shtick doesn´t work so well with banging techno. It just isn´t them! Tracks in this style always appear terribly forced and trying. (But it has to be said that the production is better than half of Electric.
    I also think that it´s a very lazy attempt at humour. Like having a botched German sentence and doing it in a harsh, robotic style has never been done before.
    But hey, I´m German, what do I know about the subject?!

@Ray I hope your Beschneidung surgery goes well.

And if they do a Schlager album it probably has In His Imagination in German on it.

Riiiiiiiii and DominoDancing like this.
  4. Hey hey Ray, good luck tomorrow!

5. Ray

Ray

You've got the artwork, @Future Lover has the spreadsheet and comments, I can hand it over.

WhipperSnapper likes this.

6. All teasing aside, You are integral to the project. Also, if Gunnar persevered through all that, you can hang on for this! animatedkiss.gif

DominoDancing likes this.
  7. Once again, I agree with everything you wrote. I almost gave it a 10 as well and then settled for 9 because of a few repetitive sections. As I've written before, this (and 'Get it online') would have been a perfect fit for Electric whereas the very by-the-numbers 'The last to die' sounds totally out of place on that album (and should have been the next song to leave from this era).

The artwork for this is brilliant (other favourites so far include 'Ego music' and 'I cried for us'), @Ray. And I wish you all the best for your appointment.

Ray, Future Lover and WhipperSnapper like this.
  8. Ray

Ray

It got postponed again, so now the dates were July 29, July 1, and July 30. This is what happens when I try to make plans! But that also means you WILL get #79 today, even if I disagree wholeheartedly and really should update the spreadsheet a bit.

9. Ray

Ray

some pleasing nods to Kraftwerk

A bit too kraftwerk for my tastes

[​IMG]

'The white dress'
    B-side to 'Twenty-something'
    Average: 5,45416
    Highest score: 1x10 (@Ray)
    Lowest score: 1x1 (@VivaForever, my half-nemesis strikes AGAIN)

Neil It was in consideration for the album, briefly. There's quite a few moody tracks that go with this album, and this is one of them. [It was a] track Chris started in December: 'Mood'. I had the 'I see you wore that white dress' lyric idea for it. It's a very ambient song. It goes: 'I see you wore the white dress/ the right dress to impress/photographers and media/ with issues to address'. It's rather nice. It'll turn up probably as a b-side.
    Ray And there we were all of a sudden.

Ray I adore this. The little soft synth playing the riff makes it for me. The lovely thing about it is that it sounds like a ballad, yet is actually uptempo. Again, tiny little flourishes in the production, that quiet looped drum'n'bass lite hihat sound, the Donna Summer synth, the PSB string pad that sounds...like Pet Shop Boys, what can I say. I bet the only reason why 'Evil Polka' is still in the running is that it was a single that wasn't 'Winner'.

@nostalgiakills (6): Pleasant enough, with some pleasing nods to Kraftwerk - if someone told you this was a remix of something from Tour De France Soundtracks you wouldn’t bat an eyelid (at least until the vocals come in). Rather lovely - if anything, it’s over far too soon.
    @WhipperSnapper (6): Mysterious and Teutonic, this was clearly influenced by their time in Berlin.
    @DominoDancing (5.5): Nice enough, but - probably because Neil comes in so late and has such a small part - it feels more like a song fragment than a completed piece.
    @nanafan (2): A bit too kraftwerk for my tastes
    @TrendyMüller (5.1): Nice-ish but quite forgettable.
    @JakeMagnus (2): Too long and too weird
    @tylerc904 (6.5): I really, really wish the vocal bit was repeated at least twice but oh well.
    @westendgirl (6.5): the music is cool, but I’m not keen on the lyrics – if this is for a certain person, I guess they could have written a letter….
    @Bleu Noir (2): Inconsequential
    @Farnaby (8,5): Wow. Moody, deep, sombre.

10. Well, this is going well.

11. Ray

Ray

us_president_WRONG.gif

Future Lover likes this.
  12. My comment and my score don't really match, should they? But then, I see a score of 5 as being "average", so this is "above average" without being great.

WhipperSnapper and Ray like this.
  13. Very sad about this leaving, and I feel like I've underscored it. Let's just blurt out "Kraftwerk" again, it's no insult. Really really good instrumental.
    As for the lyrics, and forgive me if this might be a bit weird, but I think I somehow imagined it's about Caitlyn Jenner - a famous trans woman finally owning up to her truth and showing the media her true self, kind of like the Vanity Fair cover she did. I know she's super-problematic even after going through all of that, but it's such a short and moving lyric. Please don't judge me if this sounds super dumb.

14. Ray

Ray

Love this! I never really thought about the lyric to this, I get lost in those gentle soundscapes.

What do you wear when you need to impress?

15. I think it´s a bit too slight and especially much too pre-setty to warrant any Krafttwerk comparisons.

16. Wow! I thought I had given The White Dress a 10.

17. Ray

Ray

Checked both in the PM and the spreadsheet – still 8.

18. I bumped this from an 8 to a 7 when I read what it was (probably) about. Not convinced "our mate looked dead nice at the premiere of Fifty Shades of Grey" is really a subject matter fit for an atmospheric soundscape.

slurmjunkie and WhipperSnapper like this.
  19. Ray

Ray

Welp, then you scored Geowayne -1.

WhipperSnapper likes this.
  20. Ray

Ray

Hell, hello, I'm the lowest scorer for once.

[​IMG]

'In bits'
    B-side to 'The pop kids'
    Average: 5,49305
    Highest score: 2x9 (@Filler, @Farnaby)
    Lowest score: 1x1,5 (@Ray)

Neil Stuart always liked this song, and he originally wanted to have this on the album. Initially it just came from the fact that I think it's slightly funny that people say, 'Oooh, I'm in bits'. It sounds a bit camp to me. Really they're upset about something, but making a very demonstrative declaration that they're upset which probably therefore sounds slightly insincere to me. But in the song I think it is being sincere – it's a guy having had a massive argument in which his partner has completely demolished him, and so he's feeling utterly worthless. It's, in its own way, quite a dark song.

Ray Yes, it's a dark time in your history. It's not a song, it's a loop over which Neil pumps out all the worst rhyming clichés. It belongs on the inevitable Subpar Further Listening: Unreleased demoes CD. I can't pretend I have much to say about this one, but then Neil doesn't either.

@nostalgiakills (3): Torn from the pages of a rhyming dictionary [YES – Ray] and saddled with a melody that could be charitably described as “undernourished”, this is one of the Boys’ least essential b-sides, and speaks to a wider problem with the era’s lack of great songs. Still, you can’t be inspired everyday.
    @WhipperSnapper (7): Melancholy rhymes with a hint of Robert Miles. [Second album Robert Miles, and no, this is not a compliment – Ray]
    @DominoDancing (6.5): Starts with a pretty, melancholic synth and vocal line...that then gets repeated over and over again for three and a half minutes. Surely they could have build something more interesting from it.
    @nanafan (4): Don’t mind this but doesn’t really go anywhere
    @TrendyMüller (5.4): Queue tit-jokes.
    @JakeMagnus (7): Pretty good
    @Jóga (7): Repetitive, but good.
    @tylerc904 (6): A bit hollow but you can nod along pleasantly no problem.
    @westendgirl (5): a bit boring [see what you did there - FL]
    @Bleu Noir (4): Directionless
    @Farnaby (9): These piano notes, this beat, those chords, a little theremin-synth and Tennant’s melancholic voice : I don’t need more.

The 'Others' section gets some rest tomorrow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.