PSB3: Pet Shop Boys rate, 2006-2019. #86 I bop to this one hesitantly | Page 26 | The Popjustice Forum

PSB3: Pet Shop Boys rate, 2006-2019. #86 I bop to this one hesitantly

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Ray, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What is your favourite section of this rate?

1. Fundamental

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  2. Yes

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. Elysium

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. Electric

12 vote(s)
    24.0%
  5. Super

3 vote(s)
    6.0%
  6. Agenda

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  7. Others

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. Christmas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. That's so true. I believe that the seed for 'Winner' was sown when they watched that awful TV montage of England losing the World Cup with the edited 'Numb' as a soundtrack (see FL commentary for the effect it had on them). First, it inspired them to release 'Numb' as a single, then (even though it failed) they thought they'd have a go at a song for winners instead of losers for a change to raise their profile during the Olympics. The only good thing about this whole debacle is that 'Winner' flopped, too. If the media and public had actually adopted this as a ubiquitous anthem, we would probably have been confronted with lots of 'Winner' clones from PSB by now in an attempt to recapture some of that success (similar to all the 'Go West' clones they released during the 90s).

This really reveals what their true intention was and how disappointed they were that it didn't work out as planned.

This is just rationalising their commercial failure (and trying to make the song look more sophisticated than it is) after the fact. By the way, they did indirectly reference 'We Are The Champions' by incorporating the same rhythm as its flipside 'We Will Rock You'.

Yes, it is better than 'Hold On' because at least the melody of the verse is okay and the melody of the bridge is actually quite nice. But I couldn't give this more than a zero because the chorus, the key change and everything surrounding its release is irredeemable. Also, 'Leaving' was originally destined to be the first proper single release from Elysium.

I feel the same.

I heard some fans raving about this remix at the time, stating that it saved the song. So I had high expectations, especially since the Pink Noise remix of 'Se a vida é' really improves that song by replacing its hamfisted cheerfulness with graceful melancholy. I couldn't have been more disappointed: the minimal backing track doesn't really fit and just exposes the faults of the cheesy vocals even more. Even the verses and the bridge sound utterly forced now.

Eric Generic, WhipperSnapper and Ray like this.
  2. It's not that usual to see a rate dedicated to just one act with so many low scores and such low averages. I guess PSB fans are especially critical.

3. I don‘t like the studio version of the remix at all, but the live version had some questionable vocals as well. The whole album release show soured me on the album before it was even released.

Ray and slurmjunkie like this.
  4. Ray

Ray

I was purposefully (very PSB word) encouraging people to use the entire range of scores - inspired by @VivaForever - but my zeroes are 100% honest. There are both amazing highs and incredible lows in this part.

Why would anybody score 'Party song' higher than 0 anyway? Can't wait for it to leave.

5. The median score is 6.54, so I think the Boys did well for themselves. You would never believe which song is #51 with that exact score! Just missing out of Top 50. It's a total fave!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  6. I don’t think I’m especially critical despite my 7 or 8 zeros. It’s just that my favourite pop act (with Saint Etienne and Kylie) is, like Saint Etienne and Kylie, very productive and likes to try new, bizarre and sometimes bad things. A pop song is just a pop song and sometimes, on a b-side or as the lead single of an album, they release a crappy pop song for some reason (to experiment, to take the piss, to have fun, to try to have a hit...). But I don’t mind. It’s okay to release from time to time an atrocity like Party Song or Celebration. I’d even say it’s healthy... as long as they still give us sublime moments like Leaving or Vocal or Shelby 68. And amazingly they still do. In 2019. 30 or 35 years after the first 7 inches. So praise PSB (and their 3% horrendous songs) !

7. Ray

Ray

Also, I have certain expectations towards PSB that I wouldn't have towards, dunno, U2.

8. Ray

Ray

The next elimination shall arrive tomorrow evening due to technical difficulties, also known as my brain being completely boiled, and having to prepare to fly abroad with a one-hour layover – neither in Brussels, Bonn, nor Barcelona. But if you see me at the Frankfurt airport please don't come to say hello, because I'll be busy DYING of anxiety.

9. Twentysomething confirmed for #1 after recount.

etienne, Riiiiiiiii and Ray like this.
  10. Here´s my new persona for the rate:
    [​IMG]

11. Ray

Ray

What is this song? Who are these people? Where am I?

[​IMG]

'A powerful friend'

Record Store Day 7" exclusive
    Average: 4,845714286
    Highest score: 1x9 (@Farnaby)
    Lowest score: 3x1 (@Bleu Noir, @WhipperSnapper, @Hurricane Drunk)

Neil This is fairly like the version we did in 1983 at Ray Roberts' studio on the same day we wrote 'If looks could kill', though it's a bit neater. The first verse was written in 1983- there was only one verse then and the rest of the lyrics were written for this version. I like 'a nicotine gleam'. The music is basically rock 'n' roll. It's about a sort of kept boy whose got a powerful friend. A politician, maybe.
    Chris In the middle it sounds a bit like 'The Monster Mash'. It sounds like we're live from Dingwalls.
    Neil When we recorded 'If looks could kill' and "I'm in love with a married man' for Disco 3, we also recorded 'A powerful friend' again [Release CD3 track 4], but for some reason we did a completely different version of it which we then didn't put on Disco 3 because we didn't think it worked. It was then not released until it came out on the Record Store Day single as the B-side of 'Love life'
    Chris It is completely different.
    Neil Much bleaker-sounding.
    Chris Quite good, though.

Ray No, Chris, it isn't. (Discovering that all the worst tracks so far were Chris's ideas is...painful.) The Peel Session version was an electro stomper of the highest calibre – still not a great song, but the Sonic Meets Atari 800XL sound was...powerful. This one sounds like 'A limp friend', really. A part of why I scored this 2 is the disappointment – they took a really fun track and removed everything that was fun about it. 'Bleaker' is how I felt when I heard it, I'll give them that.

@nostalgiakills (6): This sounds like something from Suede’s Head Music, which, considering it was written over a decade before, isn’t bad going. Far from my favourite PSB song, it’s refreshing if only because it’s so different from their other work.
    @WhipperSnapper (1): Two guitarists? What is this song? Who are these people? Where am I?
    @DominoDancing (7): Outside of the novelty of a PSB song with hard rock guitars, this suffers from never really going anywhere - it just goes on and then peters out at the end. Which is a shame, as the atmosphere is quite intense.
    @OspreyQueen (6.5): Some nice ingredients in here (particularly that rousing guitar, damn) but overall the song is a bit of a dirge.
    @nanafan (4): An unusual style but a solid track
    @TrendyMüller (6): Strange but I (lowkey) like it. [Very low – Ray]
    @JakeMagnus (7.5): A great discovery from the last batch of Further Listenings
    @Jóga (6): A bit boring, gets an extra point for the guitars.
    @Midnight City (4): Struggled to get to the end
    @Bleu Noir (1): Pure drudgery
    @Farnaby (9): Splendid song, splendid sound.

VASTLY superior Peel Session version:

(Oh boy, I loved that Peel Session so much, even though they felt compelled to force 'London' into it...)

The next reveal coming tomorrow if I survive my flight and layover and flight and thunderstorms and hail and hellfire and whatever else the weather is going to throw our way. Wish me luck. Then you'll be wishing @Future Lover luck soon afterwards, but that's his story to tell.

12. That is a surprisingly early elimination especially considering the comments which don‘t seem too harsh. I‘m bracing for more upsetting results.

slurmjunkie likes this.
  13. Ray

Ray

The average is almost 5 by now, it's not too bad. And only one more song has an average below 5 – 4,88.

14. That‘s an easy guess then. ‚Single from Super‘ incoming.

15. Ray

Ray

4,88-something, todeloo
    Happy listeners – rather few

16. Some of my lowest scores are still in the game. Controversy ahead, unless our globe-hopping moderators get diverted to Moldova...

JakeMagnus and Future Lover like this.
  17. Ray

Ray

My plane has a delay of one hour with a layover of one hour... So... I'm sure Moldova is lovely.

WhipperSnapper and Future Lover like this.
  18. Why didn't you score the Peel Session version then? That's what I did as I thought we were supposed to rate the version we like best. After all, you rated the Peel Session version of 'If looks could kill', too.

While I prefer the Peel Session version, I agree that it's still not great. Though the synth riff is fun and energetic, it sounds a bit cheesy (see also: 'Take On Me'). Also, the brash instrumental middle-eight is a bit too dissonant, and Neil's vocal style here is a bit grating (the simple vocal melody isn't much help either). So I gave it a 6.

As regards the 7-inch version, I agree with @OspreyQueen that it's a bit of a dirge.

OspreyQueen likes this.
  19. Ray

Ray

It's póst-Peel era. I actually thought about it. But it would be a bit like scoring the Bobby O version of 'West End girls'.

In other news the rate is suspended until I manage to leave Poland, because our plane didn't depart, the next one is broken, we got rebooked into one which is technically full, so THANKS A LOT @WhipperSnapper!

20. I have the slightest paranoia that @WhipperSnapper and me are actually the same person (I have never seen him in a room with me at the same time...think about that). How come we have basically the same avi yet again!?!
    The moment we will have the same text in it, will be the end of the space-time-continuum and Sad Robot World will win this thing.

soratami, Ray and WhipperSnapper like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.