QUIRKY POP RATE: EVOLUTION | #73: Love, Laugh, Live (Fearlessly) | Page 36 | The Popjustice Forum

QUIRKY POP RATE: EVOLUTION | #73: Love, Laugh, Live (Fearlessly)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Santigold being the fourth artist named here, after Madonna, Aaliyah and Rosetta Tharpe... the power that that has.

2. R27

R27

My mind.

berserkboi, MilesAngel and soratami like this.
  3. Did I 9.5 Graveyard? Should've been a 10. I declare this elimination a

POP INJUSTICE!

4. I...have no words to express my disappointment.
    That is reassuring but I'm still scared they won't go far enough. Hope all three make the top 30, with at least one in the top 10.
    I love Graveyard. The guitar is so gorgeous throughout and the way it acts as a base for the first verse as the rest of the song's production grows and flows into the chorus where it drops out to let all of the other elements shine, and comes back for the bridge is genuinely thrilling. The song feels big even if it doesn't sound big and I have no idea how they pulled that off. The melodies are really pretty, the lyrics are great and Halsey shines here. It's another fantastic song and I will assume, like our host, it was scored low simply because Halsey's name is attached to it.

You're welcome! And that makes sense. Lost & Found is fantastic (wish I had 10'd it now), and I do like On My Mind. It was just such a thrillingly hearstopping listen that I had to ask. Would be an 11 contender in most rates, including this.

5. Well, High Priestess is played in the house party scene and I wasn't all that impressed with the film, so that moment was my highlight, basically.

I mostly love Manic so I'm sad, it's bad, not mad though...

I'm convinced Your Domino would have been out by now if it was by any other artist. Meh.

Music Is Death and soratami like this.
  6. That commentary did make me look at the latest Scream soundtrack, but I didn't see High Priestess there so I was a bit confused dd. Great for Santigold to get that extra exposure though.

7. Same as yesterday, today... one artist will be losing their second song (Charli XCX, Kyla La Grange, Lorde or MARINA), and another their third (CHVRCHES, Ellie Goulding, Little Boots or Santigold).

8. Wait it was?! Oh my God I'll have to listen for it next time I watch it. I love the movie though ddd.
    Please, for the love of God, claws. I'm so not used to me not liking/loving something being an unpopular opinion. And I think that applies to all of how i'm feeling now ddd. And I hope it's not an Ellie or Santigold song.

9. I'm on your side. I want claws gone too.

10. I like claws. It's on record in this very thread that I find miss Charli deeply annoying but it and how i'm feeling now as a whole feel like a moment of the stars aligning where she could properly weaponise that irritation into something which really captures the anxiety and frustration that Season 1 of the pandemic had.

elektroxx and soratami like this.
  11. R27

R27

Hoping we lose another Marina track and On My Mind. I'd always be pleased with another Little Boots cut.

soratami likes this.
  12. Damn, y'all are always intent on doing Halsey and Santi dirty, aren't y'all?

I hadn't heard "High Priestess" until its elimination, but it would've received an 8 from me.

Also, I don't understand how "Graveyard" was eliminated at No. 77. It's easily in my Top 5 of Halsey's discography. However, that may be due to these great live performances of the track:

GimmeWork, Serg., Crisp X and 8 others like this.

[​IMG]

OUT OF MY HEAD (FEAT. TOVE LO & ALMA)

CHARLI XCX 5/6
    10 (4) @2014 @Remorque @Trinu 3.0 @lovechoerrymotion | 9.5 @Attis
    0.5 @Phonetics Girl | 3 @Verandi
    Host score: 8

#80 - #69 - #70 - #78 - #76

Ten spots after her first cut, Charli loses a second song... and, would you look at that, it's not claws! With this elimination, we've now said goodbye to four of the six songs to have received 0/0.5 scores. Who will be the last two victims? You'll have to wait and see.

Out of My Head was released in December 2017, as the first and only single from Pop 2, Charli's second mixtape released that year. If there's a project in the rate that was done dirty by the "singles only" rule, it's definitely Pop 2. For a mixtape that houses Track 10, which many people would consider Charli's best song ever, and which won her latest discography rate and would most likely make the top 10 here, to be represented by Out of My Head, which very much a cute girl in comparison... it's hardly ideal, but what can you do. Out of My Head, an A.G. Cook/SOPHIE production, was originally intended for ALMA's album (which is kind of funny, because looking at her discography, she only actually released an album in 2020, three years later. Labels, right), but Charli asked to release it instead, with Tove Lo subsequently also being added to the song. Funnily enough, out of the three artists featured in the song, Charli actually has the least vocals. She appears through the whole song, but only actually takes the lead in the second verse. Which honestly only makes the decision for this to be the only single from Pop 2 even more baffling.

@Phonetics Girl (0.5) "Look, I've limited myself and didn't give out all the zeroes I was tempted to but this one... this one is irredeemable. The half point is for the brief moments I don't feel terrorised by the vocals. Otherwise, a nightmare, literally a nightmare."

@berserkboi (5.5) "Okay these barely there melodies are getting a little annoying ddd"

@DJHazey (6) "ALMA’s part is the only thing really catchy about this (and even that becomes almost grating after awhile), otherwise it’s a miss. Most of this album is worse though, to be fair. At least that’s how I remember it."

@saviodxl (7) "I generally like the result when these gals work together, but this one falls a bit flat. A cute effort tho."

@Crisp X (7.5) "Always felt that one was a bit much on the repetitive side"

@R27 (7.5) "This being the only single from Pop 2 is a head scratcher for the ages. So many superior choices were available!"

@godspeed (7.5) "”Unlock It” would have won this rate and y’all know it! This is a good one too though."

@Attis (9.5) "nn I'm sorry Charli's contribution is so minimal in here. Why pick this over Femmebot or Track 10 or I Got It ? Still bop tho"

14. I'm annoying myself with how smug I feel that claws remains unbothered. (Though to be fair, forever is the superior single from my beloved how i'm feeling now and I'd have likely 11'ed that.)

15. This definitely sounds more like an Alma song and would work better for her as a solo artist. It would end up being just an album track anyway

16. This deserved to be the first Charli song to go, not Dreamer...

GimmeWork, DJHazey, Serg. and 8 others like this.
  17. From the Charli selection I only gave high scores to Gone and Good Ones, so don't mind about the rest.

DJHazey, Phonetics Girl, j267 and 2 others like this.
  18. One of the few songs I didn’t/haven’t written commentary for because it’s so forgettable. Much like Alma’s career

Phonetics Girl and soratami like this.
  19. Still on this page huh? :/

20. I've just got in from my birthday celebrations (I'm not telling anyone my age), and would love an elimination.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.