PSB3: Pet Shop Boys rate, 2006-2019. #94 There is no place to hide | Page 11 | The Popjustice Forum

PSB3: Pet Shop Boys rate, 2006-2019. #94 There is no place to hide

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Ray, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What is your favourite section of this rate?

1. Fundamental

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. Yes

15 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Elysium

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. Electric

12 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Super

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. Agenda

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. Others

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  8. Christmas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ray

Ray

Electric is produced very well, it's just awfully mixed, especially the vocals. As for Super... stay tuned for @Future Lover's (and mine) su(pe)rprise!

Remorque, Carsten and Future Lover like this.
  2. Isn´t the mix-down part of the production? For me Electric sounds like pre-set-o-rama AND a shoddy mix.

Carsten and WhipperSnapper like this.
  3. That's fair. I was spoiled by Trevor Horn and even Andrew Dawson in terms of expansiveness, but perhaps the criticism is unfair. /retracted

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Carsten likes this.
  4. Two weeks to go, folks!

5. YIKES. I didn't know this had started but obviously I need to participate! I'll try to get it all done but I might have to just send scores for now and do commentary later as real life is a bit bonkers at the moment. Would that be OK?

WhipperSnapper, Ray and Future Lover like this.
  6. Listened to the Further Listening's for Fundamental, Yes & Elysium as well as Super. Just have Electric, Agenda and the non-FL b-sides to work through.

Future Lover likes this.
  7. Yep, commentary is optional!

Sally_Harper likes this.
  8. Thanks, that's good to know! I have a feeling I might need to defend some of my high scores though...

9. Ray

Ray

We're happy for you to comment as we go as well. There's no need to defend your bad taste your scores, but I'd definitely like to get explanations for the zeroes – I will be explaining mine. (TL;DR – if I can't listen to the song without grinding my teeth and begging for it to be over, it's a zero, even if it has an amazing bassline or wonderful backing vocals, etc.)

10. Ray

Ray

I fully approve of the current top three, even though some people ruined the 10+ average for #1.

Supertalk coming later.

11. That's tea, actually.

My precise definition is actually "If it makes me want to rip my headphones off my head and/or triggers my gag reflex, it's a zero."

Remorque, soratami and Ray like this.
  12. I would've written an essay myself on why I adore "Electric", but unfortunately, I'm pretty messy with my time arrangements to actually do it.

A tl;dr version would be: "It slays, you should listen to it until you love it as much as I do, and that's tea"

13. I’ve finally got on with it. Fundamental has six 10s for me. Only two on Yes but it has my 11!

14. Ray

Ray

It looks like we've done a Further Listening booklet for Super, I have to edit it, so it's coming tomorrow.

You go @Jóga, hope that 11 was given to the right song!

Future Lover likes this.
  15. As much as I respect your taste, I think you’ll be disappointed, though not angry at me.

Ray likes this.
  16. Ray

Ray

Oh well, somebody had to give a score above 3 to 'Building a wall'.

Jóga likes this.
  17. Until reading this I have always tried to give a point or two if a track I don't like in general includes at least one decent part even if I have to skip it because I can't stand listening to the whole track. Now I think I'll have to hand out a few more zeroes. On reflection, it's even more annoying if a great bassline or some other great bit is wasted on a crap song.

18. Ray

Ray

True. 'Winner' is my prime example. There are a few nice bits in it. But I have to literally white-knuckle through it trying to listen selectively to hear those nice bits. I prefer a very middling song that doesn't cause my skin to crawl.

19. I wouldn't be disappointed if someone gave it an 11.

Yes, 'Winner' is one of these tracks for me, too.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  20. [​IMG]

Remorque and Riiiiiiiii like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.