Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time In Hollywood | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time In Hollywood

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by VicePresidentJocasta, Jul 12, 2017.

1. I'm not defending Tarantino because that comment about Polanski is disgusting.

But what about everyone else that defends Polanski - Natalie Portman, Meryl Streep? Are they all "cancelled" too?

2. Yes. If abusing children isn’t a red line for you not defending or working for someone then they can fuck off too.

Shockbox likes this.
  3. Good.

Just find it a bit hypocritical for people to rage and 'cancel' Tarantino while 'yasssing' at their faves who continue to work with and support him in other threads.

4. I don't understand why Uma had to be in the shot. It's just a shot of her back and as much as I love Zoë Bell, she was Uma's stunt double and could and should have easily drove down that road. He's honestly lucky that she didn't get killed, cause that would have been it for his career.

Sarah Jones immediately came to mind as well as the Twilight Zone Movie incident that got three actors killed. Fucking directors that just "have to get the shot", damn the safety precautions/laws.

(Also wanted to add how devastating this is for me. Kill Bill is my favorite movie. Hands down. I love that it's this story about this amazing, kick ass woman, that got revenge on those that wronged her. I also really looked up to Quentin as a director, in spite of how problematic his choices have been [as shown in the video above. I wanted to think his choices were paying homage to his childhood]. Just from his interviews and what I've heard about him, he's seemed to be someone who took the utmost care when it came to his actors and the people around him. This is distressing.)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  5. I love Kill Bill as much as the next gay twenty-something but was it ever empowering to women (even before these truly alarming BTS incidents emerged)? It is very much the masturbatory fantasies of the (male) director writ large.

6. While I agree that the female characters are highly sexualized and arent "necessarily" empowering I wouldn´t reduce them to masturbatory fantasies at all.

Most of his movies depict female revenge and create interesting, unapologetic heroines. Sure, you could argue that these "amazons" are just as reduced to sexual fantasies but I think you always have to remember within what genre he moves and that his movies often are a wild cacaphony of references. To me it sometimes feels like he creates caricatures of figures that would work pretty well in his fictional worlds, but then also decides (not always) to break the cliché...and I guess thats what makes his movies so fascinating.

Also I think the sexualization is an important element to create the atmosphere/feeling of anger/revenge within his movies. Often the female leads gets molested by the most disgusting male stereotype ever ...and I think the fact that the viewer sometimes is confronted with shots that also dehumanize/reduce the women to her appearence (feet-shots,etc... and yeah I am sure this re-occuring motif has something to do with fetish lol) create this feeling of a (white) male supremacy/threat...like as a viewer you are supposed to feel uncomfortable.. and then gets fighted in cartoonish ways.

I dont know. I am sure Tarantinos movies are problematic and females often have to suffer within them, but the stories within them to me often feel empowering. The ending movies often present the female success (no matter how compromised or shitty it is)... the bride manages to get her daughter, the women in deathproof manage to "punish" stuntman mike,etc...

7. If the only way a director can provide a revenge narrative for a female character is by subjecting her to sexual violence, they shouldn’t be making films.

8. well its obviously not the only possibility for a revenge narrative (i didnt say that at all). But why shouldn´t it be subject in a fictional movie? its a stylistic/narrative choice.

9. I was making a more general point, not specific to you, haha.

I’m not saying it shouldn’t be, but too often it’s used as an easy ‘defining’ characteristic. At best it’s lazy, at worst it’s incredibly damaging, often glamourising the act in the process.

Take Death Proof for example. Supposedly empowering for women, but features a sequence where a woman is left in the hands of an established rapist by her own friends. And to make matters worse it’s played for laughs.

We consume problematic material all the time, but we should also be aware of the damaging impact art can have on wider culture. Burying our heads in the sand and brushing things off as ‘narrative choice’ is gross (again, I’m not calling out you specifically.)

10. Death Proof is a terrible, terrible movie.

Terminus, Jwentz and vague like this.
  11. True.

Overlong and boring... the dialogue alone ugh. A grind house feature would never allow its self to drag so much,
    Planet Terror did the whole shebang much better.

12. Finally got around to buying Inglourious Basterds on BluRay just last week, so of course this stuff would come out now! I don't think he deserves to be cancelled like Messers Spacey, Weinstein etc - 'cancelling' every single person who voiced support for those ghastly individuals risks undermining the very cancellation of said individuals - but a wholesome apology would be welcome. Obviously that would change if the current stream of allegations carried on getting worse, mind.

clean your wig fridge and Xanax like this.
  13. The thing is that there aren't even really 'allegations' here. The car crash was awful and stupid and he was fully to blame, because as the director he simply should have known better (in the Deadline interview he admits to the stupidity of having her drive the opposite way on the road he tested). Uma seems to have no hard feelings against him other than having taked her into the car. But the Polanski thing, as gross as it is, has been available for anyone to listen to and get pissed off about on YouTube for over a decade.

Many publications pulled Diane Kruger into the conversation due to the fact that he also choked her for a scene in Inglorious Basterds. She responded with this:

14. Allegations was the wrong word to use, yes, sorry. I merely meant that obviously if this now continues to snowball and it ends up in people suddenly feeling strong enough to open up about Weinstein-esque stuff then he would absolutely deserve to be cancelled.

Naive it may be but for the sake of my sanity I'm going to choose to believe Diane and Uma are genuine in what they've said on instagram and haven't been in any way 'asked' to post it.

clean your wig fridge likes this.
  15. Oh no need to be sorry, I just mean that this seems to be quite different from most other cases. Of course I could be totally wrong, but I feel like if there were going to be any truly shocking allegations made against Quentin then they probably would have flooded out with the Uma story.

It's definitely going to be interesting to see how his next film comes together, because I believe it was set to shoot this summer and the cast that was rumored to be circling the project was stacked.

Xanax likes this.
  16. From The Hollywood Reporter:

Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio are reuniting with Quentin Tarantino to star in the filmmaker's latest feature, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Sony Pictures announced Wednesday.

Tarantino describes it as “a story that takes place in Los Angeles in 1969, at the height of hippy Hollywood. The two lead characters are Rick Dalton (Leonardo DiCaprio), former star of a Western TV series, and his longtime stunt double Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt). Both are struggling to make it in a Hollywood they don’t recognize anymore. But Rick has a very famous next-door neighbor...Sharon Tate.”

The film is set to be released worldwide on Aug. 9, 2019.

17. Brad Pitt was the worst thing about Inglourious Basterds but the premise sounds good.

18. Hopefully Margot said no.

AlisodoTheBambino likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.