Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time In Hollywood | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time In Hollywood

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by VicePresidentJocasta, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Margot Robbie confirmed last week that she'll be playing Sharon Tate in the film. According to Variety, Tim Olyphant, Burt Reynolds, Kurt Russell, Tim Roth, and Michael Madsen are also in talks.

Uno and Xanax like this.
  2. Hoping and praying for a new Tarantino classic. For a teaser trailer that gives away none of the story I'd say it looks really promising.

3. Nothing really in the trailer we didn't know before* or could picture from leaked set photos. Hopefully the proper trailer will properly ignite the campaign, and give us some indication of what kind of film this is, and an idea of where it goes, beyond "actor and stunt double do things against backdrop of Manson murders"

*except that Brad Pitt is doing his Inglourious Basterds accent, which seems a little odd somehow.

It's Tarantino though, so I'll be excited and be there first showing even if every day between then and now Tarantino himself says it's shit.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  4. The trailer looks great and I'm glad they released it so soon after that godawful poster. Looking at that, the film could be about absolutely anything.

5. Thought that Django Unchained was a (redeemed by Sam and Leo) mess and that Hateful Eight was dire.

Basically, if this doesn't improve the trajectory I'll be convinced that Sally Menke will go down in history as the "auteur" of this career...

6. While I LOVE Hateful Eight, I have to agree with you, he needs a good editor. Sally Menke must have been the only person that stood up to him. To be fair to him, he always seemed to worship at her feet.

kermit_the_frog likes this.
  7. It is his kink.

8. New trailer. The film premieres today at Cannes.

9. Not Tarantino managing to blatantly sneak in his foot fetish not 45 seconds into the trailer fff

Tribal Spaceman likes this.
  10. Early reactions from Cannes are overwhelmingly positive.

johnny_tsunami and Mikal like this.
  11. Yeah it's getting absolute raves almost across the board. Seems like some critics are gonna digest it before publishing their reviews. I'm so excited for a big event film that isn't Marvel/DC/dumbed down shit for teenagers. It's been a while.

12. Apparently Margot doesn’t speak for the first hour.

13. That still leaves almost 2 hours. And he's considering/threatening to make it longer.

14. This is sitting at 91% on Rotten Tomatoes, his best-reviewed film since Pulp Fiction (92%). I'm gagged. Going to see it tomorrow night.

15. I'm planning on going this weekend but it's getting stellar reviews from some of his harshest critics. Let's see if it bucks his recent trend of overindulgence

16. I can't wait to see this but I'm gonna have to do a three week moratorium on articles/reviews/this thread. UK release isn't 'til mid-August. I'm genuinly terrified someone is going to carelessly tweet/like something that's a spoiler, or one of those not-spoilers, but means you can work out things cause you're movie savvy.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  17. I can't wait to see it next month. It's the only Tarantino film I have ever had any interest in seeing.

Dangerous Maknae likes this.
  18. This movie is so damn good. Very easily one of his best ever, and definitely the most fun I've had going to the movies all year. It's kind of un-Tarantino in some ways, and certainly a departure from the run of Inglorious/Django/Hateful. For one, the dialogue isn't always center stage. When it's great (it always is), it's fucking great... but there's a lot more focus on the cinematography, mood, and scenery throughout. It very much is a fairytale as the title implies. Once Upon a Time transports you into another world, and everything looks fucking incredible. It's easy to get lost in the flashing lights, incredible sets, and movies-within-the-movie. This is, above all else, a love letter to old Hollywood. Also, it's much less violent than any of his films (until the very end, which is absolutely insane). Still, whenever you find yourself forgetting that you're watching a Tarantino flick, there's some brilliantly funny dialogue, absurd situations with even more absurd buildup, and a fuckton of feet. I mean seriously a lot of feet. The amount of feet shots in this film makes it feel like he must be in on the joke rather than just doing it for his own pleasure. It's almost absurd. Margot Robbie's toes may end up competing against Marget Qualley's toes for a Golden Globe.

The cast is expectedly great. Brad and Leo are clearly having a lot of fun with the roles, which is contagious. Both of them put in great work, but Leo stole the show for me. Margot brings a real light, joyful air to Sharon Tate and it's fantastic to watch. There's also a lot of fun cameos that result in great performances (it was so nice seeing Luke Perry on the big screen opposite Leo). This is one of the rare occasions where I left the theater thinking, "I can't wait to watch that again".

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  19. Yeah, I just got out of a showing and it felt very restrained for him other than the feet department. I couldn't stand Hateful 8, which while gorgeous just felt gratuitous in the worst way and not in service of The Other, but of himself, so I was apprehensive about seeing this, but I rather enjoyed it.

It's meandering but I honestly love that in service of just lots of character moments. It's gorgeous and just a good movie to be in, even if much doesn't happen. Fantastic performances though. Margot was radiant even if she has like, barely any lines at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.