PSB3: Pet Shop Boys rate, 2006-2019. #59 Madness, but not the right sort of Madness | Page 50 | The Popjustice Forum

PSB3: Pet Shop Boys rate, 2006-2019. #59 Madness, but not the right sort of Madness

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Ray, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What is your favourite section of this rate?

1. Fundamental

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. Yes

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Elysium

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Electric

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  5. Super

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Agenda

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. Others

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. Christmas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Breathing Space is THE ONE. The other one (which I terribly overscored with my 0.5) is a good companion piece.

2. I still love you!
    (our love in aspic).

slurmjunkie likes this.
  3. Numb isn't even my least fav from the album hello Luna Park

4. Whelp. Neither of those songs deserved to leave quite so soon. I wonder how much of this is due to the general "Elysium is terrible" attitude that pervades fan circles?

Wow. I'm shook - again. This rate is forcing me to question my preconceptions, that's for sure.

westendgirl and slurmjunkie like this.
  5. GET OUT

6. Ray

Ray

[​IMG]

7. Well..............I'm 19. I don't remember all the exact details but I know I heard West End Girls on a compilation and liked it, and around the same time Invisible was one of Amazon's free singles so I had a listen and liked it too. Then Elysium was on sale so I decided to take a chance on it and...I liked enough of it to continue being intrigued (though now I've heard everything else in their discography I see how subpar it is), so then I got Ultimate and loved it...and so on and so forth.

8. Ray

Ray

I don't know why this makes me so happy, but it does. :) this emoji is staying.

9. 'Everything means something' is a 7 from me. Great atmospheric instrumental! Certainly not a 30-places-higher-than-'A powerful friend'-great atmospheric instrumental, but still.

The actual song couldn't be more of a drag. Comically laboured transcript of an incredibly boring argument. "IIIIIIIIII saiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid...................... reeaaalllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy......................................." Cut the vocal out and it's probably an 8.

Ray and Future Lover like this.
  10. I hate that line so much.

Cutlery and Ray like this.
  11. Ray

Ray

Will Fundamental finally lose a track today? Tune in later to find out!

(Agenda will not lose a track today. Not that I tempered with the scores or anything.)

Sally_Harper and WhipperSnapper like this.
  12. Ah shit fam I forgot we were doing this lol Coming right up!
    P.S. Fucken capitalism

Sally_Harper, Ray and WhipperSnapper like this.
  13. Ray

Ray

Did I see this coming?

No.

Was I that oblivious?

Yes.

[​IMG]

'Love life'
    Record Store Day release/demo for Alcazar
    Average: 5,8861
    Highest score: 2x9 (@Scoundrel_Days, @SmashHitter)
    Lowest score: 1x2 (@blissteria)

Neil This was remixed when we put it out for Record Store Day in 2010. At the time we wrote it we didn't release our version, but we gave the song to Alcazar and they had a top ten record in Sweden with it. We thought it was too poppy for us. Originally it was called 'Can I be the one?' We were working on the idea: 'What would it be like if we were S Club 7?' In the song, someone is putting a lonely heart's advert in the paper, so 'May I be the one to share your love life?' is the headline from his lonely heart's advert. There was an unfinished version of this at one point where I speak the personal ad, saying something like 'l like a walk in the country...maybe a glass of Chardonnay...'

Ray I am quite surprised at this leaving so early, because it looks like the cuts so far are mostly either proper crap ('Winner' etc.), or experimental tracks, or the uber-pop ones, like this. I really thought this would be at least top 40. I think it's a really good song and for once it doesn't actually sound like a demo. I wonder whether Neil is aware that Alcazar have the 'Chardonnay' bit in their version or is it another 'we've never written songs for Ant & Dec' situation? The only weak bit is literally one bit of vocals – which came out much better in the Alcazar version – 'you must admit' which in Alcazar's version is 'you must admi-it' and somehow this makes a difference for me.

@nostalgiakills (6): Falls between two stools. It tries to capture the feeling of Chic (and the endless deluge of dance tracks that sampled them in the early 2000s) but doesn’t quite get there. The Alcazar version is better, but in truth it’s not a strong enough song to get a higher mark than this.
    @WhipperSnapper (5): Did they write this for Alcazar? The demo is fine, if reductive.
    @VivaForever (4.5): Marginally better than the Alcazar version, but still not one of their better efforts.
    @DominoDancing (7.5): Beautiful, but like most of their demos for other artists this suffers from not being as fleshed-out and well-produced as the final results. THAT SAID I like Neil's voice with this melody quite well.
    @OspreyQueen (4): You know you’ve fucked up when ALCAZAR’S version of your song sounds less cheap.
    @nanafan (8): This is really good. I have the 7” and glad we got it on CD eventually
    @TrendyMüller (8): Hooray for that Gibson Brothers-sample. Camp done right!
    @JakeMagnus (4): A bit boring
    @Jóga (7): Nothing special, but good enough. The vocals sort of remind me of a lower Before.
    @westendgirl (5): too simple
    @Midnight City (5.5): Not the most sophisticated tracks, but has its charms
    @etcetera (5): It’s a pity that the chorus is so weak.
    @Bleu Noir (6): Alcazar version is far superior though
    @Farnaby (3): The boys were right at the beginning : the track is rubbish.

Alcazar:

Three more songs before we reach 6+ average.

14. I feel sad that the spoken bit wasn't in the finished song. A PSB demo containing it IS out there, though!

Riiiiiiiii, WhipperSnapper and Ray like this.
  15. I've never liked the "film or play / glass of chardonnay" bit.

It's curious that whenever we get a song written for someone else my comment is "did they write this for X?" even when the title is Song (Demo for X). Clearly, I'm no longer 19 like my spirit grandchild @OspreyQueen

Ray, Future Lover and OspreyQueen like this.
  16. Yes, this is a bit unfinished and with a bit (a lot) of work it could be a song for the disco in heaven. More and lusher strings, more glitter and a bit more oopmph were needed. As it is the whole thing relies on the sample, which is all sorts of amazing and very Alcazar.
    I toyed with that sample in the early 90s but never really got it to work.
    For those who don´t know what disco-grampa is talking about (amazing video!):

17. Ray

Ray

a highly edifying bonus

Like a Motorway it ain’t

[​IMG]

'Blue on blue'
    B-side to 'Minimal'
    Average: 5,9083
    Highest score: 1x10 (@Sweet Music)
    Lowest score: 1x1 (@Ray)

Chris This is a good one.
    Neil I think it's a bit Bowie-esque, this song. The middle bit particularly. It's a bit rock 'n' roll as well. The phrase 'blue on blue' comes from the Iraq war-it's basically friendly fire, killing someone on your own side. But in this song it doesn't mean that. It's just about being at the seaside with your lover. The blue of the sky and the blue of the sea. And the metaphor is that two unhappy – i.e. blue – people together can make each other happy.

Ray I agree with Farnaby. This 'dark synth' sound has only worked for me once, and not in this song. It's Pet Shop Boys Doing Some Random Band Doing Pet Shop Boys again. It sounds like a quick demo of 'For your own good' to me. I was actually surprised to see myself being its lowest scorer, because... I guess I don't get it? Go on, try and sing 'For your own good' on top of this... I just find myself wanting to play the, ahem, original. For your own blue, blue me tonight!

@nostalgiakills (7): Just what you want from a b-side - it does something that wouldn’t fit on an album but makes for a highly edifying bonus for the faithful. As I’m 1000 years old I can still imagine this being the flip side of a 7” single, and it wouldn’t have disappointed as a contrast to its a-side.
    @WhipperSnapper (7): All kinds of amazing for a B-side. A lusty dawn in Ibiza!
    @DominoDancing (6.5): I generally enjoy these kinda minimalist, electro-clashy tracks, but this doesn't have much meat on its bones. Enjoyable as a b-side though.
    @OspreyQueen (4): This always makes me reach for the migraine tablets.
    @nanafan (5): Not a bad B side. Better than most Of Release
    @TrendyMüller (7.5): Bobby O. bassline scores 7 points alone. I like the slightly menacing mood. The Moog-swooshes are a bit cliché.
    @JakeMagnus (7): Even the lesser Fundamental b-sides are great
    @Jóga (6): It feels like it’s building up to a smashing chorus and then you get that... [Yes – Ray] Like a Motorway it ain’t
    @Midnight City (4.5): A bit relentlessly harsh to listen to at certain points
    @Sally_Harper (7) Gets a bit weird in the middle but I like the rest.
    @Bleu Noir (4): Very generic electro tune
    @Farnaby (4): I don’t like this « dark synth » sound the Boys seemed to love at the time. So when the song is just ok, the result is... skippable.

An album track coming tomorrow, one from their self-aware product range.

18. Ray

Ray

I see this one caused a lot of excitement...

19. Listening to this again...I overscored this a bit. Neils vocals sound quite shoddy and thin. Almost a precusor of what was to come. I also had no idea how it went, when I read this post and had to listen to it again. Even my own comment didn´t remind me of the actual song...just a Bobby O-bassline and a lot of swooshy sounds.

So a self-aware-y song is leaving us? I predict some stuff.

Ray likes this.
  20. Ray

Ray

It will make its excuses before it's leaving.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.