QUIRKY POP RATE: EVOLUTION | It's done. | Page 40 | The Popjustice Forum

QUIRKY POP RATE: EVOLUTION | It's done.

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Would have gotten a 10 from me!

Attis, elektroxx and soratami like this.
  2. Orange Trees is still a 0, maybe a 0,5 on a good day.

3. Handmade Electric Chair. That's all.

Untouchable Ace, Maki and soratami like this.
  4. Even as a known Solar Power hater, I’d rather listen to Mood Ring for 24 consecutive hours than ever hear Orange Trees again.

5. 2014

2014 Staff Member

All the talent here and we're talking about Love + Fear? Vom.

soratami likes this.
  6. I have some bad news. I've been feeling sick all day (I think Ms. COVID might have finally got me, but not 100% sure since the test I ordered didn't get delivered), so I'm going to have to put this rate on pause for a little bit, because I'm really not feeling well enough to be focusing on preparing these elimations. It shouldn't be too long though, and in the meanwhile if anyone's feeling up for doing some guest eliminations, just let me know and I'll send you the necessary information. If not, we'll just continue in a few days.

7. Feel better!! This gives me a chance to get some write ups in. One is written just needs to be edited. The other one is for La roux.

8. Thank you!

@Attis, @Maki and @Music Is Death offered to do some guest eliminations, so they'll be taking over for the next few days.

9. R27

R27

Feel better soon and take all the time you need!

pop3blow2, slaybellz, Dijah. and 6 others like this.
  10. Oh NO! So sorry darling! Don't worry about us. Hope you feel better soon. xx @soratami

11. Hope you have a speedy recovery!!

12. Hi!!

Ugh, nevermind. Bye.

#71 (1)

[​IMG]

CRYING ON THE INSIDE
    LITTLE BOOTS 3/6
    10 (3) @Remorque @berserkboi Music Is Death | 9.5 (3) @BubblegumBoy @pop3blow2 @Oleander
    3 @j267 | 5 @Sprockrooster
    @soratami's score: 9

#72 - #66 - #71 - #70 - #71

Oh right I signed up for this. *sigh* Fine. Crying On The Inside was released on January 21 of this year as the third single from Little Boots's fourth studio album, Tomorrow's Yesterdays. In an interview with NME, Victoria (which is low-key one of my favorite names by the way) said, "It’s about putting on a brave face when running into personal challenges; something I think we can all relate to...I actually wrote the song some time ago with Carly Rae-Jepsen in mind, but she didn’t take it and the track has always been one of my favourites...I shared the original demo with my Patreon channel, and everyone really encouraged me to re-record it for myself and put it on the new album. I tried to channel a bit of a Fleetwood Mac ‘Dreams’ vibe, but ultimately I think it’s just a classic happy-sad pop song." Though I would have really loved to hear Carly on this, I'm glad she did end up recording it as it is my personally favorite Little Boots song in the rate. For one, I love the lyrics. They're beautifully simple in the best ways. I especially love the second verse and "Trade pain for poetry." It just hits right. And I'm a sucker for "faking happy" songs anyway. Think Fake Happy by Paramore (my favorite example) or fake smile by Ariana. Or even something like Party Girl by Hey Violet. I'm a sucker for songs like that. I'm also a sucker for sad but made it boppy synth pop and this is a great example of that as well. It's kinda low-key boppy and not in your face "Dance to this now!" which I feel like a lot of songs in this vein can be. The drums are a nice head bopper and the synth keys add to the emotion and honestly might make you wanna cry more but it also invites you to clap your hands along at a couple points, like the bridge. It's just really great production. I still haven't done a deep dive into Little Boots's music (I've only listened to Hands in full nn) but I have liked or loved pretty much every song across these three rates so I definitely plan on doing that, hopefully soon. I do love the other two singles and the title track (which sounds like a perfect closer) from Tomorrow's Yesterdays though so that may end up being my favorite Little Boots album when I listen to it. This song absolutely deserved better and I can't believe it's out before claws since I expected the voters to eat this up. I'll never understand it here dddd. It's a good thing I love this place anyway.

@R27 (7.8) "She sounds a bit like Stevie Nicks on this one."

@unnameable (8) "I do like a good miserybanger"

@Trouble in Paradise (8) "I keep hearing so we read white history and it takes me out, dd but this is a fun lil 80s cruiser."

@DJHazey (9) "I wanted to like this so much more once it started and by the end of the second chorus, I did. Everyone loves a melancholy bop. For a few nanoseconds I hear Belinda Carlisle for some reason. Or the Debbie Gibson comeback album she released last year. In other words a modern take on late 80s big pop girl."

@pop3blow2 (9.5) “The “fact she wrote this for Carly about killed me when I first heard that nugget. See my write-up for this rate to learn why! (How about the Buzzfeedy clickbait tease?)

@berserkboi (10) "I’ve loved this theme since the impeccable Mourir Sur Scene <3"

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
  13. R27

R27

Well, there goes my favourite Little Boots track in the rate.

14. It was low-key hard not replying to commentary since I'm so used to doing that in my rates so I'm gonna do that now.
    I was thinking this would be perfect for the title so I'm glad @soratami and I were on the same page there dddd.
    Between the artwork, videos, sound and aesthetic, the whole era gives me those vibes so that makes sense.
    [​IMG]
    (Kidding, take your time of course dddd).

15. Disappointed to see 'Crying On The Inside' leave but it's not unexpected. At 8.25 it got a better score then the two Little Boots songs left. I wish I'd scored it higher.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  16. I haven't loved the Tomorrow's Yesterdays "era," but I do really like "Crying on the Inside." I gave it a 9.

Boots never does great in these rates, but my favorite song of hers is still in, so at least there's that!

17. That's a disappointing elimination. There's definitely alot of great retro vibes running all through it which make sit easy to get into.

18. I can definitely picture Carly singing Crying on the Inside. The Little Boots version is great, of course, but I would have loved to hear Carly's take too, or better yet, a duet between the two.

I'd love to know why LB was writing a song with Carly in mind in the first place too. It's curious because, as far as I know, she doesn't really write for other artists much.

19. "I am 20 & probably upset right now."

It's coming. I promise.

I could actually see LB becoming something of a 'Cathy Dennis of her generation' if the cards fell the right way. She can certainly collaborate & has great pop songwriting/production sensibilities... and she has enough indie cred + major-label experience/success I think that would appeal to large swatch of different styles of artists.... especially as some nostalgia for the late 00s/early 10's sets in.

Sorry for run-on sentence ramble, this something I have obviously thought a lot about. dd

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.