♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results | Page 129 | The Popjustice Forum

♥ Quirky Pop Rate: Sophomore | Album rankings/stats & poll results

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Ouch! I don’t know why I didn’t see this coming! I agree with @pop3blow2 in that even though I loved the song when it first came out, I love it even more now!’ I’m already mad at how early Let Me Down Gently will go out cause the last minute voters listened to the first minute put in a 6 and moved on.

pop3blow2, soratami, DJHazey and 6 others like this.
  2. I'm worried about my eleven because I know that most of y'all lack taste.

3. I feel like Troye's debut would be a good fit for a quirky pop boys rate? I still haven't listened to it yet (dddd) but what I've heard feels almost reminiscent of the girls's poppier moments in places.

Also, I'm gonna warn y'all now that I read way to much into the "Electra Heart" character for the album's write-up. Apologies in advance for my rambling.

4. Here are some songs for consideration.
    I've chosen artists that generally wouldn't pass veto in PJSC or PJ00.
    or have had some notable success be that a top 10 album or achieving #1 spot of Triple J's Hottest 100.

It is a shame that more from each artist can not be represented in a rate.
    I like other songs that have been mentioned as well. I wasn't able to add songs I wanted from Lo-Fi-Fnk 'Pirate Radio' and Neon Indian 'Polish Girl'.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  5. This run of eliminations is killing me but yay for making the title commentary! The album will always hold a special place in my heart even if I have disowned Elly now.
    I'm fearing for my 11 now...

6. Thanks for the Quirky Pop Boys suggestions so far everyone, I'll go over them over the next few days and try coming up with a potential song list (though again, this is very much just an idea still, I don't know if it's a rate that'll actually happen, and if it does it won't be for a long while still).

As for the next elimination, it's coming in a bit. I nearly finished it yesterday right after the Uptight Downtown one, but didn't get around to actually finishing/posting it.

[​IMG]

Goodness Gracious
    Halcyon (Days) 4/6
    11 @livefrommelbs | 10 (14) @saviodxl @2014 @fatyoshi @pop3blow2 @Pinky25 @Remyky22 @Sail On @Untouchable Ace @aux @Stradiwhovius @Island @Runawaywithme @ohnostalgia @junkos | 9.75 @Conan
    0 @alphabeat | 4 @j267 | 4.5 (2) @Sleet @KingBruno
    Host's score: 9

#58 - #49 - #43 - #40 - #44 - #50 - #44

With this elimination, Ellie is now also down to half her songs, meaning one quarter of the artists in the rate still have four or more songs left: Florence (6), Jessie (5), Lorde (6) and Marina (4). Goodness Gracious is tied for the third most 10s so far, and it's also the last song in the rate to have received a 0, so let's celebrate that.

Goodness Gracious was written by Ellie Goulding, Greg Kurstin and N*t* R**ss and produced by Greg Kurstin. It was released in January 2014 as the third single from Halcyon Days, and the sixth and final single from the long Halcyon era, nearly one year and a half after Anything Could Happen. The song is about not being able to break free from an on-and-off toxic relationship, which is a big contrast with its extremely upbeat and peppy sound. According to Ellie: "I've been in situations where I knew someone wasn't right for me, yet I kept bringing them back. The song is about dissing yourself for not thinking straight and not being fair." The song was a hit, charting at #16 in the UK and top 20 in a few other countries, though it wasn't as huge as the other two Halcyon Days singles (Burn and How Long Will I Love You).

@livefrommelbs, you might want to skip past the first two pieces of commentary as the haters were feeling especially hateful towards this one:

@Alphableat (0) “The shitstain in Halcyon’s pants.” Ok...

@OspreyQueen (4.5) “I don’t know how to explain it but this song’s production sounds like the flaky skin you get after sunburn.” Ok...

@godspeed (8) “After being a huge fan of Ellie Goulding’s work on Lights and Halcyon – which is most likely one of my favorite albums ever – Halcyon Days is the moment I started to log off as a stan. However, “Goodness Gracious” has always been a nice little moment on Halcyon Days, which otherwise is the most confusing reissue ever. It is a colorful pop song full of joy that couldn’t be more different than the dark tones of Halcyon. But it’s not one of those formatted-for-the-radio-and-the-GP kind of tracks that Ellie Goulding would soon become a master at. Instead “Goodness Gracious” is a song on which she tries something new for her. It is much more upbeat and careless than any song on the original album but still has that electronic and slightly experimental touch that has always made Ellie’s music stand out. So if we’re using a yin and yang analogy to compare Halcyon and Halcyon Days, “Goodness Gracious” definitely works from that angle. It was, at the time, a glimpse of Ellie Goulding’s artistry’s lighter and more optimistic side that would later deliver ok-ish songs on Delirium.”

@R27 (8) “Okay fine, the re-release wasn’t all bad.”

@DJHazey (9) “That “calling it offff” you hear is the sound of me shrieking when my wig is blown off yet again. It’s iconic though, all of it. A dreamlike paradise in audio form.”

@berserkboi (9.5) “A great discovery!”

@Cutlery (9.5) "The best song of the rerelease! Joyful, carefree, total earworm, not embarrassing. Near 10s across the board."

@saviodxl (10) “I can hear God.” Can't spell Goulding without "God"

@pop3blow2 (10) “Gawd. She is so weird. I love her, despite it all. This could literally be a debut outtake & never quite fit the rest of the era for me (‘Burn’ for that matter, too) but I don’t know… I just really think it goes off, so I am giving it fun marks.”

@Untouchable Ace (10) “I found this to be a highly british and saccharine version of generified Ellie. I think it will need a boost so have a 10.”

@Runawaywithme (10) “This deserved to be as big (if not bigger) than Burn. I just love the energy of this, it just makes me so happy whenever I listen to it. I love the production on it and the ethereal soundscape it creates while still managing to be an absolutely huge relentless bop. The last-minute and a half of this song is pure pop bliss. It’s a real lighting-in-a bottle moment, that she’s not quite recaptured since, and maybe that’s okay because a song this perfect can only happen once in a blue moon.”

@ohnostalgia (10) “Goodness Gracious was my 11 when we did the Ellie Goulding rate. Whenever I hear it, I feel so joyous- like I could float away to a better place.”

@livefrommelbs (11) "In October 2013 I was on holiday in America. I was trying on some clothes at a H&M in San Francisco, the second-last stop on a trip that rings true in my memory as one of the greatest experiences of my twenties. While I was in the changing room, 'Goodness Gracious' came on. Since I hadn't actually listened to Halcyon in full at that point, it was the first time I'd ever heard the track. I instantly recognised Ellie's voice, but not the song itself. I Shazam'ed and immediately bought it on iTunes.
    I had the day to myself in San Fran, and I spent literal hours roaming the city's iconic streets, just utterly besotted with the place and the wistful, sugar-coated song playing on a loop in my ears. Sonically, it just felt like the perfect soundtrack for that city, that time, that day. Lyrically, it even reminded me of a beautiful, long-haired boy I'd had a 48-hour fling with days before in New Orleans but couldn't stop thinking about (I've always read the song's narrative as being about something temporary, yet strangely intoxicating).
    The whole thing just spoke to my goddamn soul, Annie - it was one of the exemplary examples of a song coming into your life at the right time. Obviously, I adored it well beyond that first day, but I think those first moments are an important part of the story. The boy from New Orleans might have been fleeting - the perfect, sunny day in San Fran might have ended - but they're intrinsically tied to 'Goodness Gracious' - a 3-minute-and-46-second time capsule of a time where life was at its most vibrant, colourful and exciting."

Luck, Sail On, Robsolete and 27 others like this.
  8. I AM LOSING ALL MY RATE 11s TODAY FFS. @soratami hath cursed me like a powerful witch.

9. Sorry, it wasn't on purpose dd, losing your 11 in two different rates within the space of less than two hours is a lot.

10. Back again to say I did not follow @soratami’s suggestion and skip the negative comments (thanks for looking out for me though boo!), and fine. I was far more preoccupied with all the positive comments - so glad so many people share in the pure, carefree joy of Goodness Gracious. Special song, worthy 11 recipient.

11. I was considering giving a zero to a track off Halcyon, but it wasn't "Goodness Gracious."

soratami and livefrommelbs like this.
  12. In case anyone missed it, Marina announced a new album yesterday

[​IMG]

It's coming June 11, so a bit after the rate is finished (unless something comes up). A shame as it would've been cool for there to be a new main rate artist album while the rate is still happening.

13. It's something of a special occasion today as it's the tenth anniversary of the release of the oldest song in the (main) rate:

The big majority of the songs/albums here were released from 2012 onward, but What The Water Gave Me, Shake It Out, Radioactive and Shake will also turn ten later this year.

14. "Bubblegum Bitch" (yay I made the thread title again for that song!) is absolutely amazing nostalgia-inducing bop that would definitely be in my top 5 out of the songs I've heard in the (main and side) rates. Obviously the best possible album opener Marina could choose and one of my all-time favourites at that.
    Me whenever the song crosses my mind:

I suppose my 10 would've propelled it a bit further if it was counted, right, @soratami?

eatyourself, londonrain and soratami like this.
  15. It would have made it place one spot higher, swapping places with Better Love. The difference between the two songs was very tiny, just 0.25 points.

londonrain and Maki like this.
  16. The elimination should have been Anything Could Happen, that is all.

17. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

I like a few of Bastille's songs (bad_news, Of The Night, Doom Days and Laura Palmer being particularly good), but along with Imagine Dragons and OneRepublic, they epitomise the kind of flavourless, genre-free slop targeted at people who want to feel like their music taste is slightly eclectic without going to the effort of actually looking for undiscovered talent. I still seethe every time I think back to when a straight boy in secondary school would take the piss out of me for listening to the Saturdays and then turn around and say their favourite song was Pompeii or Radioactive. So uhh, don't count on my votes if there's a Quirky Pop Boys rate.

Good Riddance to Goodness Gracious. Easily my least favourite song in the entire rate. There's...maybe a decent song underneath all the mess, but the production is absolutely ghastly. I have no clue how Greg Kurstin thought it was fit for release in the state it ended up in.

BubblegumBoy, aux, klow and 3 others like this.
  18. But I can count on your votes in the The Saturdays re-rate? (in a year and half or something whenever it comes up)

19. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

If the forum survives until then yes!

20. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Goodness Gracious is a cute girl!

ohnostalgia and soratami like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.