♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results | Page 127 | The Popjustice Forum

♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Honestly that kinda weird video where he mimes having sex on stage... made me feel things.

[​IMG]

Bubblegum Bitch
    Electra Heart 5/6
    10 (13) @DJHazey soratami @saviodxl @boombazookajoe @Ana Raquel @dontkillmyvibe @Pinky25 @Untouchable Ace @Pineapple @Stradiwhovius @Ugly Beauty @Verandi @Runawaywithme | 9.5 (8) @Phonetics Girl @Hurricane Drunk @Dijah. @Remyky22 @M24 @berserkboi @Music Is Death @junkos
    3 (2) @j267 @Alphableat | 4 (2) @Lapras @Blond

#71 - #61 - #41 - #36 - #41 - #49 - #47

Seven eliminations after Fear And Loathing, Marina loses her second song in the rate. I really thought this would have been the first Marina song out and wouldn't have done nearly as well as it did, so I'm quite pleased with this result. As you can see above, a lot of people gave Bubblegum Bitch perfect or near perfect scores, which prevented it from doing even better.

Bubblegum Bitch was written by Marina and Rick Nowels (who worked on a total of five Electra Heart songs, though the other four didn't make the rate) and was produced by Nowels and Dean Reid. It was released in April 2012 as the propulsive introduction to both Electra Heart the album and Electra Heart the persona. Marina mentioned that "because that song has the lyric about a boy, ‘Dear diary we fell apart, welcome to life as Electra Heart’, it sets up what the album is about and continues in songs like “Homewrecker” and “Primadonna.”" She also said the song was inspired by Britney, who she considers to be one of her idols. Bubblegum Bitch has recently had a surge in popularity due to going viral on TikTok, and is currently Marina's third most streamed song on Spotify (after Heartbreaker and Primadonna), which is quite impressive for an album track.

There was a lot of commentary for this one, much of it focusing on the fact that Bubblegum Bitch makes for a hell of an album opener, which is very much true.

@Alphableat (3) “Angsty pastiche that wouldn’t be out of place over the credits of a teen movie. Doesn’t do it for me.”

@Sprockrooster (5) "Christ. This aged so poorly. The way I stanned this heart at the release and now start actively hating it." That's sad huh

@OspreyQueen (6) “I still think this is a glorified plot synopsis for Electra Heart and I never listen to it outside of the album.”

@ohnostalgia (6.5) “Of the more basic songs on Electra Heart, I’d rather have voted for How To Be A Heartbreaker. But back to the song we’re rating - cute, wouldn’t skip on shuffle.”

@R27 (8.25) “Such a great instant opener that perfectly sets the tone for Electra Heart.”

@Kyle. (8.5) “I totally get that this has aged like milk but there's something so infectious about this. It all fits so well into this little package of pop that burst out so well. A massive way to start the album.”

@pop3blow2 (8.8) “Still think this comes down a bit on the side of ‘try hard’. But it’s also pretty undeniable.”

@livefrommelbs (9) "Like the best kind of bubblegum, this one pops all the way off. What a way to introduce Miss Electra Heart."

@BubblegumBoy (9) “such a great album opener, it’s got quirk and sass covered from the get go... I’m gonna be a bubblegum boy.”

@Cutlery (9) "This was my first Marina song and I wasn't knowledgeable at ALL back then, and I distinctly remember thinking it/she sounded like Gwen Stefani. Welcome to the life of Electra Heart was ingrained in my mind from the first play." How did you hear this before any of the singles though?

@Dijah. (9.5) “ICONIC.”

@berserkboi (9.5) “Marina does 00s Pop Rock well!”

@DJHazey (10) “Young/new current day pop music listener: “Isn’t Marina that one with all those boring ballads?” Plays Bubblegum Bitch. *files missing persons report on account of they were blown away from the planet entirely* I think a last.FM comment described this song best by inventing a new genre: Dollcore.”

@saviodxl (10) “Playful, humorous and very quirky!”

@Untouchable Ace (10) “Straight out of the gate it's pop guitars and it really does pop your bubblegum hard. If she was the #1 popstar at the time this would have been a single. Lastly the line "Welcome to the life of Electra Heart" makes the title track redundant.”

@Pineapple (10) “Maybe one of the best album openers of all time.”

@Stradiwhovius (10) "Marina knows how to open an album I'll give her that. Queen of establishing tone and theme."

@Runawaywithme (10) “Seeing this live on the Neon Nature tour was such a moment” I really wish I'd had the chance to see Marina in one of her early tours.

@Maki (10) “This is the first (and, at the time, only) album track by Marina I've heard, shortly after discovering "Primadonna", so it has a lot of nostalgia attached to it. Funny thing is that I wouldn't listen to any other of her album tracks until about three years ago. And what a song! For sure one of her most addictive tunes, I can't stop bobbing my head to this - in fact, it caused me trouble writing commentary while listening to it. It packs so much attitude and earworm hooks in two and a half minutes and is a perfect opener of this amazing album. Makes me wish she recorded a full pop-rock album, since she's so good at it.”

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Luck, ohnostalgia, Maki and 30 others like this.
  3. This might be the first time I’ve been tagged in this rate. ICONIC SONG. Her awful current music aside, this album is legendary.

4. First, the impact of this rate in the artists release schedule once again showing its power:

And thank God it seems to be a bop and not a boring ballad!

Second, I didn't see this lasting that long, so I'm fine with a #47. I suppose Bubblegum Bitch was the first album track some people listened because it's track number 1 of Electra Heart?

Also, even if you're not on tiktok, some tiktok videos using Bubblegum Bitch will eventually invade other social medias and invade your timeline! I've seen it on Instagram a couple of times and although I hate tiktok and gen Z sometimes, it's nice they're doing this track justice: it has become Marina's 3rd most streamed track with 133 million streams, only behind Primadonna and How To Be a Heartbreaker!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Maki, OspreyQueen, londonrain and 9 others like this.
  5. I just checked the spreadsheet and it's your first main rate 10 to get eliminated (though you also gave Free a 10). This makes you the second last person to lose a main rate 10, only @Sail On still hasn't lost one.

Man's World did nothing for me, but this seems a lot more promising! I actually meant to post about it here but you beat me to it dd

Sail On, Maki, londonrain and 7 others like this.
  6. I think I’m the only one who loves Man World?

7. Last couple eliminations have all been 7s, not ideal but could be worse so i'm not complaining.

This is new? If I had just heard this with no context I would have assumed it was an old song of hers.

londonrain and soratami like this.
  8. I see we’re still continuing with the trend of eliminating-songs-before-they’re-supposed-to-be. Bubblegum Bitch is one of Marina’s very best.

9. I was just about to call for a Marina elimination, so I'm glad to see "Bubblegum Bitch" go. It would've been my first choice for the first Marina elimination, tbh.

Here's hoping that a Diana or La Roux elimination is coming next.

soratami likes this.
  10. I only discovered Marina while randomly stumbling upon Electra Heart on iTunes shortly after it was released and I listened in tracklist order, so

ohnostalgia, Maki, londonrain and 4 others like this.
  11. It's her new single, premiering in a few hours

It seems a bit Family Jewels inspired, which is why it might kind of sound like an old song I guess. Still, I'd rather have that than the faceless Spotify-friendly Love + Fear sound.

[​IMG]

Better Love
    All I Need 3/6
    10 (7) @Sprockrooster @saviodxl @Pinky25 @Untouchable Ace @Pineapple @Trouble in Paradise @Music Is Death | 9.5 (5) @DJHazey @BubblegumBoy @M24 @Conan @Cutlery
    4 (2) @Trinu 3.0 @ohnostalgia | 5 (2) @Ugly Beauty @KingBruno
    Host's score: 7

#31 - #41 - #42 - #48 - #45 - #45 - #46

Remember how at the start of the top 60 Foxes was one of the only four artists in the rate not to have lost a single song, along with Florence, Lorde and Marina? Well... so much for that. Having lost four songs within the last fourteen eliminations, Foxes is now down to just two: Body Talk and Cruel. Better Love has the least 10s of any song in the top 50, so it clearly isn't that many people's fave. Really could have vacated a bit earlier.

Better Love was written by Foxes, Dan Smith (the Bastille lead singer, who also does backing vocals in the song) and Jonny Harris and was produced by Tim Bran and Roy Kerr. It was released as the second All I Need single in September 2015, killing the campaign pretty much dead as it peaked at #133 in the UK, being the last Foxes song to even chart in the UK. Poor Cruel deserved better. It's... a song, you really would have expected something a bit less unremarkable from a collaboration between these two artists. Also, now there really aren't any songs with male vocals left in the rate, maybe that's what Marina meant by "purge the poison".

@ohnostalgia (4) “The decay.”

@Phonetics Girl (7) “shut up Bastille guy”

@OspreyQueen (7) “I actually like Bastille but I don’t think Dan Smith’s voice should be on any more songs than strictly necessary.”

@R27 (7.5) “This is essentially a Bastille song and I ain’t complaining.” Pompeii it ain't.

@berserkboi (8.5) “Nice bop!”

@londonrain (8.5) “The way the choice of singles from this album REALLY doesn’t match my faves at all… poor Foxes.” Body Talk and Cruel aside the single choices from this album really were a choice.

@livefrommelbs (9) "What a way to open the album. I remember being SO excited for what was to follow because this one set up the whole thing so strongly. Such a fab song."

@Alphableat (9) “This is the thumping beats and wailing that I crave from her.”

@Runawaywithme (9) “I loved this since I heard it for the first time. Her voice on this song is great, and I love how she actually sounds like she’s on the verge of tears, and when those big drums come in it’s an epic moment that just amplifies her vulnerability, I love the intensity of the instrumentation in the second verses. This makes me extremely nostalgic for some reason, and it always makes me think of late summer days. I love the slight soul power to her voice in this. It’s giving me shades of Florence, but a little bit less dark and more accessible, but still dramatic and epic.”

@DJHazey (9.5) “If you looked up “male vocals ruining a 10” you may see a screenshot from this video. I’d even go as far to say it might be my favorite Foxes song not named Let Go For Tonight without those nightmarish backing vocals that sound like some Imagine Dragons shit. Right when Foxes sings “and it’s killing me” is the exact moment of slayage because it’s such a perfect little transition and I’m left practically floating, that is until the chorus pops the balloon I’m riding. A 9.5, yes indeed, it’s that good without the detractors.” Stop, he's already dead.

@Sprockrooster (10) "Starting your song with an opera-esque aria. Well how could I not stan?"

@saviodxl (10) “If you know Bastille and have functioning ears you can definitely realise it's his voice in the backing vocals, which makes me love the song even more because I really admire both artists involved. Hope they work together again! Foxes' gritty tone meets Dan's deep voice is an amazing blend!”

@Pinky25 (10) “I love this! Though it’s about relationships I feel like the song can be interpreted as anything. Something that isn’t very good for you but that you keep hoping will eventually change.”

@Untouchable Ace (10) “Way to sneak in Bastille. They could have played up the east Asian influences a bit more in conjunction with the hook.”

Luck, ohnostalgia, Sail On and 23 others like this.
  13. Listened to Pompeii for the first time in ages because of that elimination, and whew

And the walls kept tumbling down in the city that we love
    Grey clouds roll over the hills, bringing darkness from above

[​IMG]

But if you close your eyes
    Does it almost feel like nothing changed at all?
    And if you close your eyes
    Does it almost feel like you've been here before?

[​IMG]

Maybe a Quirky Pop Boys rate would make some points.

14. My origin song? Out? You are really doing Marina wrong in this rate. And then Better Love. This hurts!

Do we talk about Bastille on PJ? ddd.

15. I think they were pretty popular in the forum during their first couple of eras but interest kind of waned over time? I did enjoy their debut album a lot but it's not really a group I've been keeping tabs on much since.

16. Please include Passion Pit, The Presets and Dandy Warhols when you run this!!

(Also sneak in Paradis, La Femme and Julien Doré)

17. Not sure about Dandy Warhols (aren't they more of a rock band?) but I'll keep the rest in mind. If it does happen Take A Walk is 100% in though. I think I'll keep it 10s-only, as my next rate's focused on the 00s. Anyway, it's really just an idea, and if it does happen it won't be anytime soon, but if people have other song suggestions, feel free to share.

18. I had no idea that Dan Smith provided the uncredited vocals on "Better Love." When I first listened to it, I thought that it sounded very Bastille, but I never got around to looking up its credits.
    "Cruel" was so good that Kylie Minogue ripped it off for her title track off Golden. It has to be Foxes' last song standing.

19. We already started this when preparing for the Side B rate.
    Bring that out again.

By the way new Chvrches is on the way too.

20. I gave 'Better Love' 8.5. I don't mind the backing vocals, but wish they were a little quieter in the mix, except for the 'show me a better love' moments, when they could be a bit louder.

londonrain and soratami like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.