PSB3: Pet Shop Boys rate, 2006-2019. You're the winner! I'm the winner! What's the winner? | Page 45 | The Popjustice Forum

PSB3: Pet Shop Boys rate, 2006-2019. You're the winner! I'm the winner! What's the winner?

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Ray, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What is your favourite section of this rate?

1. Fundamental

14 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. Yes

17 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Elysium

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. Electric

11 vote(s)
    21.2%
  5. Super

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  6. Agenda

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  7. Others

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  8. Christmas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Das neue Album, Darling! DAS!
    The kicker is, that this old album has a track called "Ich Bin Ein Computer", ich which a computer tells us how great it is to be computer and that he never wants to be human!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  2. Ray

Ray

Well finally.

A bit Kate Bush Director’s Cut

no one "needs" this as such

[​IMG]

'Left to my own devices (Super version)'
    B-side to 'Undertow'
    Average: 5,6027
    Highest score: 1x10 (@Riiiiiiiii)
    Lowest score: 1x0 (@slurmjunkie)

Chris We decided that we didn't want any orchestra samples on the whole tour, so when Stuart was programming for the tour he had to rethink how songs could be.
    Neil I'm not sure that we've ever mentioned, that the rationale for the Super tour – because we always have a rationale for everything – was that there were going to be no samples of acoustic instruments. And that's what determined the arrangements. We had three other musicians with us – so we had four musicians playing on the stage – and samples of acoustic instruments could not be played.
    Chris We decided it was a bit weird when there's only two of us onstage and you hear a 60-piece orchestra playing.
    Neil And sometimes it's even weirder to have five of us onstage and get that. So Stuart worked on arrangements where we took these out. I think it works. And this is one example.
    Chris Heath Neil sang a vocal for this studio version, recorded by Pete Gleadall, one day on tour.
    Chris I just see fat suits when I hear that.

Ray I gave this 3,5 because of the original still being flawless and this remix maintains the original melody and lyrics. It's not as hideous as the massacred 'In private', but 'not as hideous' is the nicest thing I can say about it. It's just so... cheap.

@nostalgiakills (6): Seeing how the original is an easy 10, and possibly an 11, revising it seems like a bad idea. But I was there at the Royal Opera House when they debuted it, and I loved it - in a live context it was thrilling. That said, I can’t imagine ever choosing to play this over the original when I’m in the comfort of my own home.
    @WhipperSnapper (5): A bit Kate Bush Director’s Cut. Don’t mess with perfection!
    @VivaForever (5): Let’s be honest, this version is anything but super.
    @DominoDancing (5): After that weird Barfly version of It's A Sin, this is their second attempt at taking a great song that benefittet from an amazing over-the-top orchestral original arrangement and stripping all that fun away. The lyrics are still great, everything else is just way worse than in the original version. [I love that Barfly mix – FL] [I really don't – Ray]
    @nanafan (9): This is a great remix and really works. The original is a 10 so this has to score lower but not much as it’s great
    @TrendyMüller (4): Might work wonders in a live setting, but as a remix it´s rather shoddy. The intro transition from sampled voice to Neil singing is so amateurish.
    @JakeMagnus (1): Way to make a great song terrible
    @Seventeen Days (6): Sometimes, the boys’ attempts at updates of their songs are just as good, if not better than the original (see also: Paninaro ‘95, or my commentary for Viva la Vida/Domino Dancing). This new version is… not one of them. I prefer the original, but B for effort I guess.
    @westendgirl (3): WTF? How can they mess up such a brilliant song? The original is definitely 10 points, but this… ?
    @Midnight City (9): Obviously no one "needs" this as such. But if you mark it and try to forget about the original, on it's own merits, it's great
    @Sally_Harper (5) I prefer the original, teebs.
    @Bleu Noir (7): A very acidic 7, I expected more
    @Farnaby (2): Not the complete massacre of the In Private cover, but... why ? Flat, tiny, ordinary. Like asking Jeff Koons to remix a Botticelli. [LOVE this – Ray]

Studio version by Ourprogrammerpetegleadall:

Inner Sanctum live:

I greatly disapprove of tomorrow's elimination and the worst thing is that none of you will even have the decency to feel guilty.

3. Awe, it's pointless and way subpar but I couldn't rate something Devices related too lowly

4. I love that gif too, it doesn't need context.

5. He was a real snack.

6. But... but... it's a Stuart Price remix of Left To My Own Devices. And a damn good one!

7. He's not my type (lovely smile, though) but prime Lowe is the "posh Neil's bit of rough" look in the early videos. Always makes me chuckle.

Ray and TrendyMüller like this.
  8. Through the 80s he was a real looker for my taste. The PSB vs America book shows him losing his looks. There´s a slightly unpleasant and unsympathetic streak appearing on him all of a sudden.

Ray likes this.
  9. Time makes fools of us all...

TrendyMüller and WhipperSnapper like this.
  10. Too much of a good thing...and champers!

nostalgiakills likes this.
  11. This caused a strange flashback to German class. Why do nouns need a gender anyway? Don't even get me started on the whole Akkusativ business...

Back to the topic at hand, Der Remix ist scheiße. Tschüss.

12. Ray

Ray

I had top marks in everything at high school except nearly failing to graduate because of der die das. I hate them with das Passion.

WhipperSnapper likes this.
  13. One of the very few good things of being German: Not having to learn German.
    Polish is even worse I suppose.
    Die, Bart, die!

blissteria and WhipperSnapper like this.
  14. Ray

Ray

What has Bart ever done to you?!

Polish is consistently among top 5 most difficult languages in the world, sometimes topping the list. Husby is learning Polish. I admire him. I wouldn't agree to do THAT.

Future Lover likes this.
  15. NO one who speaks German can be an evil man:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  16. Guess it's a bit easier when you're Serbian? I already understand like half of it, lol Easy peasy. Western Europeans are just big wusses.

Ray and WhipperSnapper like this.
    Ray likes this.
  18. Yes. I could have given a few points because of the original composition, which is still in there. The cut-up diva sample ruins this completely, though. I never want to hear this again. Also, why is it always this song out of all their classic singles they have to mess with when performing it live? The original arrangement is perfect (and was a contender for my 11 in the first rate).

19. Ray

Ray

THAT is how 'Devices' should always be performed live.

20. Groovy better be out by Monday ffs

WhipperSnapper and jtm like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.