QUIRKY POP RATE: EVOLUTION | Artist ranking & other stats | Page 96 | The Popjustice Forum

QUIRKY POP RATE: EVOLUTION | Artist ranking & other stats

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Jun 6, 2022.

1. She's not overrated, she's accurately rated :)

2. Honestly, Gone just grows on me more and more. Sad to see it go before top 3. But it had a good run considering the constant calls for it.

3. I have a 9.5, 8.5 and two 8s left. Could be worse but i'm a bit indifferent about the winner.

Trouble in Paradise and soratami like this.
  4. R27

R27

Whelp, there goes my last 10 so "What's Your Pleasure?" for the win!

Isobel and soratami like this.
  5. Okay, my soul can rest and I’m excited about any of these potential winners! I’ll say I gave one 9.75 to keep it off the podium for the three 10s I have left!

6. I'm good with any of these taking it, as long as the artist's name starts with J...

7. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Jessie Ware overrated? I've really read everything on here now!!

8. I think both Jessie and Foxes are overrated trollololo. Yeah, still mad about Florence, deal.

Also Gone is the song that justifies the hype around RobotCharli. Actual classic.

GimmeWork and soratami like this.
  9. Today... I won't be posting any hints, for obvious reasons dd. Later on we'll find who just missed the podium and who took the bronze.

10. Gone is... weird in how its outro kind of outstays its welcome but by the end of it I want to listen to the whole thing again.

soratami likes this.

[​IMG]

MAKE ME FEEL

JANELLE MONÁE 1/3
    10 (18) @2014 @saviodxl @pop3blow2 @GimmeWork @spaceship @Butterfly @eatyourself @godpseed @Ana Raquel @Attis @Sprockrooster @Trinu 3.0 @Verandi @Oleander @berserkboi @Music Is Death @lovechoerrymotion @Serg. | 9.5 (5) @Isobel @Stradiwhovius @Trouble in Paradise @aux @Conan
    4 @DJHazey | 6 soratami

#42 - #11 - #6 - #5 - #4

It took a long time, but, after another big average jump, of almost 8 points, we finally hit the 9+ averages. Make Me Feel is the last song not to have received any 11s and also has the least 10s in the top 5. Despite ending at #4, it was never actually inside the podium at any point through the voting period.

Make Me Feel was released in February 2018 as the lead single from Janelle's third album Dirty Computer, her first release (not counting features) since Yoga nearly three years earlier. Ditching her main collaborators Deep Cotton, who were involved in basically everything Janelle had done up to this point, and also worked on the rest of Dirty Computer, Make Me Feel was co-written by the creative masterminds that are Julia Michaels and Justin Tranter plus Swedish duo Mattman & Robin (who have worked with the likes of DNCE, Imagine Dragons and OneRepublic) and produced by the latter. Make Me Feel was a big hit for Janelle, becoming her second song after Yoga to chart in the US hot 100, and her first and only to make the UK 100. It's also her biggest song on Spotify, if you don't count We Are Young, with over 100 million streams. Janelle said "it's a celebratory song. I hope that comes across. That people feel more free, no matter where they are in their lives, that they feel celebrated. Because I'm about women's empowerment. I'm about agency. I'm about being in control of your narrative and your body. That was personal for me to even talk about: to let people know you don't own or control me and you will not use my image to defame or denounce other women." So yeah, I'm really not a fan of this one, in fact it's literally the only song out of the ninety-nine in the rate that always makes me reach for the skip button, hence my debut in the lowest scorer section. I'm a huge fan of Janelle, with her debut The ArchAndroid being easily one of my favourite albums ever, and sophomore The Electric Lady being up there too, so seeing such a creative, idiosyncratic artist come back with... a basic, grating funk-lite bop that literally sounds that, with a few lyrical changes, could have just as easily been released by [REDACTED] or [REDACTED] was definitely one of the biggest music-related disappointments I've experienced over the last few years. Still, its success proves it did what it what to do, so good for Janelle, the label and the song's fans, though I have to say it doing this well here and beating so many of my faves was frustrating, especially considering its much more tepid performance in the Janelle discography earlier this year. I certainly didn't predict it'd end up this high, but well, at least it didn't make the top 3.

@DJHazey (4) "That damn tongue-pop sound is torture. Enough."

@R27 (8) "I have a lot of respect for this one, but not necessarily a lot of love for it"

@Isobel (9.5) "Those Prince-y synth stabs in the middle 8 are fucking incredible."

@Trouble in Paradise (9.5) "I may have overplayed this to death but it's still incredible. I just don't want it to win"

@saviodxl (10) "I already liked this, but when it was added as the opening song for the TV series Human Resources I got to like it even more."

@pop3blow2 (10) “Just a complete classic, in every way, really.”

@spaceship (10) "A classic, I fear."

@godspeed (10) "Historic."

@Attis (10) "Bringing real funk and bi representation. Q.U.E.E.N indeed"

@Sprockrooster (10) "Ready for her TAFKAJ-era"

@berserkboi (10) "Another one in the casket!"

12. And now I can finally say I have nothing but 10s left

[​IMG]

(and if anyone's wondering, even if I'd given Make Me Feel a 10, it still would have ended up at #4)

13. I was worried with having only one 10 and 11 in the top 25, and now both of them are secure in the top 3. Plus my average score for the top 3 is 10.167 - we love to see it.

soratami likes this.
  14. Thank goodness, now I can say the Top 3 is high quality even if I didn't give them all 10's.

Legends only.

MilesAngel, soratami and Maki like this.
  15. After having the worst luck in past @soratami-run versus rates, I am thrilled to have my 11 and two 10s left for the final three. This never happens to me!

16. All 10a on the podium!

soratami likes this.
  17. Not one of my least favorite songs in this rate making the Top 3!

soratami likes this.
  18. "Make Me Feel" is a good song but, as mentioned in the write-up, it does feel a bit like a typical 'quirky funk' type of tune and it doesn't really do much for me - I ended up giving it a 7.25, which feels apt. Top 5 material it is not.

And the host having their least favourite song in the entire rate nearly make it to the top 3 is a bitsy iconic.

soratami and MilesAngel like this.
  19. It's gonna be a Jessie Ware Top 2 isn't it?

boombazookajoe and elektroxx like this.
  20. I certainly hope so.

2014 and soratami like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.