QUIRKY POP RATE: EVOLUTION | It's done. | Page 37 | The Popjustice Forum

QUIRKY POP RATE: EVOLUTION | It's done.

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Jun 6, 2022.

[​IMG]

BETTER IN THE MORNING

LITTLE BOOTS 4/6
    10 (5) @Sleet @eatyourself @Attis @Remorque @aux | 9.75 @Untouchable Ace
    2 @Trouble in Paradise | 3 @Sprockrooster

#78 - #84 - #72 - #76 - #75

After Katy, BANKS and Halsey, it's Little Boots's turn to lose a third song, leaving her with half her entries in the rate. The difference is, while those three artist all have one album that's now fully gone from the rate, the three Little Boots songs actually all came from different projects, one from album #3, one from album #4 and one from one of the EPs released in between the two, with each of those three eras still having one song in the rate.

Better In The Morning was released in May 2015 as the lead single from the third Little Boots album, Working Girl. It contains elements of the frequently sampled Genius of Love by Tom Tom Club (also sampled in a variety of other songs, such as Mariah's Fantasy and Latto's Big Energy) and was co-written and produced by Ariel Rechtshaid, one of the main Quirky Pop Girl collaborators, who has also worked with (former) rate artists Carly, Charli, HAIM and Sky Ferreira (remember her?). I wish I liked Better In The Morning more, it certainly fits the "quirky pop" bill to a t, but something about it just doesn't quite click for me, it feels a somewhat plodding and the chorus is a bit of a non-event. It's still good though, but it's definitely my least favourite Little Boots song in the rate. What I love is the music video, which is definitely worth a watch for anyone who's never seen it.

@Trouble in Paradise (2) "I'm sorry but every listen to get this to click made me hate it more.

@R27 (6) "Some interesting production choices make up for some of her typically nonsense lyrics."

@unnameable (7.5) "What a fine piece of poptimism!"

@berserkboi (8) "Somewhere between fun and annoying, but luckily more fun!"

@DJHazey (8.5) "My first thought was “this is what I expected the La Roux songs to be like vibe-wise (based on the last rate). I’ve mentioned that a few times because she's responsible for a lot of my favorite discoveries in the Sophomore rate and her songs were so disappointing this time around. I love the ‘na-na-na-na-na, while waving her finger’ way that the melody teases."

@godspeed (9) "I am amazed at how good this song is! This is a lot of fun and a very different direction than what Little Boots did on Nocturnes."

@pop3blow2 (9.25) “A deceitfully infectious little bop. Could almost be a jingle for a breakfast cereal, which I think is part of the vibe of the whole album (consumerism, artists as a commodity, etc.)

@Attis (10) "sdfadsf I still love this song. She's so quirkyyy can't take her anywhere !"

2. Happy birthday! Glad I didn't just eliminate one of your 10s, that would have been a bit awkward dd

3. Thank you. If it was one of my 10's I would've commented 'I take it back.'

I gave Better In The Morning 7.5. It's fine but the melody sounds like a song young children would sing in a
    school playground, and I could see it getting annoying if played too often.

Untouchable Ace, Maki, Aester and 3 others like this.
  4. I've been listening to Working Girl for what feels like forever and never realized she sampled Genius of Love on this until now!

DJHazey, MilesAngel, soratami and 4 others like this.
  5. I didn't lose a 9.5 or a 10?
    [​IMG]
    I gave Out Of My Head a 9, and like, half of that is for Tove Lo and her voice. Speaking of, her music fits the Quirky Pop genre extremely well. Part 2 Side B was proof of that of course. Anyway, the rest of the song is okay. The production is nice - I like parts during Charli's verse and Tove Lo's second verse/bridge part the most - but the chorus is low-key really annoying. Overall it all comes together to make a mostly good listen but not great. The final chorus almost goes off, but not enough. And I definitely overscored it. Anyway, listen to the superior song with these three women:

Better In The Morning was also a 9 for me. It's fun! It's bouncy, interesting, catchy. It's got a lot of great little elements that make it an arresting listen every time. The lyrics are good too. And the music video is wonderfully fun.

6. Unsurprisingly, I probably would've given "Out Of My Head" a ten, despite thinking that POP2 could've been better represented with either "Track 10" or "Unlock It."

"Better In The Morning" is a decent bop. I probably would've given it a 7.5.

soratami likes this.
  7. NOT Better In The Morning!! One of those songs that does what it sets out to do - it makes me feel better when I listen to it just after I wake up. I love how smooth her voice is, the doo-doo-doos, the "I'm heading to the cafeteria in half an hour" vibe.

8. I only managed to post that last elimination quite late, and I almost went "It's already pretty late so I think I better post the next elimination in the morning" yesterday night, I wonder if anyone would have gotten it dd

9. [​IMG]

by @aux

Since we last encountered Halsey, they've had a career re-route that has completely changed my perspective on their music. BADLANDS was a minimalist record, influenced by a lot of industrial pop's style as well as some punk, but those influences were flashes rather than fully fledged endeavours. After this release, Halsey veered away from this sound and headed towards the maximalist pop sound - hopeless fountain kingdom being the prime example of this. Halsey herself has said that her career detoured after BADLANDS. They went from being a staple of the alt-pop label to standard pop - not that it was a bad thing, but it wasn't what they wanted to do from the start.

The first instance where Halsey began to steer her career in a new direction was with "Nightmare", a phenomenal slice of punk rock that was akin to earlier songs from Halsey such as "Gasoline". The song didn't perform as well as "Without Me", Halsey's previous single, so the label got cold feet and decided to make the next record be closer to that. This led to "Graveyard", "You should be sad" and "Be Kind". In all fairness, these songs are great! But one can see the remnants of a fantastic punk-ish angry album in "You should be sad" and other cuts of the record.

It wasn't only until If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power that Halsey was able to fully steer their career into the direction they have wanted from the beginning. The record, produced by Nine Inch Nails, is a concept album about Halsey's pregnancy and the difficulties that came before it and during it seen through a body horror lens. The LP is the angry punk album fans have craved for ages, following the minimalist sounds of the debut album. Despite the anger that comes through in many of the tracks, there is also a soft and vulnerable side to the album that truly makes the record flow and explode when it needs to. "You asked for this" is one of the centrepieces of the album, where the body horror themes really shine - it sees Halsey having to grow up and accept the difficulties of pregnancy, one that she has literally asked for after years of suffering with endometriosis.

Halsey's career - four albums deep - is ever-changing, constantly in a struggle between their pop sensibilities and their more alternative stylings. In some songs, those two are married together creating masterpieces in alt-pop. In others, they expertly navigate the genre they are partaking in at the moment.

Maki, GimmeWork, pop3blow2 and 15 others like this.
  10. Wow this is an incredible write up!! @aux really captured the complete glow up and re-evaluation of what Halsey had been doing leading up to If I can’t have Love, I want power. You should be sad in particular feels like a fun fuck you to machine gun Kelly before the start of their journey with if I can’t have Love….

pop3blow2, Crisp X, aux and 2 others like this.
  11. Good thing Track 10 wasn't a single (or many of the other songs on Pop 2) or I wouldn't been even more of a rate villain dd.

12. Today...

once again, for the third time in a row, one artist will be losing their second song (Kyla La Grange, Lorde or MARINA), and another their third (Charli XCX, CHVRCHES, Ellie Goulding or Santigold).

Maki, BubblegumBoy, slaybellz and 7 others like this.
  13. Kii. Stream If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power tho.

soratami likes this.
    slaybellz and soratami like this.
  15. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Kyla and CHVRCHES I'm so sorry etc etc xx

soratami likes this.
  16. Ummm...I don't wanna lose a Kyla, Lorde or MARINA song. I suppose it will probably be Hummingbird, since too many people have called for it, but I'm not happy about it. If it's Neverland though...
    As for the other one, well...*clears throat* GET. CLAWS. OUT!
    You both need God, and new ears xx.

17. Sorry if I make you cry. Party time—hop inside. We're so high—roller coaster ride.

[​IMG]

18. I can confirm that... claws isn't being eliminated today

[​IMG]

Maki, GimmeWork, Serg. and 7 others like this.
  19. Okay, well this made me smile because I like the lyrics so ha.
    Thanks for shooting down my hope I guess ddd.

20. claws should be Charli's last remaining song, like what the fuck we smokin' in here?

soratami likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.