QUIRKY POP RATE | #29: "Not quite Calum Scott’s Dancing On My Own cover-level rancid" | Page 146 | The Popjustice Forum

QUIRKY POP RATE | #29: "Not quite Calum Scott’s Dancing On My Own cover-level rancid"

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Apr 3, 2020.

1. I remember listening to that a lot back when it was released! Definitely worth a listen for anyone who's doesn't know it, it really is fantastic

We ride the bus with the knees pulled in. People should see how we're living

Buzzcut Season

Pure Heroine 4/6
    10 (20) @Sprockrooster @eatyourself soratami @Fuchsia @constantino @Conan @sfmartin @Trouble in Paradise @Oleander @klow @sapnu puas @Robsolete @berserkboi @elektroxx @vague @LTG @Blond @Music Is Life @godspeed @Gabeee9292 | 9.5 (3) @DJHazey @No hay banda @pop3blow2
    4 @abael | 6 (2) @Verandi @junkos

Leaderboard trajectory:
    5: #22 (9)
    10: #30 (8.7)
    15: #22 (8.767)
    20: #28 (8.45)
    25: #30 (8.436)
    30: #30 (8.413)
    35: #27 (8.511)
    40: #26 (8.573)
    45: #26 (8.564)
    50: #27 (8.618)
    55: #26 (8.62)
    60: #27 (8.627)
    65: #28 (8.602)
    67: #31 (8.569)

After surviving forty-two eliminations (the second longest gap in the rate between two songs by the same artist, after Diana's forty-three between You'll Never Get To Heaven and The Boy Who Murdered Love), Lorde finally loses another of her songs. Buzzcut Season (written and produced by Lorde and Joel Little, and was released as one of Pure Heroine's promotional singles) was in the top 30 literally the whole voting period, until the very last elimination, so you can blame for @Butterfly's 6.75 for it ending up at #31.

@Stradiwhovius (8) makes the obvious joke: "Lockdown teas here."

@Crisp X (8) is reminded of another rate artists "The final chorus is my favorite part, and with the groovy drums, oddly reminds me of Ellie Goulding (Halcyon era)?" Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore Albums coming soon(ish)!

@Runawaywithme (8) is drawn to the song's dark vibe: "I love the bare pulsing production on this song, and it’s dreamy, hazy vibe. I also find it strangely sinister,which always really pulls me in."

@R27 (8.5) praises the lyrics: "The first verse is a prime example of Lorde’s outstanding songwriting style. She’s able to zone in on seemingly mundane occurrences and make them appear profound and significant. The imagery of her lyrics paint a vivid portrait which feels uniquely her own. Indeed,from the very beginning she was already carving out a lane for herself in the pop landscape."

@Phonetics Boy (8.5) muses: "The power that denial has. I see so much appeal and so much need to disassociate in my life and I've never even lost anybody. Now that's a scary thought..."

@Untouchable Ace (9.2) appreciates Lorde's timelessness: "She's a musical artist stripped back. Her songs have minimal modern elements which makes her output timeless. If anything her own layered vocals are more the 1960's than they are the 2010's."

@berserkboi (10) apparently hadn't listened to any of the albums in the rate (except Ladyhawke?): "This is absolutely gorgeous! Why do I not know it? Was it not a single? The best Lorde I’ve heard so far!"

@Sprockrooster (10) sees no faults: "Impeccable production and flawless vocals."

@constantino (10) didn't really have any reason to fear, Buzzcut did quite great: "I fear for this being one of the more skeletal and understated songs in the rate but LORD is it an incredible piece of music."

@godspeed (10) makes a very amusing typo which I'm not sure was intentional or not: "I am - still - so in love with the atmosphere Lorde and Joel Little created on this song. It reminds me of her Love Club EP that I really loved. It's actually quite simple but it grabs you in instantly. And this being the track that follows "Ribs" on the album... Sort of the calm after the storm. Or during the storm? I don't know. One of the finest buzzcuts on Pure Heroine."

@sfmartin (10) praises: "One of my absolute favourites of hers. Such potent vivid imagery"

@Trouble in Paradise (10) Connects Buzzcut Season with another Pure Heroine deep cut: "Am I the only person who views “Buzzcut Season” and “White Teeth Teen” as two pieces to be put together? I don’t have any deep connection other than the fact that listening to one without the other just feels wrong. I will say both songs- the one I’m actually rating in particular- show just how masterfully Lorde can paint an image with her lyrics. Like all us sad homos have lived the moment she describes in the second verse."

And lastly, @eatyourself (10) asks: "is there a way to listen to this song without crying?" Can't cry when you're dead, I would know (Slasher reference, sorry nn).

3. Top 30

Santogold

Creator
    L.E.S. Artistes
    Lights Out
    Say Aha
    You’ll Find A Way
    Shove It

1/6

Ladyhawke
    Back of the Van
    Paris Is Burning
    Dusk Till Dawn
    My Delirium
    Magic
    Better Than Sunday
    2/6

Hands
    Stuck On Repeat
    Meddle

New In Town
    Remedy
    Earthquake
    Mathematics

1/6

La Roux
    Quicksand
    In For The Kill

Bulletproof
    I’m Not Your Toy
    Tigerlily
    Cover My Eyes

1/6

Lungs
    Dog Days Are Over
    Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up)
    Drumming Song
    Cosmic Love
    Howl
    Between Two Lungs
    4/6

The Family Jewels
    Obsessions
    Mowgli’s Road

Hollywood
    I Am Not a Robot
    Oh No!
    Numb
    2/6

Lights
    Under The Sheets
    Starry Eyed
    Guns and Horses

The Writer
    Lights
    This Love (Will Be Your Downfall)
    1/6

Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree
    Once
    The Boy Who Murdered Love

Four Leaf Clover
    You’ll Never Get to Heaven
    My Hip
    Chasing You

0/6

The ArchAndroid
    Come Alive (The War of the Roses)
    Tightrope
    Cold War
    Dance or Die
    Wondaland

2/6

Perfectionist
    Mirrors
    Wonderland
    Kill My Boyfriend
    Break You Hard
    Love Is a Suicide
    Acid Annie

1/6

Cinderella’s Eyes
    Beat of My Drum
    Lucky Day
    Yo-Yo
    Cinderella’s Eyes
    Porcelain Heart
    Take A Bite

0/6

Born to Die
    Video Games
    Born To Die
    Blue Jeans
    Summertime Sadness
    Ride
    Radio
    5/6

True Romance
    Stay Away
    Nuclear Seasons
    You’re The One
    You (Ha Ha Ha)
    Take My Hand

Grins
    1/6

Pure Heroine
    Royals
    Tennis Court
    Team
    Buzzcut Season
    Ribs
    Glory and Gore
    3/6

Night Time, My Time
    Everything Is Embarrassing
    You’re Not the One
    24 Hours
    I Blame Myself
    Nobody Asked Me (If I Was Okay)
    I Will

4/6

Glorious
    Youth
    Let Go For Tonight
    Holding Onto Heaven
    Glorious
    Night Owls Early Birds
    Home

2/6

4. Hitlist before top 20:
    I know that is only 8 songs, but I couldn't pick more. I expect a threeway tie at #20. Cheers, thanks a lot.

eatyourself and soratami like this.
  5. Buzzcut Season definitely belongs to the pantheon of The Greatest Lorde Songs. I've seen someone mention the production in their commentary and I'll use this moment to take something off of my chest!

I took a long time to warm up to Lorde. I discovered her still during her debut EP days and at that time I just bumped her together with all the other indie singer-songwriter girls that were coming out at that time, right after the huge indie wave that the Tumblr girls started. A couple months later Royals blew up and became the song of 2013 and it made me check her soon-to-be-released album with more attention.
    Turns out I was quite put off by it. Not only were all the girls on Twitter doing the most about her, but the album also sounded unfinished, bare, raw, and not in a "not well produced" way because all the songs are super glossy but in a bloodless way. It sounded pale, ill, rushed, like those poor melodies were added to any preset the producers had around. I also thought she couldn't sing so well and this might have been one of the reasons why the production was so low-key.

There were three songs that, with time, started to challenge my assumptions on her - the first one is A World Alone, which has that one string of guitar looped all through the song and I clearly remember it being the most striking thing on first listen. After some time Ribs and Buzzcut Season shone through and made me understand what they were going for with the sound, and how deep the lyrics actually were and how that connected to the production and even to her vocal delivery. To this day these are the first songs that pop to my mind when thinking about the album, they perfectly encapsulate that unexplainable melancholy that's intrinsic to every single second of an average white teenager's life. I like the album fine today, some songs more than others, nothing there is as essential as those three.

I also think that Melodrama is basically the perfect example of a successful sophomore album + have fallen a bit out of love with it with time, but that's to be discussed at the next rate, along with how she gave birth to the e-girls who sing of present days.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 8:02 PM
  6. To be honest we're gonna need more of that or, going by what's happened in other rates, it might end up completely dominating dd

7. Melodrama is a fantastic album I can still enjoy a lot but I'm around Lorde's age and it just resonated with me at the time in a way I feel like I've probably now grown out of. It'd get a lot of 9s and 10s but not my 11.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 8:12 PM
    Crisp X and soratami like this.
  8. I love that fourteen out of the sixteen albums managed to make it to the top 30. Shame Diana and Nicola didn't, but at least they still got quite decent album averages.

And now the question is... who will make it to the top 20.

9. The one track left girlies holding on by a thread!

Trouble in Paradise and soratami like this.
  10. I need Mirrors to go, I need Youth to go, and I need Hollywood to go.

11. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Mirrors, Tightrope and 24 Hours would probably be my next 3 choices x

soratami likes this.
  12. All 10s!

Actually, I lost three 8s and a 7 within the last ten eliminations, and now all the songs in the top 30 but one got a 9+ score from me, so I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

DJHazey likes this.
  13. Right, these next. I hadn't even realised that Obsessions had gone, you absolute beasts.

soratami likes this.
  14. LTG

LTG

What the fuck?! Buzzcut Season should have been top 10 at least!

DJHazey, sfmartin, elektroxx and 4 others like this.
  15. Ribs is on your list?
    The Ribs?
    judging-you.gif

16. These are all fair game.

DJHazey, blissteria and soratami like this.
  17. You gave Obsessions a 4 or something, I won't be hearing this.

18. LTG

LTG

Who hurt you?

(apart from Florence, apparently)

19. Too much Ladyhawke on everyone’s hit list, You tasteless bunch!!!

20. Some of y’all have never lived in a hologram with anybody and it shows.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.